Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
PacoX

New Y550p Crashing

[ Edited ]

I recently bought a new Y550P, received it 5/14/10. It has only worked smoothly for one day. Two days ago I was listening to music on it, about an hour into my sesson the system froze up. All of my panel light were still on, but the machine was completly unresponsive. I was able to boot the machine fine after a hard reset. On Monday after work I decided to get onto my machine. I booted up the machine, loaded a game, within 15 minutes the system crashed again. When I did a hard rest this time the machine came on but my display was completely blank, the backlights didn't even turn on. I've seen this before in a motherboard problem. I tried booting the machine without the battery, and again with the battery and I had the same results. 

I let the machine sit for approx 1hr 45 min, this time I was able to successful boot the machine. I went on the internet to Google my problem and my machine crashed within an hour. I did a hard rest and tried to boot my machine in safe mode, it crashed before Windows could boot up. I then called it a night. 

Today before work I decided to give the machine one more go, it booted successfully (windows loaded, I logged in) and literally the span of five minutes I went to run Firefox only to find the machine has crashed on my once again. 

All of these crashes are complete system hang ups. No BSODs, no sudden power failure, the machine because completely unresponsive. I want to blame my problems on a bad driver before I call tech. In the event I do have to call tech, what number should I use?

Its not that I don't know how to look up the support number, its seems like most of the tech support resources I've found on the site are directed towards Thinkpad. In my past experience with this kind of issue, if you didn't have the right number you were SoL.

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

Re: New Y550p Crashing

This is the support site for Ideapad systems.Hope it helps you 

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/in/en/home/default.html

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Community Moderator
yigit

remove the ram sticks and re-seat them or use one of them to check issue persists if you can, also you can try to perform a clean windows installation.

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Serial Port
PacoX

What is lenmmaps.sys control? It looks like it's the driver that crashes right for the machine goes unresponsive. I'll resit the RAM lick suggested though. Mem and HDD test came back negative.
Community Moderator
yigit

can you upload the file somewhere on the web?

check system logs, by the way, right click my computer > manage > event logs.

Serial Port
PacoX

I went ahead and called support today. During my first call I was told to restore the machine. It took about four times to get the machine to cooperate, It blew the techs mind. He will tell me to power on the machine using Onekey and listen over the phone as the bios played it's song but the display remained blank. After that only the panel lit up, it tool more tries, one with windows loading halfway to get the restore process running. Unfortunatly the machine froze shortly (Windows Essentials agreement page pop up) after logging in. I had to call back with the hour. I was told to send the machine in for possible faulty RAM. I actually got the crash info pertaining to lenmmap.sys from Event Log. I didn't check it during tonights freezes because I the situation at hand is frustrating by itself espcially after work. A quick Google job stated lenmmap.sys is a digitally signed Lenovo driver, but about all I could find. It does seem like faulty RAM or a motherboard issue though. Forgot to mention after I restored the machine and it froze up again, windows reinstalled the video driver (generic driver, resolution got set to 800, absolutley no indication of my nvidia card) but went back to the nvidia driver after a quick (proper) reboot.
Community Moderator
yigit

do you have any dmp file?

Serial Port
PacoX

Can't get you a dmp file because I can no longer get pas the login screen, if I can get that far. With my luck, no if this we be repeatable at the service center :smileyhappy:. The machine was awesome when it worked, disappointed I didn't even get to break it in yet. I found it ironic that CS sent me my shipping instructions via email when the problem at hand is computer based. Interesting enough, I could find no instance of lenmmap.sys in my Event Log or on the machine after my restore yesterday.
Community Moderator
yigit

tried to perform clean windows installation?

Serial Port
PacoX

I did a full restore, the problem repeated itself within 30 min. The machine is now being shipped off.