Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
parmatt

Ideapad Y550 user reviews please.

Can some of you kindly post user reviews of Y550? I'm very interested in buying this laptop(model Y550 - 41864AU), but I would like to know some feedbacks first. Especially on heat issues and Gaming performance with dedicated Graphics card.

Thanks...

Fanfold Paper
dsplscam

Re: Ideapad Y550 user reviews please.

From what I can read, the heat issue's are not just related to Lenovo Y series.  They are most of the lower priced entertainment type laptops.  Do a search on Dell laptop heat or HP laptop heat, kind of get similar comments.  I think to get away from laptops that heat up, you need to get higher priced machines or business machines.  Like the Thinkpad series, they are more for business and heavy users, they don't get as hot.  etc..   I got a belkin cooling pad w/ a fan for $30 and it's been great. 

I wil also say that the case has a lot to do with it also... I do notice that the area around the palm of my hands gets a bit warm...  I have a Thinkpad T61 that NEVER gets hot, but it's also about 4 times the cost of my Y series.    After I got my Y series and read all the posts, I got very nervous.  Then went and looked at all the machines at Bestbuy and talked to the sales guy, feel much better now.  Even with the 3 year extended warranty, my machine was cheaper and much faster than what I could have gotten at best buy.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Xeiram

I recently posted a short review of the Y550 from the review section for model 41864AU.

"Before purchasing the Y550 (41864AU), I spent a lot of time and research comparing other well-known brands for price given the quality and features provided and Lenovo came on top. This notebook is well-crafted and comes with a full assortment of ports and slots that include, to name a few, HDMI and e-sata. The build quality is what you would expect from Lenovo/IBM. It’s well-built and robust. The laptop is somewhat heavy and slightly weighs more than the Dell Inspiron 15 (15.6"), especially when the 6-cell battery is attached. Battery life is fair. When fully charged it can get over 3hrs+ from the battery only if you dim the screen to its lowest settings. But when running a game, it can last for approximately 2 hours. The touchpad is nicely textured and comfortable to use. But given the amount of space for touchpad’s scrollbar, it felt it should have been wider. The scrollbars sensitive touch doesn’t lie on the smooth vertical surface. Instead, its along the thin strip of textured area that almost runs flush with the edge of the touchpad. The graphics card (NVIDEA Geforce GT130M) runs surprisingly cool. It gets temps below 55 Degrees C when doing simple tasks such as browsing the net. And when running Unreal Tournament 2k4, it rose higher by 10 Degrees C . What makes this graphics card particularly great is that it only consumes 23 Watts. But, don’t expect to play on high detail for more demanding games like Crysis. However, games like Crysis will run fairly well on medium settings, averaging 31 fps. The processor is fast, cool, and is based on the latest 45nm technology. The speaker system is average, something you would expect from most laptops today. I did wish they included the JBL speakers, considering that it is a multimedia laptop. But then again, headphones are the perfect substitute. The system ran flawlessly under Windows 7 Ultimate RC 7100. There were some key functions I lost when running Windows 7, like the OneKey Theatre button because the driver isn’t supported. I’m still trying to figure out how to get the touch-sensitive slide bar to work with Windows 7. Also, Windows 7 offered a more accurate “Windows Experience Index” reading with a base score of 5.4. The Windows Experience Index now ranges from 1.0-7.9. Processor received a 6.0, RAM: 6.0, Graphics: 5.9, Gaming Graphics: 5.4, and Primary Hard Disk: 5.8. I swapped the 500 gig HDD with a Western Digital Scropio Black 320 GB (7200 RPM) and boot-up time was noticeably faster when compared to Vista. The LED screen is vivid, sharp, and bright but not true HD, lacking the 1080p resolution. But overall, this is an excellent, well-priced laptop for anyone that wants a sleek and powerful notebook. [[Pros: Build, Processor, Memory, Discrete Graphics, HDMI, e-sata, Grey Keyboard]] [[Cons: Pre-installed software, Battery-Life, Weight, Display Resolution]]"

I used the laptop a little more this weekend and can confirm that the touch-sensitive slide bar will light up when you install Realtek's latest Audio Drivers. But getting the software to work with the responsive touch from the navigation menu is a no-go. You also lose the One Touch Dolby feature if you install the latest Audio Driver. So, at this time, I don't recommend it.

I also ran the street fighter IV benchmark in a 80 Degree F setting and received temperature readings of at most 78 Degress C from the GPU. Below is a  link to  a shot of my desktop running SF4 benchmark test and GPU-Z.

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/sf4benchmark.jpg/

Blue Screen Again
parmatt

Hi  Xeiram
Thanks a lot for your review.
Weight is not problem to me. 70% of the time I will keep it on the desk.
I like the graphics card on Y550 and this is the reason why I choose over dell studio 1555.
Happy to hear that you swapped the 5400rpm HDD to 7200rpm and I also thinking about it.
The graphics card (NVIDEA Geforce GT130M) runs cools. This was awesome I never thought 130m runs cool.
Can you please post the 130m Graphics card benchmarks. I saw notebookcheck.net got 5300 3dmark06.
And how many days does lenovo took to ship Y550?
Thanks..

