Re: Lenovo Custom Program Settings - y560

hey sendsouth,

could you PM to me the following :

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM -
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

S/N:
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Description of issue :

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
peregrinus99

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same problem with the y460. To make matters worse, I actually sent it in to their tech support and they supposedly replaced the keyboard and updated the Bios and within 20 minutes of powering it up after I got it back from them the same exact problem cropped up again. The keyboard acts satanic, it actually somehow managed to delete almost my entire external hard drive that I had connected to the laptop to back up some files on it.

It is indeed related somehow to their own Battery/Energy management software, it renders their Y and S series Ideapads total lemons and turns them into expensive paperweights. It happened to me within 4 weeks of ownership, if it hasn't happened to you yet it surely will, you're forewarned.

I'm actually quite furious that their so-called repair technicians supposedly "extensively tested" it to correct the reported problem. Well they ought to all be fired and I should get my money back. No wonder, it's shoddy workmanship, there's a reason this is a separate line from the solid Thinkpads they inherited from IBM.

Moderator note; comment(s) contravening the forum rules dleted

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

pereginus99,

I appreciate that you are frustrated.  You say the keyboard acts up - do you mean that characters other than what you type come out?   There are some sofware applications that can cause this.

Please check this KB article in the forum to see if you have the guarded ID application installed.   Some ISP's like comcast have been noted to provide security programs as part of their connection packages that include similar code.

I'm not sure I understand how the keyboard acting up could wipe out data on your attached external hard disk?

If the power management software were defective, I would have thought that this would have happened immediately rather than after four months weeks, and that as we have shipped many Y460 / Y560 that we would have a very large discussion on this by now.  Is it possible that their is some software interaction going on between the Lenovo software, power management and some additional software like the Guarded ID software I noted above?

When did you first notice the problems?  Had you installed anything new on the system shortly before?   Let's try to figure this out...

Best regards,

Mark

Edit (changed months to weeks - meant weeks as pereginsu99 said and somehow typed months).

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
peregrinus99

Hi Mark,

Not sure where you read four months, I owned it less than four weeks when the problems occured. I've still owned it less than two months now but I've barely used the monstrosity. Typically I'd be typing something and a Lenovo Custom Program Settings window would pop up and the keyboard malfunctions immediately.

I've already spent my precious time talking to three different ppl in your tech support department over the course of two weeks,  I sent it in to your repair center in Texas, they sent it back in a week claiming to have replaced a malfunctioning keyboard, and "extensively tested" it. Within 20 minutes of powering up after I got it back from your repair depot the exact same problem recurred.

There is no Guard ID installed, I already told your tech support folks on the phone and I've checked for that myself. I initially thought it was the Battery or Power management software because I uninstalled most of the Lenovo programs one by one and it seemed to fix the issue for a few minutes so I thought I narrowed it down to the Energy management but now it's still a recurring problem.

Also, the tech support ppl made me do a one key recovery back to to a clean slate, there was nothing installed but the OS and the initial bundle of software. So then they thought it was MacAfee Anti Virus bundle, and typical, while on the phone with the techs, they uninstalled it remotely and things seemed to work long enough for me to hang up, only to crop up again immediately thereafter.

I did make the mistake of moving some audio files to the laptop that I wanted to transfer so I hooked up my external HD to it then the keyboard took over again and deleted almost 200 GB of files I had on there. It gets stuck on particular keys, sometimes it's M or backslash or the Enter key. This happens even when you're not even using the keyboard, the keys aren't stuck or even touched yet it still gets triggered. I've tried in safe mode with the same problem and even hooked up an external USB keyboard and had the same thing recur. I never expected this from a brand new laptop.

Here's a youtube video of exactly what happens, except this is a mild case, my own case is much worse.

http://youtu.be/IzazxNKHI0o

At this point I want a full refund, I'll never get my files back and this thing is obviously a lemon, I just want my money back so I can go buy something else, but I'm just not getting through to anyone.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Peregrinus99,

First, apologies for the weeks / months thing.  That was just a typo on my part ... maybe I have something wrong with my keyboard too?  Except in my case, I think it was just operator error.

You have a really interesting issue.  Does this consistently happen around the 20 minute mark from a cold start?  (something warming up and then triggering the error) or is it completely random warm or cold?

I won't torture you here with more problem determination, I'm just interested because we've been unable to solve this, and based on the video it has happened to someone else so it is not a total fluke.

We can try to work it out more here, and / or if you will send me a private message with your contact information - name, address, phone, the system model and serial # and (if you have them) any prior case numbers (although we can look them up based on the serial).   I'll open a formal complaint and we can explore other options to resolve this for you.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Retired Employee
Serge1410

hey peregrinus99

could you pm to me the following

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

S/N:
Date of Purchase:

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Operating System :

Energy Management version :

Bios Version :

Chipset Version

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Blue Screen Again
sendsouth

Perigrinus I hear you!!!

