kostadinbal

Re: Maximum amount of RAM on Y570 and Z570

Plus I think that 16GB will do for about 3 years or so
802.11n
velenoso666

kostadinbal wrote:

(velenosso666 have you tried it? )

No I haven't but there are others who have posted here with the Z570 who have tried it and it worked for them and the reply to your OP that was given by yigit was correct This system can be upgraded to max. 16GB memory.

CompuRam is advertising that the Y570 can take the 16 GB of ram and they offer a PayPal payment service, if you or I bought 16 GB of them and used  the PayPal payment service and it didn't work, you could easily get a refund. To me that's proof enough because they'd have to refund you plus be stuck with the shipping cost if it wasn't true and knowing that they're a German company, they would never let that happen!

But I have to say 16 GB of ram isn't a good investment unless you do a fair bit of high end computing. I use to believe 4 GB was enough for average users, but just turning on your Y570 will probably take up near 3 GB and if you play like BF3 that will need near 3 again.

Nowadays I believe 8 GB is the minimum amount of ram what the average guy who plays now and again should have, if you do get 16 GB please tell us if it improves your gaming experience, because some who game a lot say it does but I'm skeptical.

HDMI
kostadinbal

I have already told my friends, from who i got the laptop, to search for 8GB kit, but I can easily change that to 16. The problem here is - if the 16GB kit doesnt work good I'll be stuck with it. First of all I wanted to get only a 4GB Samsung chip like the one in my laptop, but that was impossible because Samsung chips are delivered here only for official service and support centers, no retail sale. Thats why I'm searching for Transcedent , Hynix, an A-DATA serie that was good to replace the Samsung ram in my PC.
I have to be 100% sure that the 16GB kit will work flawlessly , so I can get the full potential of my laptop.
Also, do you think that the info from CPU-Z is correct? When I go to Memory section it says that my RAM is dual channel but as far as I know, the only way to have dual channel is to use 2 ram modules who are exactly the same like 2+2, 4+4, 8+8, and mine are 4+2- I'm a bit confused
802.11n
velenoso666

kostadinbal wrote:
I have to be 100% sure that the 16GB kit will work flawlessly , so I can get the full potential of my laptop.
Also, do you think that the info from CPU-Z is correct? When I go to Memory section it says that my RAM is dual channel but as far as I know, the only way to have dual channel is to use 2 ram modules who are exactly the same like 2+2, 4+4, 8+8, and mine are 4+2- I'm a bit confused

I'm guessing it wouldn't cost that much to ring the number on CompuRam site (Germany) from Bulgaria to ask if that's your may concern, as for  4+2- I'm a bit confused me too. But again I'm guessing it means the motherboard is running on a dual-channel platforms or dual-channel capable.

802.11n
Sfairat

About 4+2 gb working in dual channel mode - there's nothing strange with it, as some chipsets allow dual channel in so called "flex" mode, which allows 2x2gb work in dual channel mode and remaining 2 gb from 4 gb bank work in single channel mode.

802.11n
velenoso666

[ Edited ]

Sfairat wrote:

About 4+2 gb working in dual channel mode - there's nothing strange with it, as some chipsets allow dual channel in so called "flex" mode, which allows 2x2gb work in dual channel mode and remaining 2 gb from 4 gb bank work in single channel mode.

Well that's news to me, I have read that Desktop boards can run in multi channels/modes, but to be truthful it makes little sense to me, until I found this Single Channel vs Dual Channel vs Flex Mode which is much better described.

Kodus to you Sfairat

HDMI
kostadinbal

Exactly why I want to get 2 identical chips.

I will write an e-mail to CompuRam and we'll see if they can confirm the 16GB
802.11n
velenoso666

kostadinbal wrote:
Exactly why I want to get 2 identical chips.

A while ago I had a desktop with mismatched sticks of ram, so I decided to get matching ram to try and improve my gaming, I bought a kit  of a leading ram makers ram costing me plenty.

I couldn't tell the difference, I know for a fact it must of made a difference but I couldn't tell. The improvement to ones performance from this kind of investment is minimal, it's been written up to 10%, if it was I couldn't tell.

All laptops have their limitations, even if you get yours to run at its limits, you would have spent a lot of money for not a lot of improvement from where you are now and more importantly soon it will be superseded because of the pace of technology!

HDMI
kostadinbal

I'm aware of that but its a bargain if I get the 8GB kit. No, its not cheap, but I will be able to sell my Samsung chips (since I can't buy another 4GB Samsung...) and this will cover most of my investment.

In other words, I want to be prepared for the moment when DDR3 will not be used and it will become really expensive (like DDR1 and DDR2) And probably I will stay with this y570 for another 2-3 years.

Offtopic: velenoso666, can you guess what I did to my CoolerMaster U2?
802.11n
velenoso666

kostadinbal wrote:

Offtopic: velenoso666, can you guess what I did to my CoolerMaster U2?

Do tell?