Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
MrGlister

Re: Y560 Future BIOS Wish List

[ Edited ]

Just putting this out there.  But if you have noticed, the y560 owners of this forums is progressively getting more agressive and "impolite" due to the lack of updates and service being provided day by day.  The front page is smeared with 70% Y560 troubles and yet most of these threads are ignored.  The only ones I actually being solved is the obvious "reinstall drivers" or "press that button".  Why hasn't the issues constantly  pounded onto this section of the forum been escalated.  Can this issue be escalated even futher?  I really would like a working FN CTRL switch, gradients, flickering, artifacts, ants, etc being adressed!  We had a petition in the past and we had no updates on that.  We haven't got any updates for the longest time, but more "testing requests" with "we'll adress this to the engineering team".  When should we expect a patch so we can bugger off instead of linger?  Do you expect us to give up and leave?  If so then say it.  I'm pretty sure many of us checks this at least on a weekly basis for an update.  Can we get something helpful, PLEASE?!

Fanfold Paper
adirazer

Re: Lenovo Y560 Switch FN and CTRL keys

It has been more than a month and a half since you said that we are not abandoned but there had been no reply since then.

Could you kindly let us know what you guys and the development team had decided in regard to the Fn + Ctrl key swap option ?

I cannot express in words how much I loathe the keyboard of this Y560 that I bought during this Thanksgiving for close to 1000 $.

There is one more thing. Why does Lenovo eat up all the partitions leaving the user without an option to create their own data partition for keeping his data safe if the OS has to be reinstalled.

There are lot of things to be fixed in this product of yours.. but first could you plz fulfill your promise in regard to the Fn + Ctrl key swap thing.

I hope lenovo atleast answers their customers.... If it fixes it ..we would be more than happy...

Fanfold Paper
adirazer

There a fix provided for free by an user who goes by the name middleton.

If an user can write a script , why cant lenovo atleast test the fix that the user has provided and release it as a patch.

I am so unhappy that I bought a Lenovo laptop.I hope I could get my 1000$ back.

Fanfold Paper
Stromos

The problem is Middleton’s method will void your warranty.  Right now I use a USB keyboard when docked at my desk but I do travel quite a bit and this still makes me crazy.  The important take away is that if Middleton can write the switch into the firmware then the engineers working on the y560 can also add this switch and should have an easier time since they wrote the code for the ThinkPads that Middleton uses.

My upmost hope is not only to see this but also to see the Windows Experience Index patch also show up in a future firmware release.

So really the only solution is to wait and hope the engineering team addresses this issue.  Reguardless of what this thread says this issue is unresolved.

SCSI Port
Meetloaf13

[ Edited ]

"WAIT" is the key word.

I think you'll find in the past couple months that you may want to add "hopelessly" to the end.  I have a functioning machine, but the last time I saw some real responses or progress on many of the issues covered here on the Y560 was way too long ago, and very short of satisfactory.

| Lenovo Y560 06465BU | i7-740QM 1.73GHz | ATI HD 5730 1GB | 15.4" HD LED 1366x768 LGD229 | Intel Wi-Fi 1000 | Win 7 HP x64 | Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | 3dMark06 8189 | BIOS v62
Fanfold Paper
Stromos

BIOS update 71 is out this issue is still not resolved short of voiding ones warranty.  Mods need to create a new thread on this. 

This problem is not solved. Voiding warranty is not a solution!

Community Moderator
yigit

we posted the solution & warnings.
if users insist to use it, it's his/her responsibility.

at this point, no official solution for switching keys.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Fanfold Paper
Stromos

I know there is no offical solution but if this problem is marked as solved will Lenovo even investigate an official solution?

If one person has the ability to do this and do it relativly quickly (Middleton already has posted the Bios 71 modification) then I don't understand resistance to officialy look into it.

Community Moderator
yigit

i have no idea.
ps: i don't work for lenovo.

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
MadDrMatt

Hi,

Y560P user here, first time poster.  In fact, I created an account for the sole purpose of adding another voice to the request for an official, Lenovo, BIOS-level, FN and CTRL key swap for Ideapads.

It seems like a large portion forum posters here and elsewhere think the key placement is no big deal or that one can "get used to it".  For those who don't understand why this swap is so important, let me elaborate its functionality for gamers.

A wide class of games (real-time strategy) operate on the principle of "control groups".  In-game units can be assigned to a "group" by hitting Ctrl and any of the keys 1-9 simultaneously.  Just try and see how much harder it is to drop your pinky to the Lenovo Ctrl key placement instead of the standard control key placement while simultaneously hitting 1 or 2 with your middle or ring finger!!  Considering 1) high skill-level, real-time strategy games often demand exectuting over 100 actions per minute, and 2) control groups are necessary to play real-time strategy games, the delay from the Lenovo Ctrl key placement becomes a MAJOR IMPEDIMENT.

Another wide class of games (first person shooters) require your pointer, middle and ring fingers to be locked to the WASD keys for movement.  The pinky is free to conduct a couple (usually vital!) actions with the shift and ctrl keys.  With your pointer on D and your ring finger on A, just try and see how much more uncomfortable it is to hover your pinky over the Lenovo Ctrl key placement instead of the standard control key placement, hitting and/or holding Ctrl intermittantly for 20-30 minutes.  Ouch, the hand cramps!

This laptop is marketed specifically as a gaming machine!  The hardware is impressive, and the graphics are smooth and well-rendered.  It frustrated me that, in order to actually use this excellent piece of equipment for gaming, I either need an external keyboard or an unofficial, unsupported BIOS hack that voids my extended warranty!  If your average gamer was aware of the Ctrl key placement prior to the purchase, I bet 80-90% would choose a different laptop.  I, myself, will never buy another Lenovo until I am sure this non-standard key placement is corrected and I'll make sure any friends or family know of this impediment when they're shopping for laptops.  Lenovo, that's a terrible reason to lose business from otherwise exemplary products, and the fix (a BIOS option) is a small investment!  Please release a BIOS update to swap the Ctrl and Fn keys, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.