Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
daveglhr

Ideapad Z560 Question about Insydeh2O BIOS configuration - RAM Timings, Bios Advances Options

[ Edited ]

This laptop came with DDR3 1066 4gb ram (0914 model), and I upgraded it with 8gb of 1333 DDR3, yet the laptop only utilizes the ram speed of the 1066 still, (confirmed using several diagnostic utilities; AIDA 64, Speccy, etc)

I need to be able to access the advanced options in the bios to configure the ram timings. Normallly (all the time) the bios "advanced menus" are non-existant, but this ONE time where I booted it up and by luck it had ALL insydeh20 bios options unlocked (don't ask me why I chose to fiddle with the bios at that exact moment, I dont recall :smileyhappy: ) Anyway, I was hoping that there was maybe a key combination or something that I had inadvertadely pressed at that time to access these advanced options. I spent extra money getting this ram off newegg vs the original 1066 replacement oem (it was recomenned by newegg i go with the 1333)... I would hate to see my money somewhat wasted due to not being able to utilize the full clock speed of the new ram.  I should add that I have done extensive google research on this topic and I have fiddled around with modifying the "EFI" of bios to create my own custom rom, but should it really be so hard? Lenovo should allow us access to this naturally. And the i5 480m is stock clocked at 2.69 ghz but can "turbo" up to 2.9ghz. To me, I the only thing I see keeping me from reaching the 1333 is the bios menus being hidden away.

If anyone has some insight on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

802.11n
velenoso666

Re: Ideapad Z560 Question about Insydeh2O BIOS configuration - RAM Timings, Bios Advances Options

[ Edited ]

The site Compuram clearly show that your system can run on the 1333mhz ram, I think you should try updating your chipset drivers in device man. 

P.S. You could try Intel® Driver Update Utility and do an auto detect to see if it will update your chipset drivers to see if they work with the 1333mhz ram 

Blue Screen Again
daveglhr

Re: Ideapad Z560 Question about Insydeh2O BIOS configuration - RAM Timings, Bios Advances Options

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the suggestion. But I already have all my drivers up to date, and I used the intel driver automatic update utility to verify this. Also today I decided to test the ram speed under the "turbo" FSB multiplier (My CPU- the intel I5 480m is stock 2.69 ghz, but can turbo up to 2.93 ghz.) I ran furmark- a popular benchmark utility- which locked my CPU at 2.9ghz turbo'd- then checked again using AIDA64 engineer edition and Speccy. Ram is STILL locked at 533 mhz. Very frustrating because my laptop specifications are clearly listed to support the DDR3-1333 (667 Mhz). Right now it is clearly "locked" at DDR3 1066 (533 Mhz.)

My current ram timings are: 7-7-7-20. They should be 8-8-8-22 with this upgrade. The insydeh2O bios is not allowing me to change these timings, or clock frequencies. Customers should not have to create a custom BIOS just to access these options. Not only is it risky for the consumer, but its also completely unneccesary since Lenovo could spend 15 minutes unlocking the menus and upload an updated BIOS. That's what I'm asking for, and I hope it's considered. Thanks.