Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
zede

Re: Y560 Overheating?

OK, I've just (2 weeks ago) received my laptop back from local Lenovo service. It was the second time. First, it was send to service mainly due to artifacts occured during graphics cards switching - and due to several BSOD and black-outs (a few times during 8 months, but laptop was in-use very rare, a few days total). Mainboard and LED panel were replaced. After this first maintenence, the overheating problems started. 90 Celsius degrees at CPU, 99C at ATI card - due to HW Monitor. The case was very, very hot. All above during playing an rather old game (Medal of Honor Airborne), as well as during web browsing - or running nothing more than Norton360 daily virus check. All with ATI card. In my opinion - fan worked fine, but it started on in random periods - not at the right time. If fan worked - the temperature quickly run down to about 50-60C. Sometimes fan switched on just right after the system had freezed. Sometimes it started to blow (as hell) at system startup, sometimes it didn't until system hang-up. All that just right after comeback from 3 weeks maintenance at Lenovo's service. So after another two weeks I send my laptop back to service. This second time it took 4 weeks to replace just a heatsink. Here is the current situation: first day after it came from service, my laptop hanged-on 3 times. And in 3 different ways - BSOD, switch off and black screen (with no reaction on anything). All that during TV recordings via Pinnacle's USB tuner/stick. Next week it worked fine, even during several (5?) hour MPG2 to DIVX conversion (with Pinnacle's software). This week - all problems are back. Switch off during MPG2 to DIVX conversion (1hour long). Hang-on with 5 minutes of no-activity (no antivirus, just web browser open) - black screen, no reaction on anything, all keyboard lights on. One difference - this time (after heatsink exchange) temperature seems to be ok, 85C max noticed, 73C max during MPG2 to DIVX Conversion - usually about 60C. Fan works with average speed all the time - no more hurricane blows like before. And I am using internal graphics all the time. No games. I am using cooling pad with two fans, external monitor/keyboard/mouse, Win 7 Home 64bit. i3 330M CPU, 4MB RAM, 320HDD. Laptop came from service with BIOS 71 installed. Any advice? Guarantee period is still on, but after 7 weeks total in service... there are still troubles. And it seems that real troubles started after first service maintenance. The graphics artifacts weren't hurt me so much...
What's DOS?
zede

It happened again, right now. The display is on, all LEDs are on, but no reaction on mouse nor keyboard. The clock stopped. HW Monitor shows max 83C/89C on CPU's cores (the second one has always higher temperature by about 5C - at least when system is overheated). But current temperature (last one measured) is 82C/86C. Perhaps ATI graphics would be overheated as well, but now I'm working on integrated graphics, so no way to check it. After hard reset (by power switch), laptop starts, Lenovo's logo appears, the fan blows for a second and ~3 seconds after that system is going off-line. No way to get into Windows boot screen. The case is very, very hot. 5 minutes after that system starts with no problem, temperatures are 59C/64C max, current 44C/48C. Fan started to blow with more power. And the high-level sound appears - whizz-like. Right now I can't hear the fan, but I can hear the whizz from time to time. There were no such sound before. Is it possible that antivirus (Norton360) overheats my laptop? It was in quiet mode all day long, but now it is in normal mode again... There wre no more activity than video conversion (mpeg2 to mkv) when I left. And after that the system hanged out.
Paper Tape
sweetcheebs

[ Edited ]

Although this is an old thread and I'm not certain if the issue has been addressed otherwise, I can confirm that the auto shutdown issue is a bios problem and that downgrading to version 59 solves the problem by allowing the fan to run at an appropriate speed relative to system temp.

You can download version 59 by following the links in this thread:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/IdeaPad-Y560-heat-issues-with-BIOS-71/td-p/386...

The links are not in English so you will have to click around a bit to find the right link :/ Sorry but I don't know where else to download the old version. Lenovo please fix this issue!!! Lenovo laptops are great and I have always recommended your brand. Until this issue is resolved you will get negative marks and no recommendations from me!

Update 1/26/12:

I attempted to boot into safe mode to troubleshoot an unrelated issue today and experienced an abrupt shutdown. Since then the fan control issue has returned. Still on BIOS version 59. So Lenovo.....any help on this?!

Paper Tape
sweetcheebs

On a completely unrelated note, I take personal offense to the default statement underneath my username. I know DOS very well thank you very much Lenovo!
Paper Tape
shakalu

Dear Lenovo engineers,

I have 1 major questions:

I had the same issue like all ideapad y560 users: I bought my laptop with 59 bios version, I upgraded it to 71 and I had heating problems...which dissapeared when I downgaraded back to 59.....

now....I see on your Lenovo support that the last update available is : 30CN71 from 17 feb 20122.

Question: Is this upgrade safe or it will overheat again and I will loose time downgrading again? Did you fix it...I think we all offered a lot of feedback...so please give us a feedback!

What's DOS?
avinasht008

IdeaPad Y560 heat issues with BIOS

my laptop is dead. i just update bios then its happen. how can i rollback bios y560 model no. 20038. plz help me out

Bit Torrent
ishaan

Re: IdeaPad Y560 heat issues with BIOS

Hi avinasht008
Go to this link
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-ideaPad-Y560-BIOS-Recovery/m-p/37791...
Regards
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
What's DOS?
avinasht008

IdeaPad Y560 bios rollback issues

i have already done these  and now my bios  is disappear  now when  i press power buton complete black screen show even not showing bios now what should i do

Bit Torrent
ishaan

Re: IdeaPad Y560 bios rollback issues

[ Edited ]

avinasht008 wrote:

i have already done these  and now my bios  is disappear  now when  i press power buton complete black screen show even not showing bios now what should i do

Are any the lights functioning?

If no, then you have bricked your motherboard somehow and you will have to get your motherboard replaced.:smileysad:

BTW, there is another guide also if you can try once,

http://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/phoenix-bios-recovery/

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Blue Screen Again
woshka

Re: IdeaPad Y560 bios rollback issues

Hi,

My fan speed is always o n 100% of its state without relying on the temp

I've noticed from this topic that most users problems are solved by downgrading to version 59

Is there any body here that has the version 30CN59WW

All the links containg this version are dead. I need some one who has this version available so that I could be able to flash my BIOS to this version and solve this problem

my left ear is going to be lost since the fan noise is too much at its 100% stage.

Thanks

Woshka