Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
12yeung

Lenovo Y560 Rapid Drive Problem - Never store any files in your internal hard drive

I bought a Y560 laptop October 2010 with 32GB SSD / 500GB HDD because of it's promotion of this new rapid drive technology in Hong Kong, and everything goes fine for few months.

Last week, I powered my laptop normally but the windows loads to the repair screen automatically. After self-restart, "Operating System not found" is shown and no further operation. Then I tried to use Onekey recovery to rescue my OS, but after I knew all data would be initialized after using, I chose not to continue and tried to plug out the hard drive and restore my data via other computer in accordance to the Lenovo's suggestion. Unfortunately, the major partition was not readable by windows.

The next day, I brought it to the service centre, and asked them how can I rescue my data. They said the same procedure that I've did that unplugging my hard drive and copying my data via other computer. Of course, I've told them I've performed the same task and still not work and asked them to demonstrate for me, but they said they haven't got any spare machine to do demonstration.

After that, they tried to repair my laptop with windows installation disk, but I've questioned them there is a notice that to use Onekey recovery to perform system maintenance, they replied that is a standard procedure of repairing services.

3 Hours after, I still could not get the corresponding answer how can I rescue my data from my hard drive and got these responses:

1. Rapid Drive Technology is developed by Intel, but not Lenovo, therefore we have no responsibility to solve this problem. (Note: there is a stickers labelled "Rapid Drive" with Lenovo logo on the laptop)

2. Levnovo service centre is only changing hardware, but not solving software related matter, but still we don't know "Rapid Drive" is a software or hardware part.

3. We always recommend customer to backup their data apart from the internal drive in daily basis.

4. There is no technicians in Hong Kong could clearly explain how the Rapid Drive operates and what kind of partitions that Rapid drive creates.

I waited for 4 hours in the service centre and no constructive support could be provided. How come such a world-wide IT company could provide a low-level support to customer, just acting like an automatic-answering machine with a low technical knowledge background. Consequently, there is no cleared solution and documentation on such a brand new Technology, how customer to trust your products?

I cannot even think of my laptop gets problem within a half year of purchase. I hope experts from Lenovo (not from Hong Kong any more) to solve my problem of either recover my OS or data.

Blue Screen Again
staringatstars

Re: Lenovo Y560 Rapid Drive Problem - Never store any files in your internal hard drive

so, could you state more simplier where is your data and what do you want to do with it?
What's DOS?
12yeung

Re: Lenovo Y560 Rapid Drive Problem - Never store any files in your internal hard drive

By adopting Rapid Drive technology, the system will merge ssd and hdd together into single drive and place the file in according to the frequency of access. The problem is that it cannot retrieve your file in case the windows is corrputed or either drive has problems. i.e. you cannot get your data as simple as plugging your hdd to another computer as some of the file may store in ssd and both drive is not readable by windows normally.

After many trials, I can retrieve most of my data by dumping two drives, which are ssd and hdd, and merge them into single virtual drive in order to perform recovery. (The MFT delocalized into two drives). Off course, still some of them are corrupted.  It really time consuming.

Last, I still think this rapid drive technology is a good concept to enhance disk performance, however, the engineers have no sense on data protection. A better design can be duplicating a ssd image on hdd or any special tools in case the windows or ssd failures. For instance, I recommend users not to use this technology and return to the traditional manner - install windows in ssd and storage your data / minor programmes in hdd.

Blue Screen Again
staringatstars

fully agree with you.
Paper Tape
gstaples

I have had exactly the same problem that you had.  Lenovo y560 with hybrid drive.

Operating system not found.  I removed drive from laptop and put in external USB enclosure and was able to see three partitions in windows drive manager.  Unfortunately, only the ssd partition is viewable in windows explorer.

You said that you were able to recover some data from the "C:" drive.

Can you please share your method?

Paper Tape
jojocw

hi, i bought the same model y560 from HK about 1yr+ more ago and have the same situation. 

one day when try to kick start the windows, it goes to system repair page then i did something, and after it rebooted, it says something like pxe-061 media test failure, check cable ... then operating system not found and pressing enters only goes into that loop .... 

what has actually happened here ?! has a solution / bug been found already ? 

I posted the question on SevensForum, I don't there is a solid solution yet. 

searchign the web i dun think its something unique to lenovo, i saw acer laptops have the same problem as well. 

any experts on SSD / HDD hybird stuff from lenovo can provide explanations and solutions ? 

I do not have any windows7 disc with me. I bought it from HK Golden. @@ 

its alwasy work fine, but i guess that hybrid disk idea gets itself into troubles. ... 

thanks 

victor from London 

Paper Tape
jojocw

hi 12yeung.

I really hope you can see this and help me out!

I tried to unplug the harddisk from the Y560 and then connect to a normal computer. becoz of that ssd/hdd stuff, i can only see the Drivers folder but nothing else that I want to back up as I thought I could.

Can you share how you can back up your stuff from the laptop ?

where can you see the partitions ?

Thanks a lot

Victor