Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Corrupt graphics leading to consequent crash of laptop

can you check system logs or upload dump file?

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Punch Card
ghazianas

how to get the log? event viewer?

Community Moderator
yigit

yes, but if you have dump file, it's more important that you upload.

maf
Token Ring
maf

What is your processor and graphic card and System version?  Check the downloads page for a more current graphics driver.

I had blue screens before I updated mine, it is pretty common issue for y560.

Punch Card
ghazianas

its not just the blue screen. if the system goes to sleep its either I have to force shutdown of put it to sleep again because the monitor never wakes up. And after successfully returning from a sleep its 100% display error then blue screen if any thing flash related appeared by mistake on the browser (I am sure about youtube and embedded video players but not sure that flash is the reason) .. its weird that I am the only one having the problem. I did update the bios and the display drivers.
and for the dump file is it memory.dmp? its 450 MB!
HDMI
ryukensfj

I had the same issuel. I can't watch any youtube videos after waking up from sleeping. The display driver will crash and a BSOD will pop up and restart the computer. How can 1 laptop have so many issues... I should have bought an ASUS.

Lenovo Ideapad Y560 - 06462AU (Black)
Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

@ ryukensfj

try this first, then if it doesn't work, solutions below.

press windows, type msconfig and press enter. make sure /basevideo is unchecked on the boot menu. and restart.

the memory dump file is big due to hibernation. ( dump file of physical memory )

can you just try to replace or swap ram sticks, update bios if there's any new version, un-install power management and graphic drivers, restart your computer and when you see lenovo logo, press f8 to load on safe mode, then install power management and graphic drivers as "run as admin".

post back if issue persists.

HDMI
ryukensfj

[ Edited ]

@ yigit

baseideo is not checked... I just went to sleep and tried it again but this time it didn't have a bsod...

Why would I replace or swap ram sticks? They are working fine. I tested it with memtest. I have bios 58 and I am not going to update to bios 59 after hearing all the issues associated with it. For now the bsod hasn't come back so I'm not going to do anything. I have the 10.8 ATI installed, 8.762.0.0.

I'm going to try hibernation and see if the bsod comes back...

EDIT: hibernation didn't bring back the bsod. So I don't know what's up. I guess this is a good thing.

maf
Token Ring
maf

[ Edited ]

I have reproduced the display driver crash after viewing Youtube videos and resuming from sleep (it occurs for me when exiting Internet Explorer).  However, mine does not bluescreen or restart the PC.  The screen simples goes dark for a second and comes back with a message in the notification error that the AMD display driver unexpectedly shutdown and has recovered.

I have an i7 QM720 64-bit Win-7 with ATI HD5730 graphics.  My BIOS is 30CN62WW dated 23-Jul-2010.

I have not flashed the BIOS to any other version, but have updated the AMD graphics driver to 8.752.

The AMD 8.752 update did resolve BSOD issues with my laptop so I would recommend it.  However, I agree with others, that flashing the BIOS should be avoided.  The main purpose of the BIOS 59 that was released was to correct (some would say "mask") flaws in earlier laptop displays.  If you have a newer laptop, then your display most likely does not require the 59 BIOS.  Unless the BIOS version release notes (if there is such a thing for Lenovo) address the specific problem you are having, then use only as a last resort prior to shipping your unit back to factory for service.

HDMI
ryukensfj

Re: New discussion Y560 video issues

[ Edited ]

How about for future BIOS updates, we revert back to the old fan speed controller so that temps are lower. This is one reason why I don't want to upgrade to the newer BIOS. I'm currently running version 58 BIOS and 10.10 ATI CCC (8.782).

ATM I only have 2 problems:

1. If I leave the computer on for a while but close the lid. Occasionally it will freeze up when I try to use it, the mouse and keyboard are non responsive. I have to force shutdown by holding the power button.

2. Also the windows performance index keeps asking to be refreshed no matter how many times I click the refresh button.