Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
ivantoar
Accepted Solution

Ideapad Y460 shut down suddenly without any notice

I bought my laptop September 2010. In the last three days, my laptop shut down by itself without any notice.

The first sudden shut down was when I'm webcaming with a contact using Windows Live Messenger. The second and third sudden shutdown is when I'm playing video games (NFS Shift 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2).

I checked Windows 7 event viewer and I got this: Event 41, Kernel-Power "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.".

What is the cause of this and what can I do to fix this? I never get this problem before and I can play games or webcam with no sudden shut down.

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Ideapad Y460 shut down suddenly without any notice

hi ivantoar

can you try to load 'last known good configuration'?
( press f8 to load when you see lenovo logo at start-up )

http://www.ki-themes.com
Fanfold Paper
ivantoar

Okay, then what should I do?

802.11n
velenoso666

[ Edited ]

Do you have a temperature monitor like this CPUID because you do live in a very hot part of the world and any build up of vent dust can effect you badly.

Fanfold Paper
ivantoar

[ Edited ]

Yes, I used Coretemp to measure temperature. Idle temperature is around 62-65 degree of Celcius, and it goes up to 93 degree of Celcius when playing games. Is it acceptable?

Community Moderator
yigit

after, restart your computer for normal mode and check if the issue persists.

by the way, as i remember maximum temperature is 100 celsius for your computer but you may be having heating issue.

i'd suggest you to check the fan is clean and thermal grease
( due to warranty conditions change by country, these suggestions may void your warranty. at this point, i suggest you to call lenovo support line )

http://www.ki-themes.com
Fanfold Paper
ivantoar

I found the problem. It's my Avast antivirus. I remembered the first day this problem happened was when I switched my antivirus to Avast, my laptop shut down suddenly during a video calling session. I suspected that it was Avast so I removed it.

Now I'm using another antivirus (the one that previously installed before Avast). Tested video calling, doing long session gaming, there is no sudden shut down even though my temperature reached 95 celcius. This is definitely nothing to do with my laptop hardware. Thanks for the help anyway :smileyhappy: