Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
TenchiKai

Re: New discussion Y560 display issues

Hey all,

I have a Y560 with ATI mobility radeon graphics card. I've updated to 59 bios, and updated to the new Lenovo graphics drivers, then tried the ATI drivers...nothing helps my dancing pixels.

Any advice?

Fanfold Paper
codecop

[ Edited ]

Mark,

I have read this thread in its entirety and many of the other posts by pepemosca, Meetloaf13, leshcat, cukhi123, Diamond, et al. and I vouch that almost all of the problems they have mentioned are legit. I got my SECOND Lenovo Y560 yesterday (11-30-2010) and it's displaying pretty much all of the issues others have mentioned. The first one was bought on 11-24-2010 and had the same exact issues as the one I have got now.  I returned the first one and got this second unit thinking it was just a bad unit; I was not aware that many others were having similar issues.

Here's a quick list of all the issues I'm having (and had with the previous unit).  Note: Most of these problems are there with or without Windows Aero enabled.

1) Gradient issues – this is the worst problem of all! Colors are distorted, patchy and blocky.  Not just at extreme angles (which is a characteristic of LCD technology that I'm aware of) but even at "normal" 90 degree viewing axis.  For reference, I’m comparing against a brand new Fujitsu notebook.

2) Ants/dots running along the UI elements that have straight edges when dragging a window (note: not just the outer edges of a window but anywhere on a window that has a straight edge!)

3) Windows Experience Index needs to be recalculated on every reboot

4) When connected to external HDTV (Sony Bravia 1080P LCD Panel) via HDMI I noticed the picture is grainy, lacking sharpness and font is hard to read (because of jagged edges).  This is second biggest issue to me, how can it look so bad with such high end graphics card?  Again, using other notebooks as a reference.

5) Excel issue (artifacts) - I did notice the mentioned issues only in Aero mode (running Office 2010 Professional Plus)

Here are my system's tech specs:

Model: Y560/0646 (Black)

Specs: Core i7-740QM, 4GB RAM, 500GB 5200RPM HD, ATI Radeon 5730 1GB, Windows Home Premium

LCD Model: DISPLAY\AUO40EC\5&35a6fc52&0&UID256

ATI Driver: 8.752.0.0, 6/29/2010 (Note: older date!)

BIOS Version: BIOS Version/Date             LENOVO 30CN62WW, 7/23/2010 

Yes! I have version 62! @Mark, can you please let us know if this is an unreleased revision made to BIOS to fix such problems? In that case it hasn't helped a whole lot.

@Mark, Please let me know if you still want me to downgrade to the versions you mention in your post.  I say downgrade because it seems my BIOS is newer and ATI Driver is the same but dated differently. 

If time allows I'll try to take pictures of the issues I mentioned, to back all of this up.

@Mark, Can you please update us on what is being done about this issue? Do you have enough people reporting this issues now to escalate this problem to your engineers? It's definitely not isolated to Windows Aero and it's not a LCD thing, I bought Fijutsu on the same day as this laptop (11-30-2010) it displays none of these issues—it is, however, an Intel Core i5 machine with Intel HD Graphics. I would like to know if there is any fix for this otherwise I would have to return this also and get a refund.  I hope Lenovo can issue a fix, as I like everything else about this Laptop and Lenovo reputation—I own 2 other Lenovo Laptops and never had a single issue.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance

Thanks!

Edit: I do notice Excel issues in Aero mode.

Fanfold Paper
codecop

Below are the pictures I took to show the issues. Each of the pictures are annotated with red boxes to show the problem areas.

1) Excel issue not visible in Basic theme.  Excel issue present in Aero mode.

2.1) Gradient Issues in Non-Aero Mode: one, two, three, four, five

2.2) Gradient issues in Aero Mode: one, two, three, four

3) HDTV picture sharpness and quality issue via HDMI (bad): one, two; via VGA (good): one, two

I also notice one new problem and that's to do with flickering.  In normal usage I didn't notice it much but visiting gray background site such as http://www.tweetdeck.com/ there is very pronounced level of flickering on the screen.

