Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Question

Ideapad y460p : Naturally runs hot?

Using realtemp and gputemp, i noticed my CPU temp was about 66 degrees idle and 62 for the gpu.

Under heavy load, it goes up to 95 degrees cpu and 90-95 for gpu.

I bought a coolermaster x3 cooling pad, and while it was able to reduce the idle temp by about 5-10 degrees, the load temps were almost as high...92-94 degrees for cpu and 90 for gpu.

Does this model just run hot? I don't think these temps are safe for the processor or GPU...

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Re: Ideapad y460p : Naturally runs hot?

Hi Question,

Have you cleaned the fan and heat-sink-fins thoroughly? Please read this 'overheating' thread...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Z460-There-were-frequent-problems/m-p/719295#...

Zehn

Serial Port
Question

Can you recommend other things to use to clean out the fan blades and heatsink?

For example, can i use a damp cloth to clean the fan blades?

And im not sure what i can use to clean the heatsink without causing static damage....

Serial Port
Question

bump

Fanfold Paper
heebarino

Hi "Question". I'm having very similar issues with my z570. From what I hear, a little canned air should do the trick for blasting out the vents. Or a damp cloth with a little bit of rubbing alcohol.

If I can be a bit selfish: how long has your computer been running at those temps under load? Mine runs at almost identical temps for idle and load as well, and I just unpacked the sucker two weeks ago, so if you've been running hot for a year or something without any issues, it might set my mind at ease a bit.

Serial Port
Question

Yea, the laptop is 1.5 years old but i didn't check the temps at all till recently.

Canned air is very expensive here for some reason...at least $15 a can. And i don't think damp cloth would work well on the heatsink since its attached to the processor...

What about the GPU fan/heatsink? The instructions in the manual seem to be for the processor only...or are they in the same compartment?
Fanfold Paper
heebarino

I think just a teeny bit of rubbing alcohol as opposed to water might do the trick without all the scary scary of putting water on a heatsink. Also, I think the fan should be removable, right? I honestly don't know 100%, I just RTFM, which is probably what you did too, so your guess is as good as mine...

Serial Port
Question

bump