Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
jsrisagar

Re: Ideapad Y560 is a piece of garbage

Firstly, I am sorry that you had such a scary experience. It would freak most guys away reading these posts.

Having said that, I honestly am thankful that my experiences scream: 'What is this fuss all about?'

I purchased this laptop in October 2010 and haven't had a single of those above mentioned  problems. I guess Lenovo got its act together and fixed these issues.

1. The screen issue that most people crib about (you'd find a dozen videos on YouTube and made me think there was a problem in real) has never been seen on mine. Maybe people have it, mine does not!

2. Mouse Cursor issue was sorted out in august itself with ATi bringing out a driver just for this specific model. Let me remind you, this is one of the most awesome graphics card available in the market. With the marked swarming with dummy models having '1GB graphics' a vantage marketing point, this one performs for real. Have a look here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html (The 46th position HD 5730)

3. Last but not the least, the BSOD seems to have been sorted out too. More than a BIOS issue, I feel BSODs are caused by poor addressing of RAMs. This ain't an awesome RAM (667MHz only :smileysad:  ) but no Blue Screens whatsoever. I  hardly switch off my laptop for 20hrs a week!  Lots of Photoshop, gaming and Matlab but no blue screens. Although, reading this post has made me feel, this problem would crop up sooner or later.

On the brighter side, Awesome speakers, real good ones. JBL was sported on previous versions of Lenovo too. Superb keyboard, although it is not the island keys and traditional tapered keys, Lenovo makes one of the finest keyboards in market. The touchpad can be spoken about for hours!! It sports small 'pimples' (as most forums call it) and give an awesome grippy feel. And the touch pad buttons are soft and big. Real cool job on those two.

Also the interchangeable-on-the-fly graphics is a nifty feature. Although turning the graphic card on is like turning on a room heater :smileytongue: Technically, it is awesome on hardware's part that so much heat is being dissipated. The more heat lost like this, better would be the performance. A laptop cooler is necessary for gaming. Just ensure that you follow the airflow scheme of the laptop.

The design is cool and the copper heatsink visible through the perforations add an appeal like none.

People complaint about bloat ware. I am totally with them on this. Lots of bloatware. Most of them useless or already available things.

So there you are. Decide for yourself. I did not want to sound like I am advocating Lenovo but looks like I've done a crappy job so far :smileytongue:.  Make sure you get all hardware components listed. Or there could be blunders like Lenovo ignoring the need for Bluetooth hardware in mine ( although it has a visibly allocated LED for one. Lenovo said I hadn't ordered one!)

Good Luck!

Token Ring
leshcat

totally agree with jsrisagar. The only thing you can blame leonovo y560 is for really big crop of display pixel...but what the hell? You just cant have so much power for 600 Euro(mine for 600 Euro: I3,3GB RAM, 320GB 7200 RPM,SG 5730&Intel), for a laptop!
Token Ring
pepemosca

@All, haha!

I have a Y560 on sell... does anyone want it?

how much ? ^_^
What's DOS?
gradium

Just bought my y560, pretty decent laptop in my opinion except for the crappy battery life.

Token Ring
pepemosca

@gradium, how do you feel about the screen?

What LCD panel brand and model do you have?

Hey pepe, what's the easiest way to see the mfg of your LCD?

| Lenovo Y560 06465BU | i7-740QM 1.73GHz | ATI HD 5730 1GB | 15.4" HD LED 1366x768 LGD229 | Intel Wi-Fi 1000 | Win 7 HP x64 | Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | 3dMark06 8189 | BIOS v62
Token Ring
pepemosca

Go to the Device Manager, go to the video card (ATI Radeon...) and look for the "MONITOR" information.

Hope you get the idea.
Check this picture: http://yfrog.com/bhsinttulouvp

Nice, didn't realize it could be found there.

If you're running English OS, go to the "Details" tab and select "Bus relations"

Looks like I have an LG

"LGD2298"

| Lenovo Y560 06465BU | i7-740QM 1.73GHz | ATI HD 5730 1GB | 15.4" HD LED 1366x768 LGD229 | Intel Wi-Fi 1000 | Win 7 HP x64 | Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | 3dMark06 8189 | BIOS v62
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 143
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

[ Edited ]

All 

Did any one you install a clean install of windows 7 on the Y560 instead of the Lenovo image and are still facing issues?

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo