Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
semperfried76

Ideapad Y560 is a piece of garbage

I've had my Ideapad Y560 for just under a month (and thank god no longer than that, because I can still take this thing back to Fry's on my next payday)- since purchasing I've experienced the following:

Grainy display (contrary to my last post on that subject, the graininess has since returned)

Frequent BSODs

A bug that causes the mouse cursor on the main display to get HUGE at random times (never happens on the external display I frequently use at work)

Frequent slowdowns, and slow startup (inexcusable in a machine with an Intel i7-QM processor.

I bought this computer for my job, remembering Lenovo used to make really dependable machines. I have instead often experienced the agony of working for an hour and a half in Photoshop, only to have my computer BSOD and lose all my work.

If there are any Lenovo employees monitoring this forum, help me fix my problems NOW or you will lose my money by Monday.

Fanfold Paper
Raydabruce

Re: Ideapad Y560 is a piece of garbage

[ Edited ]

I think you got a "lemon".  My Y560 has given me no problems at all.  I've had it just over a week now and I've been using it every day for 8 to 10 hours.  The Fry's I got mine from has a 14-day return policy.... if I notice any problem at all over the next week, mine will be going back too.   But, so far, all is well.  Try updating to the latest BIOS (ver. 57).  That may fix your problems, maybe not.

See my post about upgrading the BIOS -- if you have WinRAR installed, you'll have to manually extract the files from the 30CN57WW64.exe file and then run the winphlash program.

I don't have BSOD either. I think I'm lucky.

Also, I don't have that mouse issue. Have you try doing a fresh+clean install of Windows 7?

But I have too many problems with my LCD LED screen:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-and-Z-series/Widespread-Y560-Display-Problem/td-p/238949

no, I need to buy a copy of windows 7, if I can't return my machine, I'll be getting one tomorrow.

Fanfold Paper
semperfried76

btw, also installed bios update as soon as it came out. also updated all drivers.

Token Ring
pepemosca

You already have a genuine license of Windows 7 with your Y560, you only need to get an ISO image.

Do you happen to have a link where I can obtain one for Win 7 Home premium? I downloaded one the other day, but it turned out to be for ultimate, which I don't have a license for.

On a side note, I had quite a bit of trouble last night- after my last bsod at the office caused me to lose an hour and a half's worth of work, I shut down and left the office thinking I'd fix it when I got home. However, after trying to boot my machine, I was treated to all sorts of hang-ups, slow-downs, and network freezes. After futzing with it for about 4 hours, I booted into safe mode and disabled **bleep** near every piece of Lenovo bloatware that came with the system, including Slidenav, MuteSync, ReadyComm, Battery manager, Power management, etc... as well as the instance of SQL Server that I use for work (which never caused me any problems on the less powerful Dell my office supplied me with).Also found out that the keyboard is somecrazy-how tied to the synaptics mouse enhancements, because when I turned that off, my keyboard stopped working. Also disabled all the ATI catalyst monitoring software. I'm happy to say that since then, I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). Then again, I haven't been on it very long, either. If it gives me any trouble with the mouse today, I'll try re-installing windows, and if that doesn't fix my problem, me and the folks at Lenovo support are going to have a nice little chat about the quality of their products.

802.11n
kaiyo

couldn't you get it exchanged at fry's? it will save you a lot of trouble...

Token Ring
pepemosca

[ Edited ]
Fanfold Paper
Raydabruce

If you have an image of Windows 7 "Ultimate" or whatever edition, all you have to do is delete the "ei.cfg" file in the Sources folder.  Open up the .iso with PowerIso or some other disk image program and delete that file and save the .iso again -- then it will offer you all editions during installation and you just pick the one you want (i.e., Home Premium, etc.).