Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Firefly2462
Accepted Solution

My Y510 is acting like a slot-machine! (Dying, dead, system & keyboard failure, random behavior)

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone!

Background:

I bought my Y510 Ideapad in late May.  4GB RAM, 250GB HD, Nvidia Graphics, the works edition with extended warranty/ECT.  I'm originally from the States, but now living and attending school in Australia as an international graduate student at the University of Melbourne (Urban Planning/Design).  I bought my notebook for this degree, communication home, work and entertainment.  It arrived at my house in the US in working condition, no problems or complaints other than the speakers get a bit crackly.  I used it a little bit before moving to Melbs in late July.  Got here, everything was fine and running well. The system has never been dropped, bumped, ECT.  I keep it in a neoprene padded sleeve when I go anywhere, use a grounded plug converter and generally baby it.  After about a months use "explorer.exe" randomly crashed and magically 'fixed itself' a 2-3 times.  Windows is inherently retarded so I didn't worry about it very much.

Situation:

Went to uni last week, used it to work on assignments and everything was fine.  Got home that evening, booted up for some much needed relaxation and suddenly the notebook took on a life of its own.  It started randomly highlighting and selecting everything it possibly could on the screen in a circular motion; as if someone was holding down one of the arrow keys on the keyboard. No viruses were reported by AVG, which is updated constantly by the automatic updater.

I restarted only to be greeted by a BIOS posting rather than the nice white Lenovo logo. Windows started to the veriface logon/welcome screen, still randomly selecting everything and generally freaking to the point it prevented me from typing anything.  I'd have my face scanned and Windows would start, but continued to ding away and select everything imaginable on my desktop. A regular interval clicking sound from underneath the keyboard began as well.  I restarted again to check BIOS to figure out what was malfunctioning, missing or whatever.  I got tossed into windows only to find out that keyboard had stopped working (did not see a keyboard error in bios posting).  As suddenly as it started, it quit selecting things for a very brief period of time, during which I used the mouse to purge my storage drive onto a DVD.  It started selecting things shortly there after and would not stop.  I turned it off, let it sit for a minute and booted it back up.

The keyboard was unresponsive when attempting to enter BIOS, the windows F8 screen and in windows itself.  The clicking from the centre of the keyboard continued.  An abnormally loud thunk from near the HDD and (empty) DVD-ROM comes from the machine when initially powered on.  The sound controls on the upper right are unresponsive as well, which I'm guessing are tied into the keyboard controller. I unplugged everything from the machine just in case the mouse, USB broadband modem or power pack was creating issues for some reason.  No change.  I came to the conclusion that the motherboard is in the process of failing.  Absolutely defeated I turned it off and phoned home to the States.

My mom phoned the tech support/warranty people to find out what to do... only to discover I would have to ship it home for service.  They sent a box to her in about 24 hours (which is lovely) except the system is 10,000 mile away.  I took it to the post and sent it on a one way trip home for a whopping $80.  Once it gets all figured out I think I'm going to opt for the international warranty service/extension/ect.  I'm sure they charge for that... :smileysurprised:

Comments:

What gets me is how multi-national/global corporations don't automatically honour and service their products in all countries that they have presence in.  I understand that some countries are behind others, regulations and that all of the policy jargon that imposes limitations, but this is outrageous.  I can go down the street in Melbourne and buy the EXACT notebook.  Anyone should be able travel to any country listed on Lenovo's or any 'global' corporations’ website and have their product/s fully serviced and supported without being hassled as a consumer.  Efficiency is the point of globalisation.  Get on the train or get off.

Side note: I bought a Nikon P60 camera before leaving took 30 frames for a course here and it died.  Guess what!?! I had to ship it home for service as well.  I asked a camera shop here how much it would be to fix it... $250 just to OPEN IT.  It retails for about $265; so my camera is only worth $15 that makes me great as a consumer. I'm on a bit of a bad luck streak when it comes to technology apparently... What happened to quality?! :smileyindifferent:

I am highly impressed by the support that "I" (aka my POA empowered mum) received in the States.  A box on your door step in 24 hours with no hassle or annoyance.  I have always loved IBM... I remember sitting on my dad’s original government retired XT/AT systems when I was barely able to type and put together DOS commands as a kid.  I trust the company, respect what they have done and enjoy the products that they offer as a loyal customer.

