Support in other languages: 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y470 Gaming FPS Lag

@Oppo,

Please check the thread posted by yigit, see link below which will bring you directly to the solution.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/Y570-Why-do-games-run-better-off-my-battery-...

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
mmaaddict78

Just another suggestion to try even though yigit and jamez's advice prolly fixed your problem. You may want to check what programs are running in the background. Things like Norton and other bloatware like them tend to be resource hogs and will cause your system to slow down.
Fanfold Paper
Oppo

I have already fiddled with battery management and the problem still surfaces.

Also i have nothing running but the games themselves, my CPU usage is nowhere near maxed out,

I am sure that is not the problem.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@Oppo,

Try going into the BIOS of the Y470 and do a BIOS factory reset.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
Oppo

Ok I'll give that a shot.

Paper Tape
prifkind

Do you have the NVIDIA GPU Control Panel software installed?  I noticed that you need to add specific applications to the "Manage 3d Settings" portion of the control panel.  

So open NVIDIA GPU Control Panel -> click "Manage 3D Settings" on the left -> click the "Program Settings" tab on the right.

Next, click "Add" in the "Select a Program to Optimize" area, choose the *.exe for the game.  Then select "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" from the drop-down box below the "Add" dialogue.

You can customize what "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" actually does from the "Global Settings" tab.

Again, it does not seem that you will experience full GPU usage without adjusting this setting.

Fanfold Paper
Oppo

[ Edited ]

I reset my BIOS and yes, I have all applicable programs set to "nvidia high performance" in the NVIDIA GPU control pannel.

The problem still exists however.

My theory is that the games I am playing are switching between integrated and dedicated cards, resulting in serious frame rate reductions. This theory is backed by the fact that the dedicated GPU usage spikes downward on consistent intervals, suggesting the program has, for some reason, stopped using it, and has switched to the integrated card.

Is there any fix to this? Has this problem ever been reported or is it a rare occurrence? 
This is only a theory of mine I would like to have it confirmed or denied.  

Fanfold Paper
Oppo

I've been posting with the guys on the Nvidia forums, we believe it to be the work of the optimus technology in the mobile cards, that is, in badly ported games it switches between the integrated and discrete GPU's for no reason. I'll post any updates as I troubleshoot. 

Paper Tape
orangejuicy

Hey I'm having similar issues with my Y470 when playing games such as League of Legends and D3 Beta. Like you said before, I've tried updating my drivers and it didn't fix anything. My fps will randomly drop from 60 to 5 for a few seconds and go back up to 60, during which the sound gets really distorted and at times i hear a beep from my speakers. Please let me know if you find out anything to fix this problem.

Fanfold Paper
Oppo

D3 Just runs awfully. The 550M should be able to run it at high settings on my native res, but it fails to even run it at a consistent frame rate on low at 800x600. Is it just me or is it my card? It skyrockets to temps about 75-85 deg C and then lags horribly. I have no idea what to do here anymore. Reinstall the game, go to stable driver versions, nothing works ever.