Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Prettyangry

New Laptop - Y560p, start up issues already

[ Edited ]

Well I just got this laptop 3 days ago and ALREADY there are issues. First time I used it, it was fine but when I went to restart, the computer lights came on and so did the fans (they went beserk actually) but the display screen was just black nothing came on. So after a bit of research i followed the troubleshooting steps of

-Take of the battery and the cord
- Press power button down for 15 secs
- Put battery and chord back in
- Press power button

Well that fortuantly worked, at the time.

It ran smoothly for a few days then again all of a sudden yesterday it happen yet again, but this time the trouble shooting steps DONT WORK! And this laptop is just 3 days old.

I called up Lenovo Technical support yet nothing they told me worked. I asked why this is happening and I was told it is because of 'static electricity.'

Is there any way i can get this to work.

Punch Card
mmaaddict78

Re: New Laptop - Y560p, start up issues already

I'd return it if you can.
Fanfold Paper
Prettyangry

thats what Im leanng towards, but seriously this is just ridiculous.

First lenovo laptop...great experience so far.

Paper Tape
aeqel

Hey mate,

If it makes you feel any better I got an IdeaPad Y560p from MSY as my first Lenovo laptop mid last year and it is a great little machine, it's truly wonderful especially for the price.
The retailer you bought it from must not be able to refuse to exchange your item (governed by the FTO) especially at only 3 days old! You'll be fine, just take the laptop back and ask politely and they'll most likely simply give you a replacement laptop if they got one in stock.

Fanfold Paper
Prettyangry

[ Edited ]

Yeah just contacted the retailer and lenovo said its fine and that they will give me a new one. Just need to e-mail lenovo an invoice.

Hope it wont be a problem again

Ctrl-Alt-Del
papersplease

I have the exact same problem with the exact same model (y560p), except I could not bring mine back from the dead once it died. Lenovo warranty support has been a complete nightmare so far. Also, for some reason their warranty checker says I have about 3 months left even though I only purchased it new a few weeks ago.

I've been bounced around their call centres, had to submit my proof of purchase 3 times, been referred back to the retailer who referred me back to lenovo (unfortunately I purchased out of state when on holidays, so the retailer is about 800 kms/500 miles away, and don't have any replacement stock because I bought their last one).

The first Lenovo support person I spoke to listed it as a DOA (as the laptop died about 5-6 days after purchase) and after going through their call centres a few more times and resubmitting my proof of purchase, I was finally issued with a 'DOA application and approval form'.

The Lenovo support people have told me different things and different times, but they've all insisted that I have to ship the laptop back to the retailer, who will just then have to ship it to a Lenovo repair depot as they don't have the parts or replacement stock, all at my own expense. This is despite the fact that their DOA policy clearly states:

"If a product suffers a warrantable failure within 14 days of delivery that product is considered DoA and Lenovo will, at its discretion, repair or replace that product.  Lenovo will arrange and pay for a courier to collect the original product from you." (see lenovo website)

The call centre staff don't seem to appreciate that I have a right under consumer law to seek a remedy directly from the manufacturer (ACCC document , see pg. 31), and that the above advertised statement forms part of Lenovo's legal obligation to me in this case. They also don't seem to understand that, given Lenovo are obligated to pay for a courier, it will save them money (and save me time)  if they handle this directly rather than through the retailer I purchased it from, who will have the right to seek compensation for any expense incurred acting as a redundant middleman in rectifying a major manufacturer's defect.

I've tried to be patient and reasonable, and have repeatedly offered to take it to one of their 'business partners' in my state at my own risk and expense for onsite repair, replacement or RMA. Unfortunately they've not taken me up on this, and I'm getting sick of this whole process. 

I'm going to call their call centre one last time tomorrow (the last time I called they claimed their systems were down).

If they continue to refuse to resolve this, I'm contacting their Australian head office in Chatswood, NSW to let them know I will probably have to commence legal action through a consumer tribunal/small claims court to get lenovo to honour their own warranty policies. Thankfully, I've kept copies of all communications, forms, receipts etc. with the retailer and lenovo.

I can't believe it has come to this. I'd always just assumed Lenovo were a high quality company, but so far they appear to be a dysfunctional, bureaucratic mess.

Fanfold Paper
Prettyangry

Thats just bloody terrible customer service, really hope I dont go through crap like that. I Still cannot get over the fact the laptop got screwed up in 3 days, absoultly ridiculous. I've still been trying the past couple of days to get it back up and running yet the same thing just happens.

Hope it all works out for you asap Papersplease

Ctrl-Alt-Del
papersplease

[ Edited ]

Cheers mate, I hope so too.

It's just crazy that Lenovo are being so inflexible yet at the same time not adhering to their own stated policies regarding frieght on DOA (which would be considered a legally enforcable representation to me). Especially after reading that ACCC guidance on consumer rights and manufacturer's obligations when there's a manufacturer's defect.

If they really want to insist on doing it this way, it's going to cost lenovo 4 lots of freight (which they bear the risk of additional damage or loss on) and any additional costs of the retailer in rectifying this such as labour, frieght and admin (a legislated right the retailer possesses under consumer protection law, funnily enough). Not to mention the administrative cost lenovo will have to go through cancelling my cashback, should I choose to demand a refund from the retailer (also a legislated right I possess in this situation, and retailer has the legal right to recover costs from lenovo, as it's clearly a manufacturing defect).

Also, given I bought that retailer's last y560p and it's still listed as out of stock on their website, lenovo risk having to cover the additional cost of providing an upgraded model, if the retailer can't get an exact replacement in within an acceptable timeframe (ACCC suggests 2 weeks).

Or lenovo could save everyone (themselves included) a tonne of time, money and inconvenience by getting one of their local 'business partners', to just do a straight swap, saving themselves a bunch of money, admin overhead (=money) and risk. They might even retain some shred of customer goodwill and reputation (due to the time and inconvenience it will save me). But I guess they're not big fans of win-win scenarios.

Oh well, guess I'll just fax my DOA authorisation form to the retailer tomorrow and a short note about my legal consumer rights and their legal rights as the retailer of goods with a manufacturing defect :smileyhappy:

Should be fun for all involved! :smileysad:

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 81
Kudos: 271
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

Hi papersplease,

First of all, welcome to Lenovo Forums!

I'm sorry that just became aware of your situation. It is regrettable that your failing machine is not fixed or even getting a replacement unit.

You're right it's impossible for you to go back to the reseller who is located so far away. While understanding your frustration, I am looking for a way to raise your case to customer service team in charge of your region.

Do you mind to send me a private message along with the details below?

• Full Name
  • Phone Contact
  • Email Address
  • Machine Type Model
  • Serial Number
  • Service Centre Case Number

Sorry for inconvenience caused and I really wish we could restore your confidence in Lenovo, again.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
papersplease

Thanks Cleo, pm has been sent.