Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
vargavince91
Accepted Solution

Lenovo u300s - strange keyboard problem

Dear Forum,

I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a Lenovo U300s, I just bought it two weeks ago. I have the original Windows 7 installed on it and I installed Ubuntu 12.04 later. I bought it in Mexico with Spanish (Latin American) keyboard. Everything worked fine, I could work with both operating system.

I was working on Ubuntu when I realized the 't' button didn't work and did weird things. I checked the keyboard settings, I haven't changed the layout settings, the only things that changed is he 't' button; when I type 't', I get a PageDown, all the other buttons work fine.

I restarted the computer and checked Windows 7 as well. I had the same problem. I booted to Ubuntu again, I still had the same problem. I tried the Ubuntu Live pendrive, and still, I can not write a 't' on my keyboard.

I googled the problem, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything. Almost all the problems with the keyboard are because of he NumLock button, but I don't think that is problem now. I didn't drop the computer, no water, beer or anything else.

I have a valid warranty, probably I bring my laptop today back to the store, but only jerks work there, when I asked about installing Linux on this compuer, they said I lose the warrany, which just can't be true, can it? Anyway, I would be happy for the solution of that problem, if I face again this problem, I don't want to run back to the store again...

What do you think? What could be the problem? If you have any suggesion, test, command (Linux or Win7) what could help me, please tell it. Thank you very much

Vince

Blue Screen Again
dexternl

Re: Lenovo u300s - strange keyboard problem

A few minutes ago the keyboard on my U300s also started doing weird things with the T-key. I was working in Kubuntu 12.04 when after a normal reboot the letter 't' was changed in the ~ sign. When booting in Windows 7 the same problem. I remember reading a comment about a similar issue on the ubuntu forums.

I'm very curious about what is causing this behavior and even more, I want to know how to solve this. Sure, remapping the key works in Linux, but only in X-environtment and not in the other tty's.

Cheers,
Sander
Paper Tape
vargavince91

I went to the place where I had bought my computer, they changed it to a new one, and after a week or two I have the same problem... I found it ridiculous, I am afraid this time they will not change the compuer again (I would not even want that computer again, I think I will never buy a Lenovo again...)

So, I am still waiting for your answers, I hope you can help me.

Vince

Blue Screen Again
dexternl

Vince, was the replacement laptop also running linux or the factory windows 7 when the issue returned?

I recovered to factory state with recovery discs, but to no avail. I'll send the laptop back for repair...
What's DOS?
tpeeters

Just to inform you, many people seem to be having this problem, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/974455?comments=all for more reports. It seems to be related to the BIOS and caused by pressing a certain combination of keys under specific circumstances.

Paper Tape
vargavince91

Hey, The replacement laptop also had the original Windows and Ubuntu and the problem also needed a couple of weeks to 'arrive'. I left my computer in the service, they changed the keyboard for free and then I went back to the store where I bought the notebook and they paid my money back :-// I am really sorry about that, it was a misery, mainly because of the store, they were all jerks, but also because for some reason this laptop doesn't like ubuntu :-) Now I am an owner of a Samsung NP530 ultrabook, it works fine with Ubuntu.

Paper Tape
vargavince91

Well, thank you for the link, it looks like the u300s has somehow a problem with Ubuntu or just their keyboard has a manufacturing defect. I really can't tell :-)

What's DOS?
rvertesi

Why is this problem marked solved???

There is no solution to it, not in the launchpad bugreport nor anywhere else.

Moreover the keyboard can be messed up not only in Ubuntu but also in Fedora 18.

I got the computer back from service (had Ubuntu before), installed Fedora, the next day I didn't have the 'up' key.

Now I'm awaiting replacement and I really have no idea what to do since I have to use Linux for work and do not want to keep the computer in the repair shop.

What's DOS?
arisolucion

The problem is NOT SOLVED, and on Lenovo website says they work close to Canonical to bring support on Linux... well this is clearly not the case. We are victims of a Lenovo lie and bought a computer that only runs Windows, wich is not useful for serious developers. Next time i'll buy ultrabooks from other brands.