tonynca

Re: PETITION: U330 BIOS and PM UPGRADE

[ Edited ]
How often do you plug and unplug outside of windows? =/
Message Edited by tonynca on 12-10-2008 03:35 AM
Serial Port
c22dunbar

Tony, read carefully. he said that You still cannot turn the ac unplug sound OUTSIDE windows. on bootup or so.

i must say, i'm a bit dissapointed, that the new bios fix solves ONLY that one (though crucial) issue.

U330 owner
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

All,

Here are the instructions and links to the bios updates for systems that requried them, along with instructions for the Y430/Y530 that already had the capability to disable the startup sounds.

For Y430 and Y530 systems there is an option in the current BIOS settings to disable this feature.

Press F2 during boot to enter the BIOS setup.Use the left and right cursor controls (arrow keys) to select the Advanced tab at the top of the screen.

Use the up and down cursor controls (arrow keys) to select

Play POST Sound.

Use the + or – keys to change the setting.

Use the left and right cursor controls to select the Save & Exit tab at the top of the screen.

Select  “Save Changes and Reset.”

Select  “Yes” in the pop up window, and the system will restart with the new setting  

For the Y330, Y730 and U330 it is necessary to update the BIOS to be able to control this feature. 

Y330 BIOS and update instructions:

Y730 BIOS and update instructions: 

U330 BIOS and update instructions.

Once Bios updates are complete ....

Press F2 during boot to enter the BIOS setup.

Use the left and right cursor controls (arrow keys) to select the Advanced tab at the top of the screen.

Use the up and down cursor controls (arrow keys) to select Use the + or – keys to change the setting.  0 plays no sound, 2 plays the sound at the normal level, 1 plays a quieter sound.

Press F10 to Save & Exit 

Select  “Yes” in the pop up window, and the system will restart with the new setting 

c22dunbar,

I'll take a look at the sounds for the AC unplug event but suggest that it seems this sound should be addressable as a windows event and shouldn't require BIOS....

Other members cdislater, jrinco11, and nueuronimo  seemed to report success disabling the power beep through Windows...

"Go to Speakers properties > levels > mute pc beep…"

why not try that and see if you can mark another item off this petition...? :smileywink:

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 12-10-2008 07:56 AM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
gilkop

No Mark, 

This is not a windows event. 

Yes, you can turn of pc beep from windows, but it still beeps outside windows.

If you plug it it while booting up, before windows loads, it beeps.

If you shut down windows, or put it into hibernation, and then take the plug out, it beeps.

That means, that if I'm in the library, I always have to rememver to plug it out before I put it into hibernation. If I forget, it beeps.

You have known about this issue for months Mark, and chose to dismiss it as a windows event. This is a hardware issue, and should be addressed in the bios. I expected a little more professionalism from a big company like Lenovo. I was mistaken.

Serial Port
c22dunbar

what You talk about Mark works only while operating windows... as it is system specific to mute that sound. while bios is in charge, windows settings don't work.

U330 owner
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

I worked with a U330 in the lab a bit today and would like to suggest the following regarding the beep that sounds when AC is plugged or unplugged.

What I observed is that the beep only sounds if the system is active.   If the system is suspended, it is completely silent when AC is plugged or unpluged.

Please try this and confirm your experience points.  

1) With system active and running on AC, press FN+F1 to suspend. 

2) WAIT until all HDD activity ceases and the power led on the power button and the blue one on front of the unit are blinking - system is suspended.

3) Close lid, unplug AC.

There should be no sound - two U330 systems I tried (even with the original BIOS) do not make a sound in this scenario.

Let me know how this works for you.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Serial Port
c22dunbar

well Yea, it will work, as no power runs thru systems responsible for notifications.

when You put a laptop to sleep only ram is powered to keep its data.

but i dont understand what is the problem with disabling the sound for good? who needs that one anyway? or at least why so loud?

U330 owner
Paper Tape
cykill

I did the upgrade and now my wireless doesn't work anymore.  The wireless led doesn't even turn on.  Fn-F5 or the switch doesn't work either.  Anyone have this problem?

Paper Tape
cykill

Nevermind.  I found the problem.  I use Ubuntu as my os.  To flash the bios, I had to pop the original hard drive which had vista on it in order to flash the bios.  While I was in Vista, I disabled the wireless via the Lenovo wireless software before I flash the bios.  After the bios update was finished, I popped back in my ubuntu hard drive without reenabling the wireless via the Lenovo software in Vista.  So I had to put in my Vista hard drive, enable the wireless using the software and put my Ubuntu hard drive back in.  It's wierd cause I thought I can fully control the wireless via the buttons/switch on the laptop.  That's a new one on me.  Oh well, just thought I would put this here in case anyone has this problem.

Punch Card
JARJAR1145

[ Edited ]
Whats this about he wifi not working after the BIOS upgrade. Is this an isolated issue?
Message Edited by JARJAR1145 on 12-13-2008 08:30 PM