Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
bquinn

Ideapad y570, RapidDrive, SSD & HDD Questions

On 10/29/2011, I purchased an IdeaPad y570 (model 0862) with hdd=750gb  & ssd=64gb.

Honestly, I did not do much research on the specfic box, I was looking for a box with a sata rotational drive and a SSD. My plan was to have all of the Windows 7 OS functions on the 64gb SSD. (boot, system, page file, hibernation, etc)

When I got the box, I was seriously perplexed with the partitions. After hours of reading about RapidDrive, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a utility that can be run to see what files are currently being served from the SSD? I want to confirm the page file, hibernation file and major os files are on the SSD.

2) Is there a way to "pin" files onto the SSD so they are always there? Again, the page file, hibernation file, etc

3) Has anyone benchmarked running this box in RapidDrive mode versus having the OS and related on the SSD via a standard ssd=C: drive and hdd=d: drive mode?

The concept of an intelligent "cache" of files on the SSD is interesting but I want to know it is in fact working.

Any thoughts would be great!

Sincerely,

Bill

What's DOS?
jackleno123

Re: Ideapad y570, RapidDrive, SSD & HDD Questions

you might have to re-install windows for doing that...i had my eyes on this box and after some research realized that it doesnt come the way u wud expect.... http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/uk/en/HintsandTips/ShowDoc.aspx?ID=12870415982811 i think Lenovo should offer an option to install the system on ssd....i mean why wud anyone not want to have their os loaded on ssd if they are going to pay for it..... well...im holding off my purchase until i know there is no hassle in doing so....best of luck to you....can you please let me know what you find out once u get it done....Thank you.
Paper Tape
msohcw

IdeaPad-Y570 Fresh install of Windows 7 on SSD

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a fresh install of Windows 7 onto my new Y570 which I just purchased. I got a copy of windows 7 with my purchase preinstalled, and I'm currently unsure as to how I would transfer this onto the 64GB SSD partition. Most of the threads here mention using OKR to burn factory default recovery discs and then do a fresh install with that. However, the problem is that when I open the disk manager, Disk 0, which I assume, at 750GB, is the HDD is there but Disk 1 (which I assume is the SSD, is unitialised. Do I have to initialise this as a boot partition before attempting the install? As a matter of fact, I don't seem to see the disk anywhere in Explorer, so I can't even install applications onto it. If I have to initialise it, how would I go about doing that? Would it be possible for Lenovo to release a full step by step guide as to doing so?

I can see that this issue has been addressed before based on my past few hours of sieving through the forums but no satisfactory answer was given in the end. (Most threads ended somewhat abruptly.) Much appreciation would be given if this was answered. Thank you.

Sidenote: I read lots of threads about the 570 having static-noise issues when the headphones were plugged in. Upon plugging my brand new headphones in, I experienced the same issue. Currently the static has been dampened somewhat by swapping to lineout instead of headphones in the Realtek audio manager, however does Lenovo intend to address this issue at all if it is a hardware issue? (Which it seems to be at the moment, plausibly caused by EM interference from either the wificard or the HDD). Would there be a point in attempting to ask the retailer I purchased my laptop from for a replacement/repair (i.e. is it a one off fault or an across the board defect?)

Sidenote 2: This is just a pet peeve, but for a site that is frequented by more technically inclined people, perhaps a login page where the password length allowed was greater than 20 would be a good idea.

Thanks again in advance.

Token Ring
Fletchman1313

Re: IdeaPad-Y570 Fresh install of Windows 7 on SSD

RapidDrive, from what I have read, is an OPTION for users with both an SSD and a mechanical hard drive.   Before I ordered my Y570, I asked a sales rep (via chat) about whether or not the OS was installed on the SSD or whether the SSD was part of some kind of caching technique (such as Intel's SRT;  at that time I didn't know about Lenovo's RapidDrive technology).  He told me that the OS was installed on the SSD, and the 750GB drive was for "all the flowers" (which I think meant documents and stuff). 

So, at this time I am assuming that Windows 7 will be installed on the SSD, and I will have the option to implement RapidDrive based on what I've read on this site and from what the rep told me.  I guess I'll find out for sure when I actually receive the unit.   I'll let you know what happens.

(on the other hand, I've read through a lot of posts and messages about people having trouble with their SSD/SATA setup.  Yikes.)

Paper Tape
msohcw

On my side, my retailer told me the OS was not running on the SSD, and based on the disk manager, I don't think anything is running on it at all. Any ideas anyone?

Blue Screen Again
bquinn

From what I gather, Lenovo has built its own device driver where the SSD and the HDD are a "sort of" virtual hard drive.

Stated another way, Lenovo's driver is attempting to intelligently cache frequently used content onto the HDD. The theory being that much of the Windows OS files are rarely used so that content would not be on the SSD but frequently used stuff such as pagefile.sys, hibernate, etc should always be on the ssd.

My disappointment is that there is not a utility to show that it is working.

I pondered blowing the drives away and installing windows directly onto the ssd but decided to simply trust Lenovo and get on down the road.

Token Ring
Fletchman1313

Well, I received my Y570 today.  It looks like RapidDrive has already been enabled.  So no option. 

I looked through the site and found this link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT027129 which shows you how to put RapidDrive back on after reinstalling windows.  That link also explains that there's a bug in Disk Manager and that you can see the SSD in the Device Manager. 

I've decided to follow bquinn and just leave everything in place and let RapidDrive do its thing.  The computer is so **bleep** fast compared to my last one I can't tell how fast it's supposed to be anyway.  

Token Ring
Fletchman1313

Hey, one last follow up.

I called tech support, and they told me that they will not assist with removing RapidDrive because they only help when things are broken, and RapidDrive is not broken.  So there's no support.  

I'm just going to leave it on until I have to upgrade from Windows 7.  I hope that if either the SSD or the SATA fails sometime down the line I don't get screwed.   I do feel a little funny though, because I kinda feel like I don't have complete control over my laptop.  Oh well.  

Blue Screen Again
bquinn

Agreed! That said, it is fast the way it is.
Paper Tape
msohcw

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know then, given that rapiddrive merges the two drives into a virtual drive if a) there are benefits/ways of configuring things to STAY on the SSD with rapiddrive? I don't like the idea of a drive I can't control either. b) if TRIM is enabled? I know that Win7 automatically uses TRIM with SSDs it detects, but I don't think it can detect them due to rapiddrive. I had errors trying to access it with Disk Management, but a bug is returned. If it doesn't use TRIM I might have to just reinstall Windows and not install rapiddrive. Thanks again