Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

Re: Turn integrated graphics OFF in BIOS?

jradetsk wrote:

i have a qustion though about the y480 its reading the post above. the y480 has the 640m le not the standard 640m on lenovo's site it says just 640m. how do you know its the weaker LE version

The LE is the only card mentioned in the Y480 spec sheet:

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/system_data/y480_tech_specs.pdf

And Andrew confirmed it on the unit he picked up from Tigerdirect:

http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-ideapad-y480-review-2012-04

If you scan through the comments there (ignore my posts!  LOL), a recent one (from Dennis) suggests that the 2GB 640m listed is not the LE version.  I'd love to see an owner confirm that.

http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-ideapad-y480-review-2012-04/comment-page-1#comment-12359

Also, if you have some time, check this out too:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M-LE.72199.0.html

-Matt

What's DOS?
jradetsk

oh yeah i never did it in linux with a lenovo. the only lenovo i own has intel graphics and no discrete card. i look forward to getting a nice built lenovo y480. but yeah the two i did it on was hp's. one was like 5 years ago hp made a weird laptop that had both integrated intel and an ati x1300 i had. both were weirdly integrated too. and they did not work at the same time. most people did not even know the integrated intel was on there. but when i opened it up i noticed it was. hp was to lazy to have one bord for integrate and one for ati. so if your ordered the ati it was the intel bored with an ati on it. if you chose the intel version of the computer it just did no have the extra ati. really weird. but i noticed mine had both and they said yeah depending on what driver you install either one will work. but back then i could not install both drivers or they would conflict. **bleep**ed up laptop. and the second one i did it on was a more recent dv6t qaud hp. and man you think this lenovo is bad. that hp sucks. there bios is so **bleep**ed up if you dont use the old ati driver from hp then neither of the two gpu's work correctly at all. really really **bleep**ed up. and if you do use there driver its about half the performance it should be. dont get the hp dv6t unless you need to. you can reflash there gpu bios into another better one and then everything works thats what i did. but that computer has the same problems you have just in windows too not only linux. but i also tried it in linux and fortunately with a few tweeks i got the 6770m ati to work in linux alone with a simple single nvidia driver. nvidia drivers dont recognize the intel card unless you have a driver made by the company who made the laptop to make it work with both. also many other custom nvidia drivers or even some stock nvidia drivers will notice it but unlike the driver mad by the laptop manufacture the feature only appears if you install the intel driver too on thoughs. i assume the nvidia drivers in linux works the same. they will only recognize the intel driver if you install both intel and nvidia when installing the os. once the intel one is not there it will work like a dedicated nvidia driver. since these are generic drivers they have to make them work for laptops that have the discrete card on its own too.

What's DOS?
jradetsk

i would love to know that since i am looking at the 2 gig one in there ssd+hard drive dual bay setup laptop version. i would want to wait until they have the 640m non le at least for the power i want in these. if not the 650 to come out in these. the 64m le is great but i think they can fit better in there. we will see when they finally bid a good price on the morer powerful cards and start slapping them into the y480's i dont imagine it being long

Paper Tape
grndmstr

I'm sorry cba to read all the walls of text on this thread. How's the gaming on the Lenovo Y480? I'm thinking of buying one but I don't quite trust the GT640M LE. I'd prefer the Y580 but I can't wait for another month. Will it be worth it if I buy this, or should i choose another brand and model. The games I will probably play are the ff: crysis2, skyrim, bf3, ME3, fallout, DotA, MW3, Diablo 3. I'm sorry for breaking the topic :smileyhappy:)
Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

Actually your question is right on topic (fwiw, what does "cba" mean?).  Anyway, a resource I really like for evaluating cards is:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

which will let you select the graphics card and game(s), and displays the quality of gameplay (mainly screen size and framerate).  Checking out the 640m LE, it looks like several of the games you mentioned will be playable at medium to high settings (e.g., 1366x768 with things like AA on), except maybe Skyrim.  The catch is that the data so far are an extrapolation from lower-specc'ed cards, as notebookcheck hasn't officially tested the 640m LE yet. 

My 2 cents:  I think this is an awesome machine, and if you can hold out for another month either the Y480 or Y580 will be a great gaming machine. 

