Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
jcaruso13

Help with Y430 laptop. Occasionally can't start it, even with one key recovery

I'm hoping someone can help me resolve the issues my girlfriend has been having with the Y430 laptop I bought for her for christmas about a year and a half ago. The problems started a few months ago. Every now and then, she can't start her computer. We've removed the battery and tried again, but sometimes it just can't get going. She has been using the one - key to boot up every now and then but sometimes the one - key doesn't boot up the computer. One time the one key found a registry error which it fixed, however it made her OS look like it was a blast from the past and she couldn't get her internet to stay up. I ended up downloading windows 7 ultimate on her computer to resolve the problem. I think it may have been a windows vista update that affected her computer. I'm not sure if this is all related or not.

Currently she is having no luck starting her computer using either the power or one key to boot up. I've heard that if I unplug the adapter, remove the battery, hard and media drives. Press the "power" button ten times in a row, holding it down for ten seconds each time and thirty seconds the last time around it should help start it again. I'm at work and will try this tonight, but could there be something else wrong with it? Should i run a registry cleaner on it once I get it started? Is there anything I could look at to see if it's loose on the motherboard?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Help with Y430 laptop. Occasionally can't start it, even with one key recovery

Things to try:

The power button idea.

Remove and reseat memory modules.

Remove hard drive, and see if it will power up.

If you can get to Windows, Back Up all important files and

Test hard drive with Lenovo hd diagnostics found HERE

If hard drive tests good, reinstall Windows.

You may have a failing hard drive or other hardware problem.

Paper Tape
jcaruso13

Re: Help with Y430 laptop. Occasionally can't start it, even with one key recovery

I'll try these ideas out when I get to her house tonight. The hard drive appears to work correctly when we can get it to start. That'd be awful if the HDD fails after just about a year, but I guess if that's all that's wrong that'd be a good thing. Thanks for the help!

Retired Guru
Duck3

And when you check it out, post back where exactly in the

boot sequence it stalls.

Doesn't boot at all?

Stops after lenovo screen?

Stops when Windows loading?

Etc.

Your post says doesn't start, but that means different things to different people!

So if it stalls loading Windows, for example, it could be just a software problem,

malware of some sort, or system file corruption.

If it doesn't start at all, more likely hardware.

Luck

Paper Tape
jcaruso13

It doesn't start at all. You press the power button and nothing turns on. Eventually, it may turn on but more times than not, it doesn't. Hitting the one key used to be effective at turning it on, and booting up (hitting cancel when getting to the recovery screen would make it re-boot again fine). More recently however, the one key won't turn the computer on either. No screen, no hard drive sound, no power key light, no nothing. I read somewhere that there could be something loose on the motherboard. Could this be something to check too?

Paper Tape
jcaruso13

btw, now that i think about it, I think i had gotten her the y510, not that it matters much in this case probably.