Support in other languages: 
Retired Guru
ortegaluis
Accepted Solution

OneKey 6.0 and Lenovo IdeaPad Y430/Y530/Y730 Crazy Partitioning Scheme *****SOLUTION*****

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply, I will edit my post accordingly [regarding the fee]. It wasn't meant to be a fee, just a small donation for my efforts seeing as how I posted the full instructions and didn't leave anything out.

I edited this post to mark my tutorial [now the third post] as the solution, which will now be in green. Unfortunately, the first post is only meant to be for asking your question/requesting help and thus cannot be marked as the acceptable solution.

By the way, I am pretty sure you can recreate the OneKey Recovery partition with a Windows XP image and/or with your favorite Linux distribution. For linx, you may need to remove hard drive [**not sure if this voids your warranty but be careful**] and create the image with a spare hard drive running either XP or Vista because you need OKR 6.0 installed in order to create the backup image you will be replacing in the OneKey partition.

If you found that this is a solution for your situation, please come back and leave a thanks. I would like to see how many people benefitted from this tutorial.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 10-27-2008 08:32 AM
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 10-27-2008 08:38 AM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: OneKey 6.0 and Lenovo IdeaPad Y430/Y530/Y730 Crazy Partitioning Scheme *****SOLUTION*****

Hi.

Thanks for your solution - it'll be helpfull for all of us.

Old Thinkpads had 0x12 partition being actually FAT32 partition - traditions are strong...

I'll try to check if your solution works on Y510/Y710 and other *10 series laptops.

I doubt that asking fee for this is a righ decision.

If you look at this forum you'll notice that nobody is asking fee for their solution, insensitive to their effectiveness.

Anyway, it's up to you. Wait for moderators to say a word - I'm not so familiar with forum rules, maybe it is allowed... =)

Thanks for soltion anyway - I made this theme sticky.

//help will save the world
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Re: OneKey 6.0 and Lenovo IdeaPad Y430/Y530/Y730 Crazy Partitioning Scheme *****SOLUTION*****

[ Edited ]

First of all, I know a lot of you fellow Y430/Y530/Y730 owners are having some problems with the partition setup of your new laptops. I am glad to inform you that I have a solution for you that should allow you to maintain full functionality of the OneKey partition.

***I had another post regarding this issue but have decided to create a new one in hopes of it becoming a STICKY***

As we all may know, the newer generation Y430/Y530/Y730 laptops come with a C drive with well over 180GB of storage and a D drive with only 30GB for storage. Or some people have small C drives and large D drives. [Varies by configuration]

Remember, this is probably not feasible for the beginner. You must know more than the basics of a computer and you may also have to locate a certain program that will  be listed below. Now get ready to begin.

***Do this at your own risk as it may or may not void your warranty***

REQUIREMENTS

Lenovo OKR 6.0         ---Roughly 326MB download

PTEDIT32.EXE            ---Partition Table Editor by PowerQuest/Norton/Symantec

Some moderate knowledge on partition management

1) Boot with the NOVO key and start OneKey Recovery 6.0. Restore your computer to factory condition and start in Audit Mode [Ctrl + Shift + F3 at welcome screen]. If you want to regenerate the OneKey recovery installation for a Windows XP recovery, you will have to install Windows XP and it's respective drivers and software.

2) Resize your partitions with your favorite partition manager. Do not mess around with the recovery partition or else you will lose the functionality you are trying to fix. Once you have repartitioned your C and D drive with the amount of space you want for each drive, reboot and make sure the settings are fully functional. You can add additional partitions if you like.

3) You may also want to uninstall any software that comes bundled with the laptop to reduce the bloat. And add any software that you want in the new recovery image you will be creating.

4) Install OKR 6.0 on your computer [if it's not yet installed in factory condition] and create a full backup of your computer at it's current state. You must name the backup "factory". Place the backup files in your D drive so as to keep them safe.

5) Run PTEDIT32.EXE and select your disk which should be Drive 1. Double-click on the number "12" where it says "Type" for the third partition [which is your recovery partition]. A window should pop up and you will select "07 Installable File System (NTFS, HPFS)" and then click OK. Then click on "Save Changes" and confirm your decision. You will have to reboot in order for the changes to take effect. This will make the recovery partition visible so that you can replace the recovery image with the one you created. Be very careful from now on as you can permanently damage your recovery partition.

