Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
rstoegbauer

Re: Help! No wireless connection PROBLEM SOLVED

[ Edited ]

Ive spent years in desktop support, but im kinda new to wireless security encryption.  I always knew WPA and WPA2 were the newer security encryptions, but i didnt know WEP was horribly vulnerable.  I personally set up wpa2 w/ a 21 character encryption a few months from WPA after reading it will take 2 years w/ standard computing power to break the encryption, that sounded good enough for me.  Ive just read up on some old reports where scientists have broke WEP in 60 seconds.  My y430 doesnt have an option to use WEP, seemed like its being phased out.  Although my wireless router which is less than a year old still has the WEP option to setup which seems because of older devices where WEP is the their only option.  I found this info rather useful considering the topics and probs which may be seen w/ newer vs older devices.

Security set ups basically need to match.

WEP to connect to WEP,

WPA to WPA,

WPA2 to WPA2.

though im not an expert in wireless security, im rather sure WPA2-PSK with AES is the best way to go, but much older devices will not have this option. **warning my router is set up as WPA2 Personal  (PSK is not option) yet my buddies connection w/ his laptop to it is set up as WPA2-PSK and thats the only way is connects. Just fool around with similar combo's till u connect and there u go!

I know what some of this stuff means but not much, i just know some of the trends.  You dont need to know much to set anything up, just the security standard you set has to be used on each device.  Setting up a router or connecting to a network you'll have an interface or wizard to use, just make sure they match! :smileyhappy: Every router manufacturer will have the manual on their support website for assistance configuring anything, all u need is ur model and version #.

Hopefully that can help any further users understand what needs to be accomplished. Unfortunately many applications to connect (not everything uses the built in windows tool) to routers and the routers themselves all have different interfaces to go about setting this up.

Message Edited by rstoegbauer on 01-02-2009 09:47 PM
Fanfold Paper
rgboehm

I've found the easiest security to set up on your own home or small business wireless access point or router

is to use MAC addresses.  Every internet device has a unique MAC address, you just plug in your laptops or

other computers wireless MAC addresses into the WAP or router.  The wireless port will only talk to those

devices.  Simple and effective.

The only downside is sometimes finding the devices MAC address, it used to be easier  but usually it can be found.

Blue Screen Again
slave2thefur

Re: Help! No wireless connection

rstoegbauer Here's the info you requested.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Broadcom 802.11g version 4.170.75.0

BroadcomNetlink 10.86.0.0

DLINK WBR 1310 H/W B1 Firmware 2.02 -  This modem was packaged with the S10 when I purchased it directly from Lenovo at Xmas time.  I tried to upgrade the firmware, but the modem failed to reboot and I had to reset it.

The WPA2 encryption works perfectly with my other laptops, including a Thinkpad T60p. The S10 works reliably w/o wireless security.

Oddly, the S10 did work w/ WPA2 twice, for short periods, and I've been unable to find a pattern.

Token Ring
rstoegbauer

check out ur latest wireless driver... http://consumersupport.lenovo.com

Since it works fine without security and ur others do with security...... its gotta be on ur s10 end.  Have you double checked the manual settings as the others have indicated. Matching them specific to ur router settings, that it is set on wpa2 and aes/tkip and such)  other then simply clicking view networks and throwing in ur key.

Blue Screen Again
slave2thefur

I've rechecked the settings, and reentered the keys several times, so I don't believe that's the issue.  When it did work w/ WPA2, it worked for most of the day, and then simply stopped getting an IP.

When I download the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver 12.0.0.58851 from the website, double click to execute, I get the following message from Install Shield:

the setup has detected that version 4.170.075 of setup.exe is already installed.  This setup installs an earlier version 1.0.0.2.  You have to uninstall the previous version of setup.

Suggestions?

Token Ring
rstoegbauer

I know this is a huge pain, but try resetting the router again, itll be very interesting to see how long it works or if at all.

leave ur drivers alone for now as well.

Post its connection behavior here, and if it works and then dies out of no where.... Call the D-Link support and tell em ur being disconnected out of nowhere and other laptops are fine.  They should take u step by step and should be easiest for you. If that fails we'll work here until we got a solution.

In the mean time im setting up my xp workstation so provide exact 100% instruction for anything. :smileywink:

What's DOS?
02befree

Had the same problem as other users - I had a new IdeaPad Y530 w/Intel Wireless adapter.  Could connect fine to unsecured, but not to WEP.  I am an advanced user and do tech support for a living.  Uninstalled ReadyComm and that didn't help.  Updated drivers and that didn't help.  Changed the WEP key to another combination and it connected perfectly. Finicky to say the least.  Other laptops connected fine to the wifi network while this one didn't.
Token Ring
rstoegbauer

WEP security set ups on routers seems to be the main culprit once you get past the, "To ReadyComm or not to ReadyComm" issue.  As far as i know WEP is not an option on my y430 as i believe its standard is being phased out due to flaws.  If u still have issues or your not comfortable w/ ur router, post ur router model & Version and ill point you to checking your security setup.

Blue Screen Again
slave2thefur

Ok - i completely reset the DLINK, and redid the wireless security WPA-AUTO, cipher TKIP, PSK.  Once again, it worked perfectly for about 24 hours, and then failed with a message of 'limited connectivity'.  All other laptops work fine with this security setting.

Somewhere in the back of my mind...   d(>_<)b  ...  is this expectation that, purchasing a laptop and wireless router as a bundle implies that they work together...  this is frustrating!

Suggestions, anyone?

Paper Tape
DKeenly

I think I stumbled onto a solution.  My ATT router has a 10-digit WEP key, but everytime I entered it into my S-10 I got an error message saying I needed a 13-digit key.  So I went into my ATT router, disabled the standard 10-digit WEP, selected a custom WEP entered 13-digits.  Started my S-10, entered the 13-digit key and it connected wireless immediately.  So my question is:  Why when all my other wireless computers connect with a 10-digit WEP, why do I need to enter 13-digits for my S-10  (and then of course go log in with all my other computers using 13-digits?)