The Y510 is wicked... classy on the outside and hardcore old-school Atari-like on the inside.  I hope the same amount of thought, resources and quality that exists in the R-series has been put into the Ideapad.  It's got a lot going for it... especially for uni students.  I'll tell you exactly what we need and desire: reliability, power, productivity and entertainment.

Questions:

Has this occurred to anyone else?

Any ideas as to what has died or is dying?

How do I get international warranty/service/support for the future? Cost?

I'll get back to everyone as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Firefly2462

Message Edited by Firefly2462 on 08-19-2008 09:32 AM
--------------------------------------
Ideapad S405 (2013)
Ideapad Y510 (2008 - 2013)
Retired Guru
skripatch

Get some help.

Greetings, Firefly2462.

Firstly, sorry about your case. For now you're the only person that has this happened that i met in forums (Lenovo and Russian iXBT). Y510 laptops have some minor things to be fixed - usually  regarding software and BIOS update. Your case is a classic behaviour of lady called bad luck. Every hi-tech thing has a chance to perform such a trick. My condolences again.

Looks like bad keyboard or motherboard weak.

Seems like your'e interested in IWS. As far as Iknow all Ideapads are covered by this. Try searching service here.

//help will save the world
Serial Port
Firefly2462

Re: Get some help.

[ Edited ]

Thanks Skripatch!

According to IBM/Lenovo Service the keyboard failed and was replaced at the service center.  It was repaired in record time!  Way to go Lenovo! =)

Once it arrives here in Oz. I'm going to call IWS and figure out what I need to do in order to be covered internationally. IWS Contact can be found here: http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/lenovo/lenovo/warranty/IWS.html

International service on purchase would be a great marketing advertisement... business, students and travel junkies  would go crazy over it!  :smileywink:

Lesson: If your keyboard fails the Y510 goes absolutely insane.

Message Edited by Firefly2462 on 08-22-2008 02:28 PM
Ideapad S405 (2013)
What's DOS?
Eranthos

Re: My Y510 is acting like a slot-machine! (Dying, dead, system & keyboard failure, random behav

Hi,

I have just had the exact same thing happen to my Y510 and after reading your comments it seems that I will have to get mine sent off to tech support also. 

Now considering you are apparently the only other person that has had this happen the only thing that I can see that is similar is that we are both located in Melbourne. haha.

However the symptoms you have described are almost exact same problems I have been facing and since the keyboard failure tonight it seems there is nothing more I can really do.

the main question I have is; is there a anyway of having this fixed without sending it off? 

Serial Port
Firefly2462

Re: My Y510 is acting like a slot-machine! (Dying, dead, system & keyboard failure, random behav

Hey,

If you still have any control over your notebook, purge whatever documents you have onto a DVDR =)

Melbourne is apparently hard on laptops... must be the weather!

I would box it up and send it in... I worked in computer repair and programming for a few years... laptops are not fun to take apart... plus it could void the warranty =/

Best advice... call the warranty service and let them break it =)  IWS should service it here if you are international, but you will have to contact them. If you are forced to send it overseas for repair Australian Customs may stop it on the way back into the country; so be prepared if that is the case.

Good luck mate!

Ideapad S405 (2013)
What's DOS?
Eranthos

Indeed,

Thank you,

I have an external hard drive and limited mouse control so i will be backing up all the files tonight and shipping off my computer tomorrow. Thankfully only to NSW. ;-)

Have you had any issues since yours was returned?

thanks for all the help! 

Serial Port
Firefly2462

[ Edited ]

No problem=) Good luck!

I have not had problems with it yet.  I've had it on most of today running CAD programs and such in tandem with a desktop at uni... zero issues so far.  Lets hope it keeps up... at least until the semester is up!

Message Edited by Firefly2462 on 10-29-2008 09:40 PM
Ideapad S405 (2013)
Blue Screen Again
caldo

Hey

I have kind of the same issues - eplorer crashing than fixing up randomly - thought also that was vista messing arround.

Then I had these freeze ups.. in the middle of using openoffice as instance

Also, happened twice, right from the start at the lenovo logo with intense fan activity.

But I don't have any problem with the keyboard, never dropped it. 

I was wondering if this could come from softwares (soulseek, the antivirus or spss - I know they mess up with the os sometimes), not the hardware

Any hints would be much appreciated.