Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Johnny_Y560
Accepted Solution

My lenovo came with a counterfeit version of windows

Seriously, what the heck is this?  Did lenovo really give me a counterfeit version of windows?  Just today i got a notification saying that I may have a version of windows that isn't genuine, so microsoft ran some tests and sure enough: it isn't genuine.  I leave for college in a week and a half and I've got microsoft office, all my itunes songs imported (which took about a days worth of downloading, all my games installed and running, and everything I need to be ready for college and now his bomb drops on me?  

Why did Lenovo give me a computer with a counterfeit copy of windows 7 64-bit? Is there any way to fix this without A) Buying a new version and B) deleting all my files that I need?

IPnaSh
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 125

Re: My lenovo came with a counterfeit version of windows

Maybe your Windows isn't activated. Call Microsoft and activate it using the phone system.

Best regards.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Punch Card
Johnny_Y560

I don't see how that would be different than using microsoft's little activation tool or whatever, but I'll give it a shot.  My lenovo first came in with a bad motherboard, so they had to replace it, do you think that has to do with this windows 7 being not genuine?

Punch Card
Johnny_Y560

The call worked.  Thanks for the help!

Paper Tape
yuhong

[ Edited ]

Yes, maybe. You see, big OEMs like Lenovo uses the thing called System Locked Preinstallation, which uses a SLIC table stored in the BIOS, which is same for every computer but is different for different versions of Windows.