Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
uranusxt
Accepted Solution

Ideapad Y560 Battery Not Working

Hello All,

I have a Ideapad Y560 laptop, I had some issue with the battery yesterday. It worked fine until I shutdown the laptop last night. The laptop just powered off when I unplugged the AC, with battery installed. And of course I cannot boot the laptop without AC now. I installed power manager, and it says no battery installed. The battery worked fine until yesterday. When I plugged AC in, the meter shows it is charging, but the power volume is not going up.

Is it a battery failure? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Re: Ideapad Y560 Battery Not Working

Hi Uranus,

maybe you need a new battery but please test first...

- does your Y560 function properly on AC only with battery pack removed?

- shut down, remove battery, remove AC plug and charger, press power button and keep it pressed

for about 30 seconds, then reinsert battery, plug in AC, start laptop and check if battery get charged.

download the Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 Hardware Maintenance Manual V2.0,

read page 21-22  -Power system checkout-

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/UserGuide/Guide_show_1273733246573.html

keeping my fingers crossed... Zehn

Paper Tape
uranusxt

Thank you for the reply Zehn.

As for your questions:

1.Yes, it works properly with AC.

2.I will test your way when I get back home tonight, and let you know my findings.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Token Ring
BrownEye02

Another thing, I did this with my old laptop but make sure both the lock tabs for the battery are in the lock positoin. Even if one fo them isnt it allows enough room for the batter to become disconnected.

Paper Tape
uranusxt

@Zehn

I tried your way:

- shut down, remove battery, remove AC plug and charger, press power button and keep it pressed

for about 30 seconds, then reinsert battery, plug in AC, start laptop and check if battery get charged.

the battery is still not recognized.

battery.jpg

As you can see from the above screenshot, it is showing charging, but power volume never goes up, nor it can be recognized by power manager.

I can boot my laptop with AC plugged in without problem, but cannot do so with only battery installed.

@BrownEye02

Thanks for your advice. I double checked the tabs are in lock position. 

Token Ring
BrownEye02

Yeah I hope I didnt sound lame. I just wanted to make sure. You'd be suprised how many computer come into my work and this is the issue.

To me it sounds like your battery is shot. It sounds like something is worng with the board in the battery. You might be able to take it to a battery's plus to have them test it.

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Uranus... next step should be to follow the troubleshooting procedure outlined in Y560 Hardware Maintenance Manual

or to just bite the bullet and buy a new battery...

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

worst case could be to end up with 2 good batteries but a malfunctioning charging circuit. :smileyfrustrated:

Zehn

Paper Tape
uranusxt

Thank you Zehn and BrownEye02 for your advice.

I went to Batteries Plus today, and had the staff checked the battery. Looks like its voltage is too low that cannot be recognized.  "You might need a new one, it's completely dead."

This one is the original one from one and half year ago when I purchased the laptop, kinda old. Well I think the only way is to buy a new one.

Again thank you for all your help. I appreciated it.

Token Ring
BrownEye02

Stinks you have to buy a new battery but Im glad you were able to get it figured out :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
chirag1234

hello friends

at last night my laptop(y560)' windows 7 give me message like "Consider replaceing your battery"

error message

but as i read the performance of my battery life from lenovo it display "good"

lenovo good.png

so please replay me fast