Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
jackflash972

Re: Ideapad Y550 user reviews please.

$17 for a disc that weighs 4 ounces at the most is pretty expensive "handling," in my book.

Also, when I ordered my laptop Lenovo charged me $10 for shipping/handling, despite the notice on the Web page from which I ordered the unit which said "Free shipping & handling."

Perhaps Lenovo uses a dictionary that's different from what the rest of the world uses.

Paper Tape
feminaexlux

I don't think it's just shipping and handling. They did mention taxes. While it's not free as in beer, it's still a better deal than upgrading to windows 7 yourself, perhaps.

"AA" means anti-alias, I figure.

Punch Card
AlaPongTai

huh... charging shipping when it said free shipping... thats interesting

you should email them about it

i was kinda bummed when it charged me recycling fee lol

Punch Card
kkdeep

Hi,

1)  Is it possible to order this notebook comes with a better resolution than 1366x768. 

2)  is there an option of matt screen. I think this one comes with glossy finish which is a strain on the eye because of mirror like reflections.

--Thanks

Kuldeep

Punch Card
AlaPongTai

Although I'm not 100% sure, I did not see options for those... 

something i observed... this whole laptop doesnt feel very sturdy... maybe because of the material (what is the material?)

and when my hands sweat and the sweat get on the palmrest , if you dont wipe it right away some dust kind of thing forms

from the sweat... yuck but maybe its just me lol 

Fanfold Paper
jackflash972

The situation is becoming even more weird.  I made a tech help call (for a minor matter) four days after receiving my laptop.  I hadn't registered it yet so, naturally, the tech couldn't find it in the system.  So he took my info and registered it right then.  Three weeks later (last Saturday) when I tried to register for the free Windows 7 upgrade, the system said that my serial number was invalid.  So I clicked on the link and registered again.  Today I received an email from Lenovo saying that "...your product is not in our records."

So I call again.  The first person I speak with can actually find my laptop in the system but tells me that Windows 7 is not available yet.  I tell him that I know this but I want to register on Lenovo's site so that I can receive the upgrade when it is released.  He apparently is not aware of the upgrade program and then tells me that my laptop (purchased in early July) is not eligible for the upgrade.  I then ask to speak with a supervisor, he puts me on hold for ten minutes and I hang up.

The second tech is, thankfully, aware of the upgrade plan, can find my laptop in her system but says that it apparently is not showing up in the "other side" of their system and that I'll need to register (again!) and provide proof of purchase. 

What a system!  And it seems rather silly to have to jump through all these hoops to register and provide proof of purchase for a product  that was purchased directly from Lenovo's Web site.  Obviously, Lenovo's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and vice-versa.

Fanfold Paper
ikaroga

Friends,

I really need urgent help in choosing between Y550-integrated graphics-  MODEL - 4186-45 U  and T500- switchable graphics or integrated graphics ??....

In short, 2 dilemmas : Thinpad T or Ideapad Y      AND    Discrete or integrated graphics

T500 gives high-end config but Y550 comes with far better speakers, HD screen and good looks.

But my main concerns are Y550 may have heating up issues, build & display quality might be less superior and battery life is less compared to T500 ( all from reviews I have seen)

I will be using Laptop manily for emails/surfing/ word, some research work on diff softwares and watching videos/movies (no gaming)....

Suggestions please...

Thank you.

Paper Tape
the1epoch

3dmark score and quick comments

[ Edited ]

I just got this laptop today and am impressed and satisfied. this is the version coming off of newegg.com with the GeForce 130M

I installed directx 10 and ran 3dmark and got the following:

3DMark Score
SM 2.0 Score
SM 3.0 Score
CPU Score

Pros

It looks very nice with the trim around the edge of the monitor.

16:9 aspect ratio

nice audio system

runs very fast

has volume control buttons

spacious keyboard

battery life is pretty good. I won't say exactly how long because that depends on the usage.

Plays crysis on high settings no problem

x64 operating system so it can utilize all 4GB of memory

Quicklaunch touchpad is pretty nifty

cons

can't move screen back past a certain point

a little bit of bloatware, but that's to be expected anyways

ctrl and fn keys are switched

only 2 usb ports

most everything is on the right side of the computer (usb ports, dvd drive, and power port)

The laptops gets rather unhappy if it reaches 10% battery life and beeps rather loudly

DVD drive is pretty loud when installing a new program from C. It's one of those where you wonder if your computer is going to blow up

this is a very good system for the price and worth taking a look at.

Message Edited by the1epoch on 08-12-2009 09:24 AM
Punch Card
heyitshien

Ideapad y550 questions

[ Edited ]

Hello there, I will be receiving my first laptop in a week or so which will happen to be a Ideapad y550.  So I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what I should do first when I get my laptop.

Which bloatwares to uninstall and to keep?

Which drivers/patches/software I should install?

Does this laptop need a cooling pad?

Should I change any BIOS settings?

Can I install the Window 7 RC? ( any negatives to installing?)

Mine is customized..here are the general specs:

P8600 2.4 GHZ

4 GB RAM

Vista home basic x 64 bit

Geforce GT 130 M

I've been reading alot on the "no Intel VT support" thread.  Can someone briefly explain what VT is...and is it important enough for me to cancel my order?  I basically just surf, watch movies, and sometimes little gaming.  None of the high-end games though.  So will this affect me in any way?

Any tips will be much appreciated.  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by heyitshien on 08-11-2009 11:39 PM
Paper Tape
teejay

Re: 3dmark score and quick comments

the1epoch wrote:

DVD drive is pretty loud when installing a new program from C. It's one of those where you wonder if your computer is going to blow up

Message Edited by the1epoch on 08-12-2009 09:24 AM

you might want to have yourDVD drive checked because mine is very very quiet even when writing DVDs