Support in other languages: 
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

Re: Intel Chip set Design Problem: would it affect lenovo notebook Y560p?

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2011/02/01/what-to-do-if-you-have-a-flawed-sandy-bridge-desktop/

Lenovo has made a statement.  look in control panel, device manager, in your chipset.  if it says series 6 c200 that's it.

New chipsets aren't going to be available until the end of Feb.  

Intel's footing the bill for this. Lenovo will make this right.  But they can't do too much without new boards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Paper Tape
towfique

Re: Y460p - Processor Concern - Intel finds Sandy Bridge chipset design flaw

Thanks Mark.

Paper Tape
danbuehring

[ Edited ]

Considering only sata ports 2 thru 5 are affected by the cougar point sata controller defect; are y560p notebooks unaffected?

ie - are sata ports 0 & 1 the only one utilized for storage and media connections, HDD/DVD etc.?

If so, we should expect to use our y560p systems with no identified issues for the life of the product, yes?

Thanks!

Punch Card
Pharcyder1406

These are the entries in my Y560P device manager:

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7

So it looks like there are four sata ports.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
The_Optimyst

Re: Processor Concern - Intel finds Sandy Bridge chipset design flaw

Tagging along for the info...

W520 | i7-2720QM | 8 GB PC3-10600 | NVIDIA Quadro 1000M | 500 GB HDD
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

Pharcyder,

Right click on your hard drive in device manager and click properties.  The location is probably going to read 0.

Right click on your media player the same way and I'll bet the location says 3.

The ports that you listed are the ports that aren't being used.  

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,308
Solutions: 283

[ Edited ]

All,

Here is an update Lenovo released today... I'll continue to update this thread with additional details as they become available.  The information on the support site should be available later today.

"Following Intel’s announcement confirming a design issue in their recently released support chip, the Intel 6 Series, Lenovo will be putting in place a special service program that will enable customers who purchased affected PCs to receive a system board replacement free-of-charge, as soon as those parts become available. Details of the special service program will be available on the Lenovo support page within the next 15 days.

As of February 1, 2011, Lenovo has stopped shipping all products with an Intel 6 Series chipset. Lenovo is working with Intel on the technical details and we will have further updates as appropriate.

Please go to www.lenovo.com/support for further information.

Lenovo wants to reassure its customers that it is safe to use their Idea-branded PCs with Intel 6-series chipsets, and that customers’ data is not threatened by this issue. Lenovo also wants to reassure its customers that the probability of failure in these Intel system boards is very low, and estimated to be less than five percent over three years, well within industry averages for system board failure rates. As a result, the large majority of Lenovo customers will continue to use their new Lenovo PC with Intel 6 Series chipset with no evidence of failure.

Possible Lenovo models affected may include the latest generation of IdeaPad laptops and IdeaCentre desktop PCs, including:

IdeaPad laptop – Y460P, Y560P, Z570, G470, G570, V370, V470, V570, B470, B570

IdeaCentre desktop – K330, K330A, B520

Of these, we have shipped a limited number of units with the affected Intel chip worldwide.

In the meantime, we want to reassure our customers that Lenovo stands behind its products, and we will do whatever it takes to maintain our customers’ satisfaction. If any customer is not satisfied with the system board replacement program, we will work with our customers to find an alternative remedy, including a full refund. "

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Ctrl-Alt-Del
The_Optimyst

[ Edited ]

@Mark_Lenovo Thanks for updating.  The y560p I've ordered has not been released from the warehouse.  Could you check into the procedure being implemented at Lenovo to handle situations like this?  Will it be released and repaired later or will it be fixed before it ships?  Will there be an alternative system available, for example  Anand Lal Shimpi from anandtech.com wrote in his blog here: http://bit.ly/hy6BoK:

"At CES I spoke with Intel at length about the frustrating nature of the P67/H67 feature segmentation. The fact that there's no chipset that will let you use Intel's processor graphics and overclock your CPU is a major oversight. Intel's Z68 chipset will address this shortcoming, as well as add additional features (e.g. SSD caching) that are exclusive to Z68. I am disappointed that Intel wasn't better prepared on the chipset side at the SNB launch and today's announcement is icing on the cake. If you're going to have to wait to buy anyway I would recommend waiting until Z68 motherboards hit the market.

For existing owners, I would hope that Intel and the motherboard manufacturers might offer some sort of a trade-up or trade-in program to move to Z68 since you're going to have to replace your motherboard anyway."

If the  Z platform is supposedly stable, may this be an option?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

W520 | i7-2720QM | 8 GB PC3-10600 | NVIDIA Quadro 1000M | 500 GB HDD
Fanfold Paper
alexandrjackson

According to Intel, the processors affected are :
Quad-Core Desktop Processors:

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K
    Intel® Core™ i5-2500S
    Intel® Core™ i5-2500T
    Intel® Core™ i5-2500
    Intel® Core™ i5-2400
    Intel® Core™ i5-2400S
    Intel® Core™ i5-2300

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor

Quad-Core Laptop Processors:

Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM
    Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM

Quad-Core Desktop Processors:

Intel® Core™ i7-2600K
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600S
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition

Quad-Core Laptop Processors:

Intel® Core™ i7-2920XM

I am using Intel Core i7-2630 QM in my Y560P laptop. So does it mean it is not affected, although it is based on Sandy Bridge processor?

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,308
Solutions: 283

The_Optimyst,

I think the view is that Lenovo & Intel will provide a fully functional product that meets the specifications of what was sold to the customer.  While some of these tangent articles are interesting, I'm not sure we should look for this as a trade up opportunity.  To fundamentally change the system board would mean we'd need to re-spin the preload image, restart all the testing, and potentially change model and specs.

In your case we are stop ship until updated stock from intel arrives (target is March) and we can restart system production on these models and execute a plan to replace the boards in systems that exist in customer hands today.

This is developing in real time.

Since your product has not shipped, you could elect to cancel the order and try to rebook another model with a differnet chipset that could ship now with no concerns, or you could keep the order as a backorder knowing that it will ship as designed once we have the updated parts available from intel, or you could cancel and await future model (Y570, etc) that will be available once we have updated parts as well.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español