Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Mr_Dough

New Y550 battery failure, customer service failure. Unit had wrong OS too.

My daughter ordered a Y550 laptop with Windows 7 back on October 27.
Concerned about its late arrival she called Lenovo customer service to check on the status; they told her it had shipped. It had not.
Some weeks later we received the laptop and surprise! It had Vista installed instead of Windows 7. Called customer service, they asked for a few days to sort it out because there were many reports of this happening. We were surprised and annoyed but it seemed being patient was the right thing to do.
After some more time Lenovo notified us of the solution options available. Again, being patient and waiting for the Windows 7 install disks seemed like the right thing to do.
By this time, the battery had stopped working in the laptop - stuck saying 72% available, plugged in - not charging. Unit does not run on battery at all.
So we wait for Windows 7 to arrive to see if it fixes this problem
Windows 7 arrives and is installed - battery still does not work!
Now (Dec. 21) I call Lenovo customer service and talk to "Chris". He steps me through removing power and holding down the power button, etc., to see if it solves the problem. It does not. "Chris" assures me that there is no way they can send me a new battery by overnight delivery, but that he would send one as quickly as possible - 2-3 working days delivery time. OK, we will wait patiently.
Well "Chris" must have then gone on holiday because the replacement was never sent.
I called again Dec. 28 and got "Don" who said that in order to send a new battery we had to give them collateral (why didn't "Chris" tell me this a week earlier, when I might have felt like cooperating?). Now it is MORE THAN TWO MONTHS since we PAID IN FULL for this laptop, and we STILL don't have what we paid for: a Windows 7 unit that runs on battery. For me even the most minimal customer service would be to send out the new battery immediately without collateral and I became highly irritated.
So I asked to speak to the supervisor, and got "Anthony". He said he would have to get permission to send out a battery without collateral but he would look into it and get back to me. I never heard from him again. I assume he went off to join "Chris".
So my next step will have to be to insist on a complete refund. In doing so I will also certainly be filing a complaint with the New York State Attorney General's office Consumer Frauds Bureau.
It is astonishing to me that a brand such as Lenovo would shoot themselves in the foot with a grossly mismanaged delivery and worse customer service. I have dealt with Dell extensively and they always attempted to make quick resolutions of issues that arose. These days there is very little to differentiate the various laptop brands except for their customer service and the associated level of pain. I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Lenovo. I am only writing this note in the hope that somebody on this continent sees it with an interest in resolving the issue. I see people in the forum were happy with someone named Mark. I would love to encounter someone with any interest in helping us.

Paper Tape
vunguyen3

Re: New Y550 battery failure, customer service failure. Unit had wrong OS too.

I'm in the same boat as you, keep me updated if you ever get your battery. I'm currently waiting for a Fedex Sticker to send my system back.

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 77
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 126

Hi Mr_Dough,

Thanks for sharing your experience and i am sorry for what have happened to you. I wish to help and restore you confidence in Lenovo, let me try to get someone to assist you in this issue. Do you mind to send me a private message with some details?

• Full Name
  • Machine Type Model (e.g. 7660-14A))
  • Serial Number
  • Email address
  • Contact Phone Number
  • Case number (if you have any reference number given by Lenovo rep)
  • Order number

Thanks and wish you a happy new year.

Regards,
Cleo

WW Social Media

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
w1ngwangwong

Literally my exact same story to the tee. (though they did reflash our compuates with windows 7)

The sad part is that this has not happened to not just my computer, but also to another friend and my girlfriend (who i encouraged to buy the computer!)

For a computer that takes over a month to even be manufactured and sent out, this is absurd! 3 bad batteries?? In two different batches? Did you guys purchase the defective batteries from Sony (the manufacturer of my battery)?

To put more salt on the wound, the customer service person had the nerve to ask me to pay to have a more inclusive warranty.

I have the suspicion that this new battery they have sent me won't even fix my battery woes.

This is truly a customer service fail.

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 77
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 126

[ Edited ]

Hi w1ngwangwong,

Welcome to Lenovo Forum!

I'm surprised to know that you're asked to pay for inclusive warranty, and truly sorry for what have happened to you. I'll raise this up to the the person in charge of call centre and straighten things out.

Are the three batteries not charging and stucked at somewhere 75%? Machine not able to run on battery, too?

Please ping me with the same information i requested from Mr.Dough and let me see if i can get someone to sort it out. I really wish to put things right.

Anyway, appreciate your sharing and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Cleo

WW Social Media

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
zhtail

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. Battery says "90% available (plugged in, not charging)", and the system just shuts off immediately when the AC cord is unplugged. And same trouble for purchasing, delivering etc. This is horrible experience. Any help here?

Thanks,

Paper Tape
w1ngwangwong

This is not okay. This is absurd. I was promised a battery by the 1/7 (at the latest). It is now 5 days after this fictitious arrival date, and I have nothing to show for it. I called up Warranty support and they said it's now been delayed to the 19th because of a shrotage of batteries. As he said, apparently everyone has this problem. DEFECTIVE.

I told the customer service guy that I had searched all over google and read up on the problem. Many people have found a simple replacement of the battery not to solve the problem. I want this problem handled with, I asked if it would be better if I just sent in my entire computer. Apparently it was obvious that they don't have any clue of this "plugged in, not charging" problem.

Lenovo, you can't offer me anything for my trouble? I'm not the type to look for a freebie here, but this is absurd. 2 years of warranty is useless if I never had the computer. It has been 3.5 months since my order date and I have not had the computer I ordered (a windows 7, Battery operable laptop) yet for any amount of time. My patience has been tested to the point of no return. After this lot of computers, at this point, it looks like I'll never bother with a Lenovo again. And I'd suggest you to do the same unless they take some serious steps to change how they treat their customers.

Paper Tape
dm1976

i have exactly the same problem with the battery.

Cleo, can you arrange for a new one to be sent. This is pretty annoying given I bought this laptop 4 weeks ago.  Rgds

Paper Tape
w1ngwangwong

i got the new battery. and it did solve the problem. the best customer service will be not having to deal with any more computer problems. i pray that it works out for the rest of you with lenovo problems

What's DOS?
SarahKats

We have had the exact same problem (computer arrived with Visa, not 7, had to wait many weeks for 7, battery will not charge, computer turns off when unplugged).  Cleo, can you please direct me on how to get this fixed without having to call the general customer service number and get the terrible runaround these other users had to deal with?  Thank you much.