Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
micellis

Laptop Won't Charge while doing anything taxing

Hi guys, 

Anytime I am doing anything taxing, such as a game a HD movie or something similar the power light + battery light + front power light begins to blink in synchronous fashion.  The power lights are white and the battery light is orange, the same color as it would be for a low battery signal. The battery symbol on the task bar shows the laptop as running off of pure battery, it does not even mention the laptop as 'plugged in, not charging'. This is with my Nvidia GT 555 enabled via the optimus switch.  I have tested this with a few different games, Team Fortress 2, Elder Scrolls V, etc and this always happens as soon as I enter the game.  

Any one had a similar issue or know of a similar issue and how to fix it? 

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

Re: Laptop Won't Charge while doing anything taxing

micellis, you have the same issue I had/have per the description below I posted in earlier last month.  What I've found is the issue occurs when the battery is below 50% charge level and the CPU temperature is around 60C.  It leads me to suspect the issue has something to do with the charging circuit shutting down when the Lithium Ion battery temperature reaches a certain limit (to avoid a battery fire), but I don't know for certain.  I hope you're more successful in getting a solution to this issue from Lenovo than I have been.  Several other posters have described the same issue with a variety of IdeaPad models, so I don't believe it's specific to any one model.  Hope this helps.

----------------------

This is the second new IdeaPad Y470 I've ordered from Lenovo in as many weeks that has the same exact problem as the first new Y470 I returned to Lenovo after only four days of use.  Simply put, the machine quits charging the battery for no apparent reason and on a completely random basis.  Note that I am fully aware of the difference between the Maximum Battery Runtime and Maximum Battery Health settings in the Lenovo Energy Management software.  The problem I'm experiencing occurs REGARDLESS of which of these two modes the machine is in, and it occurs regardless of which AC adapter is plugged in (I ordered a spare adapter with both of these machines, so the problem has occurred with four different AC adapters).  THIS IS IMPORTANT... WHEN THE PROBLEM OCCURS, THE ROUND MAIN POWER BUTTON LIGHT BEGINS TO FLASH, AS DOES THE WHITE POWER LIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TOUCHPAD.  ALSO, THE BATTERY LIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TOUCHPAD FLASHES RED.  When these three lights are flashing, mousing over the battery icon indicates that the machine is running solely on battery power, with no power being supplied from the AC adapter even though it is properly plugged in.  It doesn't even say "plugged in - not charging"...it's as if the AC adapter is not even plugged in.  And btw, the battery in both of these machines was properly installed.  This machine is only a week old, and this problem started within one day of using it, as did the very same problem show up on the Y470 machine that I returned to Lenovo after only four days of use.  When the three lights start flashing, EVEN A REBOOT OF THE COMPUTER DOES NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM.  THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE MACHINE TO RESUME CHARGING THE BATTERY IS TO UNPLUG AND RE-PLUG IN THE AC ADAPTER.  It's easy to suspect a motherboard and/or physical adapter plug connection problem, but again, this same exact problem has now occurred on two brand new Y470 machines using four difference AC adapters.  I am convinced Lenovo has a serious problem with these machines that they are refusing to acknowledge (the tech help line folks don't have a clue).  I just hope they can fix it with a software and/or BIOS upgrade, and soon!!!  The first step is acknowledging the problem....

Paper Tape
micellis

My laptop does this regardless of battery charge level, it is indeed strange

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

[ Edited ]

Check your internal component temperatures when the problem occurs...you might find that "...doing anything taxing" is elevating the temp beyond maximum rated temperature of the Lithium Ion battery, which happens to be 60C.

Paper Tape
micellis

yep thats it, which the fact that the GPU idles at 50c anyways COMPLETELY renders doing anything on this laptop useless

Paper Tape
micellis

What battery charger do you have? 65W? or the 90W or 120W?

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

[ Edited ]

I have both the 120W AC Adapter that came with the Y470 machine, as well as a Lenovo 65W adapter for use away from the office.  The charging problem described above occurs regardless of which adapter I use.

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

Btw micellis, the manifestation of this charging issue on both of our machines is consistent with my theory that this has something to do with a battery threshold temperature being reached/exceeded during the charging process.  In my case, I don't use programs that tax my machine other than Photoshop.  The reason (I believe) the problem occurs when charging my battery when it's below 50% charge is that lithium ion batteries produce more heat (while being charged or discharged) if they are at lower charge capacities versus a higher charge capacities.  Therefore, it's more likely my battery is reaching a threshold temp that turns off the charging process when the battery is below 50% capacity.

In your case, you're taxing your system with GPU-intensive games that increase the temperature of the battery when you're running your system on battery.  Therefore, you're likely reaching that threshold temperature even when your battery is above 50% charge capacity.  At least that's my theory...sure would be nice to get some help from the experts at Lenovo to help solve this problem with our machines.

Paper Tape
micellis

I believe my problem MIGHT be that I have been using a 65W charger, instead of the one that came with it... Does anyone know which charger ships standard with the y570?

Paper Tape
tmarket

[ Edited ]

I received a i7 quad core Y470 Ideapad from Lenovo that came with a 65W PA-1650-56LC adapter.  Is that normal?  The battery is 65W so how is a 65W adapter going to power the laptop and charge at the same time?  In fact the Y470 seems to not be charging the battery at all (tested with two battery packs), whether the laptop is on or off for extended periods of time (>8hours).