6) At the root of the directory, you will see "factory0000.DSI", "factory.wsi", and "factory.000"/"factory.001"/"factory.002" etc. etc. . Copy all of these files to another Folder in your D drive for safe keeping [or delete them if you don't intend on keeping the original factory image]. Copy the files for the backup image you created to the recovery partitions root directory.

7) Run PTEDIT32.EXE again and select the number "07" on "Type" for the third partition. Change it back to "12 Compaq diagnostics" and click OK. Then click on "Save Changes" and confirm your decision. Restart your computer so that the changes can take effect. Make sure that the recovery partition is no longer visible to Windows Explorer and shut down your computer. Press the NOVO key and select recovery from factory image. You should now fully recover to the newly designed factory image without all the bloat and the crazy partitioning. Your changes should be clearly noticeable.

****I take no responsibility for anything that can possibly screw up in your new laptop. I may have forgotten some steps but I will make sure that I update this tutorial for your sake****

I tried this method myself with my new Lenovo Y430 and a Windows XP Professional SP3 basic installation with no drivers except for the needed AHCI driver for installation and Lenovo OKR 6.0 which was used to create the new system image. The NOVO key was fully functional and I verified the recovery by deleting files that I created specifically for the verification technique I used.

Also, a thanks would be greatly appreciated. If anyone tries it, please let me know how it went and any issues/improvements that can be made.

---Luis Ortega

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 10-27-2008 12:00 PM
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 11-18-2008 01:35 AM
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 12-01-2008 11:03 AM
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 03-05-2009 07:54 PM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Fanfold Paper
Jaymond

Hi there,

thanks for your nicely explained solution.  I've just got a couple of questions for clarification...

To create a OKR installation that recovers to XP (using the NOVO key), I need to first install XP on the system drive, then install OKR 6.0, then create an image which is used to replace the default Vista recovery image on the hidden partition?

Where can I get the OKR 6.0 software XP version?

Thanks heaps.

J

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

As far as I know, OKR 6.0 [downloaded directly from Lenovo support site] is fully functional in the Y430 that I tested this on. Once XP is set up exactly the way you want it, you install OKR 6.0 and create your backup image. You can repartition it any which way that you want. Then you replace the image within the recovery partition. The new image must be named "factory.wsi".

I would recommend that you recover to factory Vista, boot into audit mode "Ctrl+Shift+F3", repartition the drive, recreate the image, replace the original in recovery partition, install XP and customize it to your liking, create a new full backup image of XP, and save it to its default location

This way you have a fully functioning Vista and XP backup with OneKey.

Fanfold Paper
Jaymond

Thanks for that; sounds like a good idea.

I'm having trouble location the OKR download link... could you point me in the right place?

thanks again.

J

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

[ Edited ]

OneKey Recovery 6.0

You may want to use a download manager as it is 326MB.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 02-07-2009 12:14 PM

Fanfold Paper
Jaymond

Just a couple more things...

1. Please explain "audit mode"

2. Can your original points 3. and 5. be done using any partition manager, or PTEdit only?

I want to get it right.

thanks

Jay

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

I had some weird counting going on in the post.

1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 4, 5......................LOL

What you are referring to is now point 5 and 7. There are several programs that can edit the partition type in either hex [0x07] or standard number [07] as what I used in the post. If you use a program that edits in hex, I believe the partition type is as follows......

5) from 0x12   to   0x07

7) from 0x07   to   0x12

And about Audit Mode [Vista only], when you recover to your factory settings, at the GUI for selecting language/keyboard settings, you hit Ctrl+Shift+F3 and it reboots into this mode [designed for OEM to install drivers and/or trialware/software]. In this mode, you can also uninstall the bloatware that is in the original setup and install any software you want in the image.

I would recommend you have another computer available [with internet access] in case you run into any problems/questions. This way you are not stuck and can ask for help.

Fanfold Paper
Jaymond

I'll probably be using GParted.  Will this do?

Yes I have my desktop PC also... so I won't get totally stuck.

Thanks again.

J