Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rpeters83

Need a tiny keyboard part on new laptop

i just picked up a new Y430 from C****** C***. It's a flawless machine, except the Enter key is messed up. One of the pins under the key (the see-saw plastic piece) has a cracked pin. I'd rather not return this and risk getting a problem with a new machine. Is there a way I can get keyboard parts for this model? I just need this tiny piece and I can swap it out myself.

Thanks

Ryan

Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: Need a tiny keyboard part on new laptop

your options are limited, there is no part number for things like that, you would either have to return the laptop to seller or get a replacement keyboard put in.
Paper Tape
rpeters83

Is there perhaps a generic part I can put in there as a replacement? Thanks.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

i am not sure whether these parts are interchangeable, but you can give it try since you have nothing to lose... i am not sure what where you are going to get some broken keyboards from...
Paper Tape
rpeters83

Ideapad and Thinkpad keyboards the same?

My retainer clip on my keyboard broke. I keep finding spare keys for teh thinkpads, but cant seem to find parts for the newer ideapads. Does anyone know if parts for these keyboards are interchangable? thanks!

Ryan

JaneL

Re: Ideapad and Thinkpad keyboards the same?

My guess would be no.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
rpeters83

Are you sure? I've seen pictures of teh thinkpad keyboards and the physically look the same as the ideapads. My question is whether they might be teh same part number.

Thanks.

Ryan

JaneL

rpeters83 wrote:

Are you sure? I've seen pictures of teh thinkpad keyboards and the physically look the same as the ideapads. My question is whether they might be teh same part number.

Well, no, I'm not sure since I've never held an ideaPad, but ideaPads are 6-row keyboards.  ThinkPads have 7 rows, and a completely different layout.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

[ Edited ]

rpeters83,

If your IdeaPad is in warranty, I would suggest that you call in a warranty claim and have your keyboard replaced.  If it is not a warranty failure, or is outside a warranty period, then today you have two choices:

1) Contact service and get a quote or a out of warranty repair / replacement keyboad - today this is done through the depot.

2) Use the search function in the forum and read some of the other out of warranty keyboard replacement discussions - notably on Y510. There is a link in that thread to a 3rd party blog, where a person noted that the keyboard for a Lenovo 3000 N100 (model types 0768 or 0689) keyboard could be ordered through Lenovo / IBM service parts and installed with a few notes.

Officially, I'll suggest option #1, and note that we are working on a more comprehensive parts solution for IdeaPad customers beyond warranty coverage.

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 10-13-2008 06:42 PM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

Paper Tape
copelist

Y510 Keyboard Parts

I have a Y510 computer with a broken key "Hinge thing a ma bobby doo" that I would very much like to replace.  Unfortunately the solution provided by the post with the broken "s" key (we'll call it the "bad s post") won't work for me because the CapsLk key is unique. Backspace might work but it is used a lot more.

My real question is to find out what previous lenovo model numbers have used this same keyboard (with compatible keys and parts) so that I can buy junk from ebay and turn it into spare parts.  The more complete the list the better it will be for the entire user community of lenovo products (since we find out what keyboard parts are interchangable).

If that option doesn't work (i.e. there are no old systems with compatible keyboard parts) then perhaps you could let me know that name of your supplier (and their part number) so I can purchase exorbantly overpriced parts from them.  I think most of us don't mind paying 5 bucks for a two cent part if it fixes a 700 dollar (or more) investment.

My computer is under warranty still so technically I could send it in, but that whole process seems like a lot of fuss for such a tiny little issue.

One final little brainstorm - how about putting together a keyboard parts kit that contains a proportional number of the right size parts for these devices.  I also will be glad to pay for parts I'll never use to get one that I need.  Now THAT would be customer service.