The Y560 is a joke.

I have been trying to get help for this issue and have had the same 'PM me your details message'.

Allthough I have given up trying to get help (I will explain why in a minute), I think other potential buyers need to be warned that if they buy one of these computers, they are POTENTIALLY buying a Lemon.

As per my posts on this thread before, I have had LOTS of trouble with the Y560 laptop in that when I use the onboard keyboard, programs randomly open, the page resizes, the cursor automatically drops to the next line messing up what I am writing, the page I am working on can minimize bringing up something else. It is IMPOSSIBLE to use with the onnboard keyboard. I have removed Lenovo Energy management and the problem has continued. (it just doesnt open the Custom Program Settings program when I press 'M' anymore....it does all sorts of other things instead).

I spoke to where I bought it from (Centrecom in Bendigo, Australia) who didnt exactly fill me with confidence it would be replaced or fixed. They told me that it was probably a software issue and they would send it back to Lenovo which would take a couple of weeks. They suggested I reset the Y560 Laptop to default (like it was originally with all the 'extra software'. I did this and after spending about 10 minutes on it without adding any software (basically just typing in notepad) I couldnt get the problem to re-occur.

I was still pretty nervous about using the laptop as I use it for my small business and dont have lots of time to play around with it 'testing', and I certainly am not in a position to go without a laptop for a couple of weeks whilst Lenovo 'Look' at it.

I rang the dealer back who said basically that if the problem is not happening after I reset the computer then it is a sofware issue and there is no guarantee on software related issues. He told me it would be a waste of time sending it back to Lenovo as they would say the same thing.

Feeling defeated and apprehensive, I set the laptop back up with programs I use (nothing obscure...Microsoft, Adobe etc) and you guessed it...The problem came back with a vengeance once i started using it in the office making the laptop nothing more than a portable desktop computer provided I use a external keyboard.

I have NOT got the time to try and remove and reinstall program after program in a pointless attempt to identify software that may be causing the problem. I dont believe it is software related. It doesnt just happen in 1 program, it happens whenever I type whether it be an email, in word, on Facebook, in Gmail and so on.

And if I pay $1100 for a new laptop I expect it to be reliable regardless of what software I am using!!!

The Lenovo guy who asked for my details on this thread asked me if I wanted his help or if I will be going back to where I bought it. I told him I wanted either the laptop replaced or my money refunded. I cant do without a computer while Lenovo takes it for a couple of weeks to just tell me it's a 'software' issue. Not suprisingly I havent heard anything since.

Who has time when the laptop is at default (with no programs I want to use) to play with it for days on end until the problem happens?? I have already wasted enough time on this laptop. You dont have to be Einstein to realise that the problem is only going to happen when it is being used heavily (typing fast, using it as a business tool etc).

And as for using the laptop for a while without a problem..Yes I used this laptop happily for about 3 months without a problem and WITH all the programs I normally use on ANY laptop without a hitch. Far more likely to be a hardware problem for several reasons that should be obvious.

I have put this down to experience and now only use the Y560 laptop as a desktop computer with external Keyboard. I have gone out and bought an Ipad for all my portable work when I need a computer that I can reliably type on without it having a meltdown like the Lenovo Y560 does.

Thankfully the world market is now a transparent market place with the internet allowing unhappy customers like me to warn others. I cant help feeling like I have been conned out of my money with no real support. I have learnt to stick to the brands that havent let me down in the past like HP and Toshiba. Ive even used Acers that would run rings around the Y560 for reliability.

Let me know Perigrinus if you have any more luck than I did!

Jamie 

Blue Screen Again
sendsouth

Mark from Lenovo

I'd like you to open a formal complaint for me too

Thanks

Punch Card
Rockdrum

After reading the and tried all the "solutions", I registered into the forum. Well, I have just the same problem as you guys, and it started 2 days after a "one key recovery". I have used this laptop from november 2010, with no big problems just some overheating and the left hinge problem, but never a problem like this one, magicaly after the first one key recovery it unleashed.

I don't understand how this can be a hardware problem, I haven't tried a "clean"  windows instalation without al the useless lenovo software. If someone had tried it, please post the results.

I'm from Chile, and I bought the laptop in the US, I am under warranty, but I don't know if it will be useful in Chile.

Lenovo team, I need  a solution asap.

Blue Screen Again
sendsouth

I believe its a hardware issue because when you use a USB keyboard the problem doesnt happen. If it was a software issue like it has been suggested to me, Surely the same problems would occur regardless of whether you pressed a key on the laptop keyboard or a USB keyboard.

Either way Im afraid Im stuck with a dodgy laptop that Lenovo clearly are willing to replace.

And if Lenovo and the supplier believe it's a software related issue (ie something Ive installed) then they need to warn customers clearly that their laptops only works with SOME programs and you are on your own once you have paid the money regardless of warranty.

Jamie