Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
nabb701

Re: Lenovo Y580 Bug

Looks like the fix that sebz posted didnt actually work. Now i'm getting the same kernal error message except the number is now 304.88. I really hope my Y580 wasn't built with faulty parts.

Paper Tape
silv3rstone

nabb701, sorry to hear that. I called tech support yesterday and they asked me to recover the system to see if that worked and it obviously did not. I called the post-sales number today and they are going to send me a new laptop and get me to return the old one. I would suggest you do the same before the 21 day return policy expires on your system.

btw - the easiest way for me to show that the video card was not correctly operational was to just run the 3dmark benchmark test. the farthest i could get in it was about 10 seconds (with a bunch of weird artificating)....it would always crash.
What's DOS?
aries22203

i have the same problem. my screen starts to show small different colored squares, then the game crashes when there's too much going on. an error message would show up that the graphics card stopped working? and then it recovered but i get disconnected once that shows up.

were you able to resolve this issue? and how? thanks in advance for any help.

Paper Tape
silv3rstone

As far as I know nabb was not able to figure it out and neither was I.  It just seems like a defect issue.  I am in the process of sending back my laptop for a replacement.  The whole process will pretty much take about a month from my first initial order.  Pretty horrible experience.....

Fanfold Paper
qromodynmc

I think it's a driver Problem, GTX 600 Series is new and there is only beta drivers..

Paper Tape
silv3rstone

The bug occurs if you try with the driver on the Nvidia site (the beta one mentioned) and also the ones provided on the Lenovo site which is a different version.

Paper Tape
shou

Exactly the same problem as OP.

I just got my y580 today, and this problem is still going on! I updated the nvidia drivers from the lenovo website, and a bunch of games would have colorful blotches all over the screen, and worse, CRASH. I did a system restore and then tried the nvidia website drivers as well. Same thing, keeps crashing.

Games I tried: Diablo 3, Bioshock

The games crash every single time within 3 min!

I'm thinking of returning the laptop... no point if I can't play the games I bought it for.

Fanfold Paper
rickypicky

This laptop has just about everything I want - Full HD, Blue Ray player, SSD+HDD, and GTX 660M.

However, reading the posts in this thread I'm a bit concerned about buying it.  Do you people think this is an issue with the GTX 660M itself, drivers, or with this model?  Somebody stated he thought it might be an issue with overheating due to the thermal paste Lenovo uses.

Paper Tape
shou

[ Edited ]

I am pretty sure it's the driver.

Fanfold Paper
polyprog

Got a Lenovo Y580 as well and I opened up the box yesterday. I have the same problems stated in the original post. After failing to play Minecraft and Portal (of all games), I called customer support yesterday and after over an hour of troubleshooting they are now going to send me a new computer. phew. What a hassle.

I cannot imagine it's the driver. Why on earth would they put a gaming laptop on the market with a graphics card driver which simply does not work. They must have tested this stuff before releasing the product otherwise they are completely incompetent at what they do, which cannot be true considering the otherwise fine piece of hardware i have recieved.

Anyhow. Has anyone heard of a Y580 that actually worked for gaming?