Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
chaoshusky

Lenovo Ideapad Z570 Dead under warranty, what next?

After reading what i have on various forums, seems we're not the only people facing this issue. The laptop, Z570 (1024-6JG) was a christmas present to a child recently diagnosed with aspergers. This laptop is the only computer they have, and she has to attend a Virtual Classroom. She has now basically lost her work and cannot access her education.

The laptop in question has suddenly stopped working. It was shut down normally, kept safe on a desk, lid was closed. Came to it the next morning and....nothing happens. There are no LEDs lighting up whatsoever, not even the charge LED, which worked before. It does not respond to the power button at all, with just battery, just mains charger or both!

Basically, what i really need is for Lenovo to actually support a product for once. So what are the options? I have read that one option is to have one sent out so we can swap the hard drives around - that would be perfect. The other option is to be sent or, if it will resolve the issue quickly, purchase a motherboard from you. I can't seem to source one anywhere on the internet, seems i need to contact you (Lenovo) directly. Any help in this matter would be much appreciated. I just didn't want to ring some number just to be told it was the wrong one or there's nothing that could be done. For a laptop that isn't even 6 months old yet, i find it scandalous that it can just suddenly die like this. What happened to the legendary reliability that is IBM Thinkpad? The most recent IBM laptop to die on me was a very old model featuring a Pentium 3! And the only reason it died is because someone decided to stand on it, breaking the screen. Something that old isn't worth the cost of repair, but this Lenovo Z570 most definitely is. I will repeat: BUYING A MOTHERBOARD IS PERFECTLY FINE. I'm aware this would void any warranty upon replacing it, but it's the only other viable solution that doesn't need the laptop sending off for weeks at a time. This is what we wish to avoid, and i cannot express enough how imperative it is that this matter is resolved as soon as possible (yesterday, ideally! it's rather urgent!!!) as we really don't want the hassle of Trading Standards or having the laptop replaced and losing all data on it. It was purchased from PC world before christmas last  year. What is the chances of them doing a straight swap for a different/same model? We really don't want to be left in the dark or waiting weeks.

I'll state this again, for the benefit of all the support people that just seem to give out a pre-scripted answer, never a personal one, we've already tried everything we could find on the net to get it to switch on, all the reset procedures and so on and so forth. All that has achieved is losing even more time. I really hope this issue can be resolved quickly, as £580 for a laptop that doesn't even last half a year really does take the pee, especially if we can't get this one repaired or replaced for free as it's under warranty!!! Although i am prepared to pay a reasonable sum to obtain a new, working motherboard. What are the chances of it being the button panel, and not the motherboard?

Yours sincerely,

Lee Ball

Paper Tape
chaoshusky

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Z570 Dead under warranty, what next?

I see activity in other threads but not this one. Are Lenovo really this bad at customer support? Is this situation going to get ugly?

Paper Tape
chaoshusky

Is everybody really this unfriendly, or do you expect me to go to a UK only forum? I don't think we'll ever buy another Lenovo product at this rate! :smileysad: Such a shame, the laptop was really rather good....when it was able to turn on!

Paper Tape
chaoshusky

Lenovo Z570 no power-on!

I'll keep it shorter, sweeter, and less demanding, considering you all ignored my last thread. We're ringing the usual numbers now, if that gets us nowhere however, i'll be back here.

Just before it died/refused to turn on, apparently the lights were on but the screen had gone blank, and did not respond to any key presses etc, so had to be turned off by holding the power button. Sounds like the GPU to me? HP/Compaq had a similar problem with older laptops using GeForce 6/7/8 chipsets, bad soldering, similar to Microsoft's XBox 360 with RRoD or the PS3 with YLoD.

Paper Tape
chaoshusky

Lenovo Z570 dead under warranty.

All joking aside, as my previous thread got deleted anyway, despite some quite personal content, we got in touch with the UK support number and the laptop's being picked up. Seems to be a common fault. I tell you what though, you americans sure aren't friendly people. A reply merely stating the UK support number would've been nice. Lenovo Europe don't seem to 'suck' but you US folk must be far more disgruntled, as the service is apparently terrible there. First laptop from IBM (Lenovo) i've personally observed to ever go wrong on it's own without user accidents and so on. And it's not even a year old, just half that. Rather shocking really for £580 (about 900 bucks or USD, not used a converter) which isn't cheap!

Broadband 3G
countrywise

Re: Lenovo Z570 dead under warranty.

İ have to agree with the above poster,in that Lenovo Support in Europe seems to be far better,compared with that in the U.S.When i bought my Z570  İdeaPad and asked re warranty and service,i was told by the sales person,that if i ran into any problems during the warranty period,all i had to do,was either return the laptop to them and they would send it to Lenovo for service,OR i could contact Lenovo directly and they would pick it up from my house,and deliver it back to me themselves.

Fortunately so far(1.5 months later) everything is going well so....

But the lack of service in the U.S where the customer is expected to even pay to send the pc  back to them,

is simply Unacceptable.

Shocking really.

Serial Port
johanisberg

Re: Lenovo Z570 dead under warranty.

Hello,

My Z570 has the same problem. Sent it to repair center in Switzerland (computer was bought in US but Switzerland is where I am based) got it back without any explanation of what was done to it. The computer works for about a week then the same problem occurred. After being a Lenovo/IBM customer for years looks like I will be switching to a MAC or another company...sad really because I really liked the thinkpad series.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

Chaoshusky,

Sorry that you didn't receive a reply previously on this thread - that is rather unfortunate.   While we are a peer to peer support forum, and there is little that we are going to be able to do for you if you have a solid hardware failure (which you seem to have encountered) other than to refer you to service,  we should have replied.   I apologize.

Calling the support line and obtaining warranty service based on the terms and conditions of the warranty is the right course of action.

Failures of this type most likely trace back to the BIOS chip, and we have been working through this problem for several months, as it can affect multiple Idea and Think systems.  This was limited to a production time period, but not all the systems produced during that time are affected (due to multiple component suppliers and which lots may have been affected) 

We have been screening the service part supply to ensure replacements won't have a repeat failure.

Please let us know if there are any complications with service.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
pawan_ml

Hi Mark

i have encountered same issue with my z570 after 1 month of purchase.

support people are not ready to accept it.  they replaced motherboard and battery but its still dead.

anyway you can help me.  i am really disappointed as bought this laptop for my studies.

Pawan Soni

Serial Port
johanisberg

Hello Pawan,

I had the same issue a few months ago. Try some of the things listed on my Z570 thread below. With mine if I took the battery out for about 4 days and let it sit without trying to turn it on then after the fourth day hooked up the battery and plugged it in it would work. BUT it would keep shutting down and going dead after a few days of use. So once I got it working again I did the BIOS update (you'll see in the thread and since then everything is running smoothly!! Give it a try if you can get it to turn do the updates.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Z570-Problems/td-p/745627