Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
mluth
Accepted Solution

Guide: replace HDD with SSD, Lenovo Y480

Lenovo
This is how I replaced my HDD with an SSD in my Lenovo Y480. I did it right away, so there were no user files to consider. I used Lenovo's One Key Recovery. Read this entire guide before you begin.

Time to completion: about one hour.

Items you will need:

-Lenovo Y480

-New SSD (I chose a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe because my research lead me to conclude it is the best available as of June 2012.)

-Small Phillips screwdriver

-Butter knife or the like to remove the HDD. There isn't a lot of space for fingers in there.

-Blank DVD-Rs

Step 1

Turn the computer on.

Step 2

Write the number "1" on a blank DVD-R and insert in into the optical drive.

Step 3

Press the small button just to the right of the power button. This launches One Key Recovery.

Step 4

Follow the on screen instructions to make the restoration disks. I chose the factory restore option, which required three DVD-Rs. Label each disk with numbers so you know in which order to use them later. Once that is finished, place DVD #1 in back into the optical drive.

Step 5

Physically remove the hard drive and insert the SSD using the instructions below.

1. Turn off and unplug the computer, flip it upside down.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Remove the access panel by removing the two screws and sliding it off.
4. Remove the two screws that hold down the hard drive bracket.
5. Carefully remove the hard drive by lifting straight up. There is a right angle SATA adapter plugged into the hard drive. This adapter comes out with the hard drive.
6. Unplug the adapter from the hard drive and plug it into the SSD.
7. Unscrew the bracket from the hard drive and screw it to the SSD.
8. Put the SSD in the bay, screw the bracket down, and replace the access panel. Don't forget to screw it in place.
9. Put the battery back in, lock it down.

Step 6

If you didn't already put the first recovery DVD in the optical drive, use a paper clip to open the optical tray and insert the disk. Close the tray, then turn the computer on to begin the restoration.

Step 7

Select the boot drive by pressing F12 when you see the Lenovo logo during startup, then select the optical/DVD drive from the list.

Step 8

Follow the on screen instructions. The first time I did this, restoration failed immediately, presumably because of a missing partition. However, after restarting the computer by doing a battery pull, then continuing from Step 6, restoration completed successfully.

I haven't benchmarked this drive, but I can tell you the Windows Experience Index is 7.9 and the boot time is 24 seconds now. The base index is 6.8 for this system now.

You will find that Windows has already enabled TRIM. However, scheduled defragmentattion was still turned on. I think system restore was automatically disabled.

Good luck,

Matt

Paper Tape
gpass90

Re: Guide: replace HDD with SSD, Lenovo Y480

Thanx for the guide.

Is it possible to create a new partition with the factory restore stuff so that the next time you would like to use the one-recovery-option you won't need the discs?

Blue Screen Again
mluth

I didn't see any option for that, and I was pretty surprised it didn't do it automatically. I am not an expert at all, so the following is a guess.

Maybe if you create a partition on the SSD first, recovery will recognize and use it.
What's DOS?
TLTommy

How has this change worked out two months later? I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. Of course the Lenovo rep said it can't be done but I knew that was incorrect.
Paper Tape
y480qs

How would you do this if you have a Y480 that comes with the 32 GB SSD+the HDD and Lenovo installs the OS on the HDD, but you want to install it on the SSD?

Paper Tape
XionCity

yes, but will one key recovery button work??? mine not working, even use acronis clone disk n recovery dvds all wont work

Paper Tape
dtxworld

battery pull? so by doing that your telling me the somehow miraculously it just worked and now u have your OS on your new SSD?
Blue Screen Again
DjBuss

What if I have the windows 8 and the OKR 8.0 with no "create recovery discs" option ?

Blue Screen Again
mluth

Sorry, spam folder caught all my Lenovo messages. It works fine. I haven't had any problems related to the SSD.
Blue Screen Again
mluth

I think you posted this message in the wrong thread. Your post doesn't seem to have any connection to anything that was said here.