Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
anushajami

Hard disk memory going down by GB...Lenovo Ideapad Y550?

Recently i have used one key recovery key to restore my laptop to factory settings.....
just after that i have realized that my hard disk memory is going down rapidly like 5 to 10 gb down a day.... i have used treesize s/w to analyze which file is occupying the max size & i found winsxs and system32 folders....Did my OS got corrupted or is this a filesystem error?

IPnaSh
Kudos: 373
Solutions: 127

Re: Hard disk memory going down by GB...Lenovo Ideapad Y550?

Open One Key Recovery and find if you have any restoration images saved. Erase them.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Community Moderator
yigit

use disk clean, delete all shadow & restore points. if it doesn't help you, there is no solution except a clean install ( using novo )

to fix re-occuring the issue, disable restore points & shadow copies.

http://www.ki-themes.com
maf
Token Ring
maf

Probably the gazillion Windows Updates being installed and the multitude of Restore points created with each update.  You can lower your Maximum Restore Point to 1% (lowest allowed - I can't believe that they didn't change this in Windows 7 with 2 TB hard drives now typical, it will store up to 20 GB of Restore points - Minimum!).  I would highly suggest another back-up restore plan.  Either use OneKey or install Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost and set up to back up incrementally to an external HD or separate partition and just turn off Windows Restore altogether.  Or if you know everything is working properly, you can just periodically purge the Restore points by turining Restore off and restarting and then turning it back on again.  Finally the page file can take up a lot of space as well.  You can control its size manually if you wish to keep it from growing too large.

Paper Tape
anushajami

I have cleaned it diskclean already...........But it's of no use............

Community Moderator
yigit

Paper Tape
anushajami

[ Edited ]

I tried it but it's of no use............

Can u please let me know if i can format my c drive & then use my one key recovery to load the operating system.

C drive(250GB) program files, etc.,........

D drive(30Gb).....drivers files are there

& then the hidden drive ~14Gb

IPnaSh
Kudos: 373
Solutions: 127

If you use OneKey Recovery, the partitions will be restored. You don't need to format them.

But, if you want to resize any of your patitions, OneKey Recovery will stop functioning.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
maf
Token Ring
maf

You should be fine.  The factory image is stored on the hidden OEM partition, not on C: drive  To access it, shut off the computer and start it back up by pressing the One-Key Restore button (Check your manual for location - on my Y560 it is right above the power button).  You should see a menu with the option to Restore factory settings from there.  If that does not work you can try a System Repair by tapping F8 continuously during reboot and selecting "System Repair" at the top.  You can also access Restore points from here if I am not mistaken, but if you have already wiped the C: partition that may not be an option.