Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

Re: Turn integrated graphics OFF in BIOS?

[ Edited ]

velenoso666 wrote:

gadgetrants wrote:

Hey Andrew, sorry to be a pain, but wnen you have a moment, can you check the BIOS setting?  I'm specifically wondering if there's an option to turn integrated graphics off -- as I understand, the two BIOS options on earlier models are  "use both graphics modes (i.e., switchable)" vs. "use integrated only."   I'm hoping the Y480 can force use of the NVIDIA card!

Thanks,

-Matt

I think that's what "You can enable/disable switchable graphics in the BIOS if you wan" means. You can change it to fixed mode from dynamic. " meaning when on fixed mode you have to choose manually which graphic mode you want to use, as in power saving (HD Intel) or performance (Nvida).

I hope you're right.  Unfortunately I've asked a few Y470/Y470p owners, and they explained that "disable in BIOS" means "use integrated only."  At least for that model, the only way to force discrete graphics is within Windows, and I'm planning to dual-boot and need the NVIDIA card in Ubuntu (it's a LONG story, LOL). 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/8441677-post253.html

-Matt

802.11n
velenoso666

gadgetrants wrote:

I hope you're right.  

Geez I hope so too, maybe the OP should clarify this for us and I should shut up :smileysad:

Serial Port
andrewbaxter

[ Edited ]

gadgetrants wrote:

andrewbaxter wrote:

Sure, I'll post later today.  It's fairly simple, I'll also check to see if you can enable/disable in the BIOS.

UPDATE: You can enable/disable switchable graphics in the BIOS if you want.  Below is a screenshot of the Nvidia control panel for managing graphics. 

Hey Andrew, sorry to be a pain, but wnen you have a moment, can you check the BIOS setting?  I'm specifically wondering if there's an option to turn integrated graphics off -- as I understand, the two BIOS options on earlier models are  "use both graphics modes (i.e., switchable)" vs. "use integrated only."  I'm hoping the Y480 can force use of the NVIDIA card!

Thanks,

-Matt

Matt, it does have this setting in the BIOS, you can choose betwee Integrated Only or Switchable.  However, to clarify, you're forcing integrated on, you can only "force" the dedicated on via the Nvidia Control panel or select which program should use dedicated vs. integrated.  You cannot force dedicated to be always on via the BIOS.

Hope that makes sense, and probably clarifies what you thought was the case but were hoping not to hear!

Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

Thanks Andrew, that's what I figured!  Not ideal, but for totally unknown reasons it's not yet possible to just use the NVIDIA card in Linux/Ubuntu.  The hack discussed here is as close as I can get so far:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y470-Nvidia-GPU-100-Any-Linux/m-p/507171

Apparently it's a perfect storm of (a) NVIDIA refusing to provide Optimus drivers for Linux, and (b) some errors in how Lenovo wrote the drivers for their NVIDIA cards.  :smileysad:

Oh (don't laugh) on a distant note:  I ran across your write-up of the Y480 how-to-install an SSD (which was awesome) but I think there is a minor typo when you compare Windows Experience Indexes (Indices?) on the before and after -- they mght be switched.  :smileywink:

http://www.storagereview.com/lenovo_ideapad_y480_ssd_upgrade_guide

I also mentioned on laptopreviews that the price of the Y480 has dropped:

http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-ideapad-y480-review-2012-04

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y480

-Matt

What's DOS?
jradetsk

[ Edited ]

i have actually done this with a couple of laptops like this. i had some ati's that had 2nd integrated intel cards to back up to and nvidia laptops with 2nd integrated cards. i rarely wanted in ubuntu it to be the most powerful card since it was a waste of battery since nothing in ubuntu needed that much power. accept the really new one seems to stupidly have a gpu needed gui now. i hate it. ok but yes i have done this before. idk if laptops bios have changed since. but i had them both enabled but manually in linux never installed the gpu driver for my intel one. and in the termnal installed the gpu driver for my nvidia card. fortunately there was one out. and then just told it to start the gui. it worked.

802.11n
velenoso666

andrewbaxter wrote:Matt, it does have this setting in the BIOS, you can choose betwee Integrated Only or Switchable. However, to clarify, you're forcing integrated on, you can only "force" the dedicated on via the Nvidia Control panel or select which program should use dedicated vs. integrated.  You cannot force dedicated to be always on via the BIOS.

Hope that makes sense, and probably clarifies what you thought was the case but were hoping not to hear!

Well that's not what I wanted to see, from what I've read this set up has bugs. Lenovo what does it take to write a bios which has a setting to change from dynamic to fixed? 