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Xeiram

Below are the scores I got running the 3DMARK06 benchmark test on my Y550.

First benchmark test is running at a resolution of 1366x768 with Anti-Aliasing OFF.

3DMark Score: 6462 3DMarks  

SM2.0 Score: 2810  

HDR/SM3.0: Score 2552  

CPU Score: 2148  

Second benchmark test is running at a resolution of 1366x768 with Anti-Aliasing (2 sample AA)
3DMark Score: 5540 3DMarks  

SM2.0 Score: 2456  

HDR/SM3.0 Score: 1989  

CPU Score: 2178

For other benchmarks on games and graphics cards you can visit: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

It took Lenovo 4 days to ship my laptop and another 3 days to receive it.

Paper Tape
Troyster

I just received my y-550 and although I don't run games on it (sorry) I have run movies and while in my lap although it gets warm not nearly as hot as  the dell and gateway I own... pleasantly surprised at this was expecting to have to get a "cool pad" but no need so far great machine nicely built and many great features while a little disappointed in the sound volume I suppose the other passengers in the plane approved of that LOL however with headphones (I use bose) movies are great very good graphics and sound. I am one that would have preferred system disks rather than the "novo" button scheme even though it makes sense for most users... I would prefer to have the disk space and do a cleam install if that became necessary, this should have been an option from Lenovo, I feel as others I have seen in the forums. Overall a great laptop for the price.
Paper Tape
jcwestbrook

I just received my Y550 yesterday and had some problems.  When I first turned it on it made this brief clicking noise like something was pressing against the exhaust fan.  I restarted and it didn't happen again so I ignored it.  Then I noticed that if I pressed on the left side of the keyboard the case would flex so much that the fan would click again.  Also if I picked up the laptop and tilted it when it was turned on - the same loud clicking could be heard - and we're talking tilting it at a normal angle to pick it up.  It was as if the fan was off balance.

Then I noticed that the access door for the memory on the bottom of the laptop wasn't seated correctly out of the box.  Part of it was bulging out.  So I turned the notebook off, took out the battery, unscrewed the door and reseated it.  There is a fan behind that door so I assume that with the door not secured it was allowing for extra flex and vibration - either way when I tilt the laptop the fan doesn't click anymore and pressing on the left side of the keyboard isn't as sensitive as it was before.  If you press a bit hard the clicking noise is there - but it is what I would consider unreasable force and wouldn't happen under normal use.  If that hadn't fixed the problem I was ready to return it immediately.

And this is a plastic body laptop - which I understand at this price point - but it does flex quite a bit.  My other gripe is that the bottom left corner on the keyboard doesn't seem to be firmly installed.  The other corners are solid and don't move - but the bottom left wiggles and has a lot of give to it.  Has anyone else seen this on theirs?  It might be another loose screw since it seems this one came out of the factory with issues.  And I won't get into Lenovo's placement of the Function key and the Control key - it is a bit maddening to think you are hitting Control but you're really hitting Function and nothing happens ...I kept hitting what I thought was control+t in Firefox for a new tab and nothing was happening.

The lid on the laptop is also completely different than the pictures shown on Lenovo.com.  It is matte black plastic with a slightly raised honeycomb pattern - it isn't rubberized like the Y650 and is not glossy with orange tints like in the pictures of the Y550.  The only orange color is the lining around the lid - the top of the lid itself doesn't have any orange tint at all.  I post some pictures later.

Otherwise the performance is great - it does have the 130M graphics and Vista 64bit and the gray keyboard (not the white one that is shown in some pictures online).  It boots up quick, loads programs nicely, and I had no problems doing a ton of web surfing last night.  I have only had it for 24 hours so I can't post an in depth review - just the issues I had out of the box.

I'm thinking about returning it because the wierd fan issues have been nagging at me and the wiggly keyboard doesn't help either.  I've also been able to use a Y650 and it feels much more solid than the Y550 (and MUCH thinner).  The only problem is that the Y650 doesn't have the specs that the Y550 does.  So you would get a great form factor and a solid build with the Y650 - but less graphics power.  The130M graphics combined with the P8700 processor really give the Y550 some nice speed.

I'm going to use the laptop over the weekend before I decide whether to return it or not.  I just can't get past needing to repair a laptop straight out of the box from the factory.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Xeiram

Sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems with your laptop. I get no clicking sound, especially when I'm applying force while typing. It seems that your laptop is defective. It was either handled without care during shipment or carelessly built. Give tech support a call and have it replaced.

The Y650's case is more solidly built because they use magnesium alloy and carbon fiber. But because it had a low performance video card , I chose to go with the Y550.

Punch Card
jmayer88

jcwestbrook,

the clicking is the hard drive locking because of Lenovo's Active Protection System.  It senses sudden changes in laptop position and locks the hard drive to prevent damage.  You can open the program up and change the sensitivity level or turn it off completely.

Paper Tape
feminaexlux

Wow, that sounds like the system (418642U) I just ordered (7/10) :smileyindifferent:

I hope you can get back to us on the weekend with whether you'll keep it or not. We'll see how my system turns out when it comes!