At this point I don't know what else to try other than upgrading to the ATI driver from ATI's site.

Please review and any feedback you can provide is highly appreciated. 

Thanks

SCSI Port
Meetloaf13

I have been thinking that non-US machines have these problems, but you are from the U.S. and have an identical machine to mine except for one thing.  Your LCD panel is not an LG.  LG is known for making good laptop LCD panels.

As far as I'm concerned, the non-LCD panels are part of the problem.  If an LG panel owner can post with these problems, it will prove me wrong.  But I have zero of the problems. Especially where you indicate that you get pronounced flickering on tweetdeck.com.  I get NOTHING, just good looking grays.  If you will run the tests I indicated earlier on in this thread, it will give better comparison.  In fact, if everyone woul run those tests, I would imagine we'd see some definitive patterns crop up that correlate the brand of LCD panel & problems that exist.

It could also be a problem with the LCD brand of panel communicating with the drivers improperly.

Just a few thoughts.

| Lenovo Y560 06465BU | i7-740QM 1.73GHz | ATI HD 5730 1GB | 15.4" HD LED 1366x768 LGD229 | Intel Wi-Fi 1000 | Win 7 HP x64 | Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | 3dMark06 8189 | BIOS v62
HDMI
ryukensfj

[ Edited ]

What is the LG brand LCDs model number? I have the AUO40EC, is that a LG? I also have no problems with the flickering... but I'm using ATI 10.11

Lenovo Ideapad Y560 - 06462AU (Black)
HDMI
ryukensfj

My test...

Contrast:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

Good here, all boxes are different except for #1 at the optimal viewing angle (90degrees to the screen)

Banding:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

At that link, my picture is not exactly smooth.  But, it doesn't look like the bad example either.  I do see some fine discrete steps in gradient change (banding), but the gradient isn't mixed up like in their example.  The colors change appropriately, just not perfectly smooth.

Sharpness:

I fail this test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

Not sure how to adjust my sharpness.  I don't see this as a serious problem, but full disclosure here.  The squares do not blend in, they are still very distinguishable.

Gamma Calibration:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

This is off slightly, but changed the gamma to .80 instead of default 1.00 and it's better, but it affects the black level test a lot. so I left it back at default 1.00.

Pixel-Walk (Inversion/Flickering):

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Mine flickers on 7b quite nicely and if you brin 7a to the top of the screen it flickers very slightly.  But, I haven't been able to duplicate this anywhere else.  Meaning, haven't seen it or been able to reproduce it at all.

Black Level:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

At .80 gamma I can't see 1-9 but with default 1.00 I only can't see 1-3.

White Saturation:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

I cannot distinguish the last 3 boxes. (252-254)

Lenovo Ideapad Y560 - 06462AU (Black)
Token Ring
pepemosca

@Meetloaf13, what was the problem do you have with the LG panel?
I can't remember.

@codecop, can you post the images on other site?
I can't see them.
Sorry, and thanks!

I think we can't have confirmation about the good or bad quality of the LG LCD LED panels, because they are good and people are not looking for information on the forum.
Also, I can say that I had seen a LG panel on the Y560d and was OK.

Any other ideas about the LG?

Pepe, I don't really have a problem at all.  You can see the results of the LCD tests I ran, they are pretty much identical to Ryu's. 

Ryu, the model # of the LG is: LGD229

I am also running 10.11 ATI drivers.

| Lenovo Y560 06465BU | i7-740QM 1.73GHz | ATI HD 5730 1GB | 15.4" HD LED 1366x768 LGD229 | Intel Wi-Fi 1000 | Win 7 HP x64 | Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | 3dMark06 8189 | BIOS v62
Token Ring
pepemosca

@Meetloaf13, so... No problems at all! Great!

So, no HDMI problems? No flickering issues?
Great news!

@Pepe: Well, I can't vouch for the poor quality when using a monitor from the HDMI port...I will have to mess with this later as I'm moving right now, but I will check into it for sure.  Obviously that can't be tied to the LCD panel. But I'll definitely report back.