Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
lmclaurin777

Ideapad U260-Installing an SSD

[ Edited ]

I have been looking all over the internet for help with replacing my original hard drive with an SSD drive.  The only thing I was able to find was the tear down of the machine on this website.  It showed all of the screws and parts, but it wasn't THAT helpful when it came down to it.  The bottom line is this; I took a chance, and after a few stumbles, I did it.  The difference in speed in boot-up and shut down is enormous.  There is no noise or heat from the hard drive now (in my mind, any reduction in heat is a plus), and my I3 ULV is more than adequate for what I do with it.

Should you decide to do it, here are a few tips:

1. The ssd you buy is smaller than the standard ssd drives, physically.  I bought the OCZ Agility 2, and the Samsung 470 Series 120gb drives.  NEITHER of them fit!  They are simply too big, and the case would not close.  Those drives are both 9.5mm thick, and yes 2.5mm in terms of the amount of space available inside the U260 is HUGE!.  There simply is no room to spare inside this case.  I then looked at a standard 5400rpm drive for comparison, and even it is too thick.  You must use a 7mm drive, and they are not necessarily available everywhere. 

2.  You basically have to take the entire base frame apart and remove the keyboard to get to the drive.

3.  You must use a special screwdriver called a torx screwdriver.  Inside though, there are philips screws and they are pretty small.

4.  The drive I used is the 120gb Intel 320 series SSD.  It has a black spacer on the top which comes off with the removal of 4 screws.  You can then replace the screws with shorter ones (once you remove the spacer, the screws are too long to reuse), or do like I did and use black electrical tape to hold the drive together.  Once those screws are removed, it is EXACTLY 7mm thick.  I suspect most intel ssds' are the same, including the new 510 series. 

5.  The drive is not screwed into place inside the case; it's held in place by the frame itself, so it's easy to manuever once you get the case open, and there are no adapters to put on the drive before installing it.

Hope this helps.  I'm thinking about putting a video up on Youtube showing how to do this within the next week.  

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Ideapad U260-Installing an SSD

[ Edited ]

Nice, I hope you do get a video posted.

Here is the Lenovo videos for U260 hardware replacement:

http://lenovo.vo.llnwd.net/o16/U260_web/index.html

And, hope you don't have the Intel "8 mb Bug"!

Serial Port
lmclaurin777

Crap!!! I wish I knew about those resources before I did it. It would have saved me some trouble. I have read about that 8mb bug, and I'm not worried; I've already backed up my stuff! 

What's DOS?
r_fung

lmclaurin777, Awesome! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Recently purchased U260 from BestBuy. Thinking of changing HDD. I have two questions.

1. Do you notice if battery last longer with SSD? How long?
2. How do you transfer the preload OS to your new SSD? Ghost or you have to re-load?

Thanks for the answer in advance.
Community Moderator
yigit

i suggest easeus disk copy.
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

http://www.ki-themes.com
Serial Port
lmclaurin777

I always like to start from scratch.  I had not had the laptop for long, so it wasn't a big deal to start from scratch. 

What's DOS?
r_fung

Thank you both yigit and lmclaurin777.
Paper Tape
phansard

Thanks you everyone on this thread. I have ordered a Samsung 830 SSD (256GB) and will be attemtpting the complete replacement of the original HHD (with full cloning of contents/patitions) this weekend.

If any problem, will report.

Thanks and Happy St. Patrick's day to all from NYC

Serial Port
lmclaurin777

Have you measured the height of that drive?  It may be too thick!

What's DOS?
Teechop

what happened to all the videos that showed how to take the thing apart? link is broken.. I really need them in order to swap hdd for ssd