Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

Re: New U400 - General

Punch Card
AshLikeSnow

[ Edited ]

@Thorshammer

Correction: Any hardware modification to the laptop voids the warranty.

Cracking open the case just to take a look - may or may not void ( i didn't ask ) I really doubt that lenovo can tell if you've opened the case or not... unless you really messed up the insides / forgot a screw.

@SDalpha

--

The alienware laptop your looking at is a whole different class.  Its a gaming laptop versus U400 which i guess is something like a premium portable?

The Alienware is like 1.4 inches high versus the U400's like .7 inches. weight is also in a totally different class.

--

Personally I think the U400 is totally better than the alienware value wise. (bang + size for buck).  Also the alienware is 90% certain going to have a 9.5mm SSD.  

There was just recently a newegg.com deal for 120gb SSD Corsair Force 3 SATA 3 500MB/s read and write  for $125 after rebate. Which came right after a $135 deal.  This is actually one of the better SSD's you can get.

If dell dosen't offer a cheap SSD, than you should just go buy one and install it yourself.  Alienwares are very easy to open up and mod.

-----

MY plan - wait until end of december for an SSD model.  If they don't, I'll buy a U400 and open it up.  Take a look at the components and put in the SSD myself.

Paper Tape
FourEyes

[ Edited ]

Throwaway account to reply to this thread in order to save you guys some trouble.

I went to a local frys and was able to get it popped open. On the back of the laptop is four square cushions and the two bigger ones hides two screws. These screws cannot be unscrewed with a standard wrench (they did not have a single tool that can open it) so pliers will do the job. After much grief, you cannot install a standard ssd into the machine. This is primarily due to the form and layout of the components in the laptop. There is an indent that exists with internal notebook hard drives that does not exist in a ssd. The USB 3.0 hub rests below this indent.  So essentially, an SSD without this indent will not fit because the USB 3.0 has nothing to fit snugly under. However, I tried to overcome this issue by simply moving the ssd away from the hub, which somewhat works but the ssd will no longer be mountable. But since an ssd is slightly thicker than a notebook hard drive, the back plate will not fit properly and a gap will be present in the corner with the ssd.

I called Lenovo tech support prior to my visit to Fry's and they said you can install an SSD on here, but doesn't seem like you can. In case you guys were wondering, I had a OCZ Vertex+ 120gb ssd. I guess I'll have to disassemble the ssd if I want it to fit.

Update: After disassembling the ssd it fits and boots way faster now. However, I still highly recommend to not open up the laptop. It's not made to be opened up because once you open it, it won't be the same. there are areas on the laptop that no longer fit snugly. You'll also get more chips around the edges of the laptops. Open the laptop at your own risk, I can see why lenovo voids warrenty when you open this now, too much damage.

Fanfold Paper
SDalpha1510

FourEyes wrote:

Thanks for the follow up as this is good information to know.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Thanks @FourEyes.  Sealed case design.  Choose carefully up front.  Got it.

Punch Card
raykok

thanks Four Eyes. as you've already seen the inside of the machine, did you see any msata slot (for rapid drive) and spare ram slot?

Paper Tape
crazyman2012

[ Edited ]

I do not usually register or write on forums. But I am making an exception for you guys.

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/

Navigate to "Notebooks > IdeaPad > U Series > U400".

Problem solved.

Punch Card
AshLikeSnow

[ Edited ]

@crazyman2010

You sir. You be my hero. I love you much happy.

@Foureyes

Thats some bad news for me.

Is it really bad?  Do you think its still worth opening up. I can't live without SSD :/

Punch Card
raykok

Crazyman, super useful info!

Fanfold Paper
SDalpha1510

Wow, Crazyman. That has about everything but a release date for the version I want.

Great stuff. thanks.