NO kudos to you, Bad lenovo bad!

Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

jradetsk wrote:

i have actually done this with a couple of laptops like this. i had some ati's that had 2nd integrated intel cards to back up to and nvidia laptops with 2nd integrated cards. i rarely wanted in ubuntu it to be the most powerful card since it was a waste of battery since nothing in ubuntu needed that much power. accept the really new one seems to stupidly have a gpu needed gui now. i hate it. ok but yes i have done this before. idk if laptops bios have changed since. but i had them both enabled but manually in linux never installed the gpu driver for my intel one. and in the termnal installed the gpu driver for my nvidia card. fortunately there was one out. and then just told it to start the gui. it worked.

Thanks, that's pretty encouraging.  I suspect the problem I'm looking at is unique to Lenovo+NVIDIA:

https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/bbswitch/issues/2

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42696

"On the Lenovo Ideapad Y470 and Lenovo Ideapad Y570, the kernel assigns the \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.VGA handle to the PCI device (possibly because the _DOS method is found on the handle?) However, the correct _DSM, _ROM, _PS0 and _PS3 can be found on the \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP handle. _PSx on the VGA handle is basically a no-op, it only gets/sets the _PSC variable. _ROM does not exist and the _DSM method is not useful comparing it to the PEGP._DSM method. Due to this issue, the nouveau driver fails to load the vbios (because _ROM does not exist on VGA). Similarly, the proprietary nvidia driver fails to load. As for the _PS0 and _PS0 methods, using the pci_set_power_state methods does not really disable the PCI device."

What I've read so far suggests that the NVIDIA card is not correctly detected in Linux, and so installing the driver doesn't enable access.  Of course if you pulled it off on a dual-GPU Lenovo I'd love to hear the details!

FWIW, why do I need the dedicated graphics?  Short story:  I am using a 3D simulator program for robotics research, and it's coded specifically to use CUDA (unfortunately there is no development line for AMD's cards).  There is also no Windows port.  So there it is...I need Linux and I need a dedicated NVIDIA card. 

-Matt

What's DOS?
jradetsk

hmm wow that is fascinating. i have been looking at getting a y480 soon when i have the money. this is all really good to know. i dont intend to use it on linux. but i recall having difficuilty with an hp installing drivers that was not made by hp for the gpu due to a bios thing like this. i hope this is not a sign that your stuck with lenovo gpu drivers in windows too. because the nice weekly update of nivida drivers is one of the benefits in windows on having a nvidia gpu over an amd for me.  but back to your problem. it sound like you definately have the problem there. i am sorry i am not advanced enough to know what to do with the driver to fix it to recognize the signature of lenovo's special gpu. i will ask my brother though if he knows what to do. He is a programmer and may have a way to fix this. I know lenovo's 555m in the y470's are actually different then all other laptops 555m they are pretty much a bit weaker in clock speed and have 96pipeplines i believe so there signatures may be different then any other 555m i am assuming this may be the cause of this problem too. i will see if my brother may have a suggestion for this.

What's DOS?
jradetsk

i have a qustion though about the y480 its reading the post above. the y480 has the 640m le not the standard 640m on lenovo's site it says just 640m. how do you know its the weaker LE version

Fanfold Paper
gadgetrants

jradetsk wrote:

i will ask my brother though if he knows what to do. He is a programmer and may have a way to fix this. I know lenovo's 555m in the y470's are actually different then all other laptops 555m they are pretty much a bit weaker in clock speed and have 96pipeplines i believe so there signatures may be different then any other 555m i am assuming this may be the cause of this problem too. i will see if my brother may have a suggestion for this.

That's awesome, I'm curious what your brother will think.  I was really naive when I started -- I just assumed any old NVIDIA card on any old laptop would work.  Then I googled like the last 4 or 5 discrete cards, and discovered (a) pretty much all of them come as part of a dual-gpu package (at least on smaller 13"-14" systems), and (b) pretty much none of them work on Lenovo laptops in Linux (well, not without the hack I linked to above).  I have some other options, but my goal is to get that combination working!

On a funky, related note:  I found out last week about VIrtualbox, and now have Ubuntu running virtualized on two Windows machines.  I came up with a great idea:  what if I force use of the NVIDIA card in Windows (through the interface that Andrew posted), and then ran my program in the virtualized Ubuntu?  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way for the virtual, client OS (in my case, Ubuntu) to detect which graphics card is running in the outside host OS (Windows).  It can communicate with the host graphics, but only indirectly.  :smileysad:  So close, and yet so far...

-Matt