Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lisai9093
Accepted Solution

Lenovo U410 - Cannot access to BIOS

[ Edited ]

After I press Fn+F2, the message in the bottom left cornor changed from "press fn+f2 ..." to "waiting". But then it goes to windows system.

I also tried with F2 with no success. Fn+F12 doesn't even change the message at startup screen.

I suspect there is something to do with Windows 8 installation in UEFI mode. Since then I have this BIOS problem.

Trying to disconnect BIOS battery along with all other power source. It shows a checksum error and message "press F2 for boot options." So I press F2, but it just goes back to Windows again. After that, there is no more error message but the problem is still there. Nothing changes basically.

Is there any BIOS recovery method for this laptop available? There is still no BIOS file in the official website though.

RMattoo
Topics: 3
Kudos: 94
Solutions: 91

Re: Lenovo U410 - Cannot access to BIOS

Hi ,

Welcome To Lenovo Community

For U410 the default option to enter Bios is Fn +F2 if it is set to hotkey mode under bios

If it is set to legacy mode you need to use F2 ,

Since you have tried both the options , now other way of checking will be to disconnect hard drive and ssd  from the system and check by pressing Fn+F2  or F2

It is recommended to visit nearest Lenovo local service center to have system verified  

Hope This Helps

Cheers!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
packrat

Hi,   I also have the bios access problem on my machine....

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I also have the bios access problem on my machine. I've upgraded my Windows 7 (Home premium x64 SP1 on GPT partitioned disk with UEFI boot enabled) to Windows 8 Pro and I cannot access the BIOS with the F2 key on startup.

I followed the instructions in this article

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

but the related options in the advanced troubleshooting sections did not appear:

Photo 2012.10.29. 7 20 13-001_600x600_100KB.jpg

Punch Card
Liken

Hi Packrat,

I got a huge problem. Tried to re-partition the u410 messed it up badly. So I tried to re-install windows 7 (had a look at some of your other posts and did not seem too bad, though I finally also managed to break the Raid). But I never managed to get Win 7 installed ;-(

Then I finally had the idea it perhaps had to do with the UEFI boot enabled and disabled it. BAD idea: now I no longer can get into the bios at all.

BTW - I tried ANYTHING to get windows 7 re-installed, with raid, without, with raid driver, without, on the HDD, on the SDD, repartitionion with GPARTED, several different Windows installation disks, windows setup would always stall at ca. 21% etraction of the drivers. How in the world did you ever get Windows re-instaalled on this machine.

Mine now is a dead brick. I wish I had never touched any partition!

Token Ring
packrat

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I you haven't tried yet, disable the rapid start feature for the install. Delete all partitions from the disk in windows setup and press next.

Breaking the raid is not a big deal because its only used for cache data, it can be rebuild under Windows once is installed with the Rapid Storage util.

But for me, I've finally locked my self out of the BIOS permanently... I cant access it by pressing any key on the keyboard, and after starting up the system it always shows this:

And because I cannot access the BIOS and boot device selection menu i cannot do anything about this.

Please Lenovo provide a solution for this UEFI problem!

Punch Card
Liken

Hi Packrat,
I have tried everything, broken the RAID, etc. It simply does not install and with disabling UEFI boot in the bios I am now also locked out completely out of the bios...
Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 81
Kudos: 271
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Ok i heard lisai9093, packrat both have been locked out of BIOS access permanently after UEFI enabled with Windows 8 installed, however, Liken, your case is opposite - UEFI is disabled and caused no BIOS access. I"m not sure they are due to same issue because of the difference i stated above, but we are going to find out the commonalities.

Are you still able to tell which bios version your U410 is using now? I know you couldn't access the BIOOS for checking, perhaps you are able to recall ? That will be very helpful.

Thanks!

- Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Token Ring
packrat

Hi,

My BIOS version is 65CN13WW and still unable to use my notebook.

Punch Card
Liken

Great! finally - some response from Lenovo ;-)
I have no idea what BIOS no. I have. Funny thing is it seems to have something to do with re-partitioning my harddrive. Because every kind of setup of Win 7 from an original Windows CD failed I used GParted on a LinuxMint Live CD to get rid of all partitions on both drives SDD and HDD. That must have also deleted the EFI partition where I believe now some of the UEFI biose files must have been stored. I just recreated a FAT32 partition of 100MB size an labeled it EFI. If I set it to boot partition I now no longer get the message "boot manager missing, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart" instead it sais "not a bootable drive". And if I do not add a boot tag to the partition I get the endless loop of the laptop trying to re-boot from PCI. If I delete that newly created partition, I get the "boot manager missing, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart" again.

BTW - like packrat I also cannot use my Laptop at all, but in my case it is worse because windows would not even install, not on the SDD, not on the HDD...

Punch Card
Liken

Hi Cleo,

if it helps I confirm again that I disabled UEFI in the Bios and then had no longer access. Which is really kind of strange because I did the formatting before and the bios was still available....