Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
andrewbaxter

Lenovo Y480 Review

[ Edited ]

If anyone's interested in the new Y480 series and has questions, feel free to ask.  I just got the laptop from TigerDirect.com last week and posted a review of the Y480 today.  I'll paste the conclusion here for those that just skip to the end of reviews anyway :smileywink:

The IdeaPad Y480 is a worthy successor to the acclaimed Y70 and Y470p.   For the most part Lenovo has stuck to the winning formula of the Y470 – that being producing a mobile 14” laptop that has all the performance of larger 15 – 17” laptops while keeping the price under $1,000.  The new Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge processor is a nice improvement, offering around a 20% performance boost of similar previous generation Intel processors.  The Nvidia 640M LE graphics card is similar in performance to the AMD 7690M, but once Lenovo starts rolling about more configurations of the Y480 there should be more powerful options available, such as the Nvidia 650M.   Even with all that power packed into a small 14” chassis the heat and noise were a non-issue, Lenovo engineers should be commended for developing a cooling system that works well.

As with anything, not everything is perfect about the Y480.  Some people will be disappointed not to see a higher resolution screen option, for now Lenovo is sticking to just a 1366 x 768 screen option.  The glossy screen and bezel will deter some more conservative buyers.  The Y480’s battery life has actually decreased relative to the Y470 that was able to achieve six hours, not what we expected with Intel touting the power saving abilities of Ivy Bridge.

For the most part though, the Y480 is an improvement.  The backlit keyboard alone is enough to make this reviewer choose the Y480 over the Y470 given the choice.  The Y480 should especially appeal to students who want something both powerful and mobile.  Ultrabooks are all the rage now, but they can’t touch the power and performance you get with the Y480 for the same price.

Full Review

Happy to respond to questions here.  I have used the Y470/Y470P too so can answer any questions regarding comparisons.

802.11n
velenoso666

Re: Lenovo Y480 Review

Has it got switchable graphics?

Serial Port
andrewbaxter

Yes, Intel HD 4000 or Nvidia GT 640M, you can use the Nvidia control panel to choose between always dedicated graphics, always integrated graphics, choose which applications use what, or simply dynamic switching.  There's no physical switch on the laptop itself to turn on and off like some past Optimus models.

802.11n
velenoso666

Any chance of posting pics of the Nvidia control panel so as we can see how you would choose between the dedicated graphics and integrated graphics?

Thx

Serial Port
madseason

Co you give results of some benchamrks - 3DMark06, 11, Vantage?
=============================================================================================
y460, i7 640m, 8GB 1066 CL-7, 80GB SSD Intel 310 pci-e + 500GB HDD WD, ATI 5650m + eGPU GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Serial Port
andrewbaxter

I did run 11 and Vantage but not 06, here are those scores:

3DMark 11:1,333

3DMark Vantage: 5,587

Serial Port
andrewbaxter

[ Edited ]

Sure, I'll post later today.  It's fairly simple, I'll also check to see if you can enable/disable in the BIOS.

UPDATE: You can enable/disable switchable graphics in the BIOS if you want.  Below is a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel for managing graphics. 

y480-graphics.png

802.11n
velenoso666

[ Edited ]

Looks as if the C/P screen shot show that the panel is much the same as the Y570, but the fact that you can switch from dynamic to fixed is what I wanted to see.

Bad job lenovo, no kudos to you66.JPG

Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

Turn integrated graphics OFF in BIOS?

andrewbaxter wrote:

Sure, I'll post later today.  It's fairly simple, I'll also check to see if you can enable/disable in the BIOS.

UPDATE: You can enable/disable switchable graphics in the BIOS if you want.  Below is a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel for managing graphics. 

Hey Andrew, sorry to be a pain, but wnen you have a moment, can you check the BIOS setting?  I'm specifically wondering if there's an option to turn integrated graphics off -- as I understand, the two BIOS options on earlier models are  "use both graphics modes (i.e., switchable)" vs. "use integrated only."  I'm hoping the Y480 can force use of the NVIDIA card!

Thanks,

-Matt

802.11n
velenoso666

Re: Turn integrated graphics OFF in BIOS?

gadgetrants wrote:

Hey Andrew, sorry to be a pain, but wnen you have a moment, can you check the BIOS setting?  I'm specifically wondering if there's an option to turn integrated graphics off -- as I understand, the two BIOS options on earlier models are  "use both graphics modes (i.e., switchable)" vs. "use integrated only."  I'm hoping the Y480 can force use of the NVIDIA card!

Thanks,

-Matt

I think that's what "You can enable/disable switchable graphics in the BIOS if you wan" means. You can change it to fixed mode from dynamic. " meaning when on fixed mode you have to choose manually which graphic mode you want to use, as in power saving (HD Intel) or performance (Nvida).