Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
gwenzors
Accepted Solution

IdeaPad Z570 - Battery issue?

I apologize if a similar issue has been posted before, I didn't find an appropriate response for my situation when searching.

I have an IdeaPad Z570 core i5 laptop that I purchased at the end of 2011 (received it in late December).  Last night I closed my laptop (it went into sleep mode, that's how I have it set currently) and did not return to use it again until this morning.  It was connected to the AC adapter, which was connected to a wall outlet.  That being said, I think the wall outlet has issues and does not consistently function.  To make a long story short, I think the charge may have been interrupted.

This morning when I went to turn on my laptop, all of the lights were functioning (power light, battery charge light--and it was white/blue, the same as the others--and wireless communication light).  The hard drive made the usual noises it does when the computer boots up.  However, the screen remained blank.  I plugged in my desktop monitor to make sure it wasn't a display issue, and still nothing.  I turned it off and back on a few times by holding the power button like forever, but no go.  I realize the battery may have been drained, but I thought I would be able to start it up anyway as long as the ac power was connected.  I moved to a surge protector plugged into an outlet that I knew was working, and tried again.  Still no go.

I found that it might be a battery issue (by google searching) and decided to use the Lenovo Diagnose and Fix tool.  I found this article, which seemed promising, but didn't really want to mess with the CMOS battery.  I instead disconnected the AC adapter, unlocked the battery, removed it, then reinserted the battery and made sure it was held securely in place.  Then I plugged the AC adapter back in.

And now I think that may have been a huge mistake.  Now zero of the indicator lights are turning on, and nothing at all happens when I try to power up.

Am I wrong about it being a battery issue?  Did I screw up by removing the battery?  What can I do?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: IdeaPad Z570 - Battery issue?

Does not sound like you did anything wrong.

Best to contact Lenovo for warranty support on this one.
Blue Screen Again
gwenzors

Better update the thread.  

I did this (also saw other similar threads w/ similar problems).

It requires repairs :smileysad: 

Serial Port
johanisberg

Hello,

I am currently having the same issue. Already sent it in for repair and the certified Lenovo repair center here in Switzerland said everything was fine. When we got the computer back it worked for about a week then the same exact problem occurred. I was wondering if you have found a fix for this or know what the problem might have been. We're probably going to be sending it back again, but are not very excited about doing so since it obviously wasn't fixed the first time.

Thank you for any info. you can pass along!

Blue Screen Again
gwenzors

[ Edited ]

I suppose I should provide an update.  

I sent the laptop in for repairs last month and the service center replaced the motherboard and the power supply, updated the BIOS, then confirmed it to be working.  

The very day I received it I noticed that none of the fans were coming on and the laptop was getting very hot.  I installed SpeedFan and found that the CPU was idling at around 55° C and would get as high as 95° C while using a program--not even something intensive (for example, Diablo 2 or Windows Live Movie Maker).  The Thermal Management software was not doing anything when I tried cycling through the settings.  I tried performing a hard reset, still nothing functioned.  So I've sent it back out for repair, this time Lenovo paid the shipping and it has been sent back very quickly.  Of course I won't know if it's better or not until I get it (still waiting) and will try to remember to update then.

I think I read a thread where someone had a similar issue and, as you say, they sent it for repair but it returned in the same exact condition.  I'm not sure what could be happening differently in your situation, but in mine it was the motherboard and power supply--but both things that, I assume, they could not possibly examine and conclude that nothing was wrong.

(edit: fixed a typo)

Serial Port
johanisberg

Thank you for the update.

This will at least give me something to go on when sending it back this time. I appreciate the update. We are sending ours in again this week. We'll see what happens...