-Matt

Paper Tape
grndmstr

Thanks for your fast reply matt. CBA = Can't Be Arsed. CBA is a severe form of laziness. The thing is, my younger brother will be going to the university soon and so he would need a laptop. His classes start a month earlier than mine but still Istill have to transfer my files and other stuff. I have given him mine which means that I am left without a laptop. Yeah, I know about that notebookcheck website but as you know, they still do not have the gaming scores. I do not know a lot about specs that's why I asked. I'd really love to know if I'm making the right decision with this one. I would not want to have buyer's remorse. I saw that there were 2 kinds of 640M LE, the LE 384 pipeline and the LE 96 pipeline. The LE 384 is 1% better thatn the GT640M, but the LE 96 pipeline is 24% worse than the GT640M. So I do not exactly know which GT 640M LE card they're using. I'd be really pissed if they use the LE 96 pipeline because as I have heard, it is lower than the GT 555M that the y570 is offering.

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Re: Lenovo Y480 Review

Hi GrndMstr,

if you Could BA to read some of the walls of text on this forum, you would find out that it takes about one year to iron out

most of the bugs after a new model Lenovo laptop is released. 

When considering your susceptibility to CBA it might be worth a thought to maybe purchase a matured Y470/Y570 model

machine where at least the most troublesome issues have been resolved and avoid To BA into extensively troubleshooting

your newly acquired shiny Y480...

just my two cents :smileytongue: ... Zehn

Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

grndmstr wrote:

Thanks for your fast reply matt. CBA = Can't Be Arsed. CBA is a severe form of laziness. The thing is, my younger brother will be going to the university soon and so he would need a laptop. His classes start a month earlier than mine but still Istill have to transfer my files and other stuff. I have given him mine which means that I am left without a laptop. Yeah, I know about that notebookcheck website but as you know, they still do not have the gaming scores. I do not know a lot about specs that's why I asked. I'd really love to know if I'm making the right decision with this one. I would not want to have buyer's remorse. I saw that there were 2 kinds of 640M LE, the LE 384 pipeline and the LE 96 pipeline. The LE 384 is 1% better thatn the GT640M, but the LE 96 pipeline is 24% worse than the GT640M. So I do not exactly know which GT 640M LE card they're using. I'd be really pissed if they use the LE 96 pipeline because as I have heard, it is lower than the GT 555M that the y570 is offering.

Ah, gotcha!  :smileywink:  I think Zehnsteine hit the nail on the head:  there are a lot of conflicting details right now, and the only way to be sure is to wait a few months.  Here is my hunch at this point:

(1) Based on Andrew's review (see OP), it looks like the Y480 he picked up (from a second-party reseller) has the 640m LE with 96 pipelines/shaders.  In particular, it was roughly on par with the Radeon 7690 in the Y470p, which is in the neigborhood of the GT 550. 

(2) The "teardown" specs of the Y480/Y580 suggest there are three cards being used:

• GT640M LE /GT650M (Y480)
• GTX660M (Y580)

http://consumerdl.lenovo.com.cn/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y480Y580/Le...

So I wold assume that the card in the unit that Andrew tested is the same 640m LE that Lenovo is shipping in their units.  Of course it's also possible that they are using both variants.  Finally, it's not clear if/when they will start to offer the 650m in the Y480. 

An intriguing clue is that while the low-end Core i3 listed by Lenovo (20934QU) mentions the 640m with 1GB (no hint of the LE, but that's surely what it is), the other three (all Core i7's) list 2GB.  There's some discussion on Andrew's laptopreviews.com that the 2GB 640m cards are the standard card, not the LE version.  I would like to see an owner confirm that (they don't ship for 4+ weeks, btw).  

-Matt

Paper Tape
grndmstr

[ Edited ]

I actually read everything when the guy who replied told me that I was on topic haha. Anyways, could you possibly tell me some potential problems I might come across if I buy the y480?

@matt 

I asked a local lenovo dealer to send me the specs of their y480 and the y570 and they sent me this.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/posniy/specs.png

Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

grndmstr wrote:

I actually read everything when the guy who replied told me that I was on topic haha. Anyways, could you possibly tell me some potential problems I might come across if I buy the y480?

@matt 

I asked a local lenovo dealer to send me the specs of their y480 and the y570 and they sent me this.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn40/posniy/specs.png

Yep, those specs nearly match what Lenovo has in their listings, except for the 750GB drive:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.det...

Since the 640m LE comes with up to 2GB of memory (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M-LE.72199.0.html), I should confess that I'm taking the cynical view for now and predicting that the 640m LE w/2GB in Lenovo's specs means the LE.  :smileysad:

-Matt