Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
chriscc

Lenovo U300s Boot Up Time

Hi folks. I've now got my U300s for just a little over a month. An interesting observation I have made is that the boot up time has significantly increased.

Once I first got the laptop, it would reach the login page in 11 seconds and then take a further 2 seconds to fully stabilize after logging in. I actually timed this just to see if Lenovo's 10 second claim was accurate.

Then a week or two later, the login page was reached in 13 seconds, and took 3 seconds to stabilize thereafter.

Now, it takes 18 seconds to reach the login page and a further 7 seconds to stabilize.

At this rate, it is alarming as I only have had the laptop for 1 month. I never expected the drop to be so drastic.

Just to be sure, I only installed a few apps (Firefox, Security Essentials, Full Office, Flash, Java and Adobe Reader), and all these within the first few days of use. Since then, I have not installed a single new app. All I do is browse the Internet.

My computer is totally free of viruses. I defragment my disk and clean it up as well. I cannot understand why is there a drop-off, considering I obviously do not use my machine to the max. All the apps I installed are pretty clean and basic. My usage, like I mentioned, is basically Firefox plus a little office.

Is this the same case for you? I would like to get a reply!

PS: Would be good if you can share your boot up time to the login page, and the further time it takes to stabalize after logging in (you can see the blue loading circle on the cursor). Also include the period of time for which you've had your machine.

Paper Tape
nwkwang

Re: Lenovo U300s Boot Up Time

The fastest time I have is 14 secs and it takes about 2 -3 secs to stabilize . The boot up time has never been under 10 secs.
802.11n
velenoso666

[ Edited ]

Try going to system configuration (type it in search or copy & paste) select it from the search result, then under the start tab, uncheck all those things you mightn't use every time you use your U300, like "Adobe Reader & office" then restart.

This should speed up your boot time seeing that MS office (or any other office like Open) takes a while to load for one, maybe you could tell us if this made a difference.

P.S. This will speed up boot time but when you open office files, Adobe files and or anything else you uncheck will take longer to load seeing they're no longer in ram.

Disabling services that normally run at boot time might cause some programs to malfunction or result...

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi chriscc

To add on, it is not advisable to defrag SSD. It would not improve the performance, in fact it degrades the performance and lifespan of the SSD.

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dol​by-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/6...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Slate-Tablets/​IdeaPad-Tablet-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/td-p/715

Paper Tape
chriscc

Ok cool. Thanks for the advice man. So far I have defragged 2 or 3 times. Would that do much harm? Will keep in mind to not repeat it again.

Paper Tape
chriscc

Actually I have already disabled many programs from starting up during start up. Now none start up except the important Windows programs. Besides, after having done this a week or so ago, I didn't see any improvement in my start up time.

Guru
PeterTWJ

You could try go to Start, type msconfig and enter, go to Boot, Advanced Options, check the number of processors and select the maximum number, click OK twice and restart your computer, this should make it a bit faster.

It should be ok if it does not continue to slow down drastically.

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dol​by-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/6...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Slate-Tablets/​IdeaPad-Tablet-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/td-p/715