Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
SpyderPride

Possible failing hard drive? Z560 - Seagate ST9500325AS

[ Edited ]

I just need some advice or opinions on this issue I may be having.  Ever since I first got my Z560 in the mail a month or so ago, finished updating and installing everything I want, I've heard this intermittent quiet noise that I can only expect is the hard drive.  Its not really loud, but just loud enough to be heard when the room is really quiet.  It varies a bit, but is typically a little short buzz or a subtle whining sound.  It usually happens quite regularly though, every few seconds to several seconds, never more than 30 seconds between noises.

I ran GSmartControl, which tells me I have an increasing number of Reallocation Events.  It literally increases every day.  I got the DOS version of SeaTools, ran the Long Test and it reallocated several sectors.  The noises still persist, and the Reallocation Events keep increasing.  I am well over 400 now.  The Reallocated Sector count is at 78, which has remained constant since I used SeaTools weeks ago.

Where I am stuck is that SMART has not reported a failure yet, and the only thing giving me warnings about events is the unofficial GSmartControl application, not SeaTools.  However, as I previously stated, SeaTools did reallocate some sectors for me.  The noise is somewhat irritating but tolerable.

What should I do?  Back up my data and wait for it to fail? Or try to explain to Lenovo over the phone why I think I need a new drive?

XBrav
Topics: 16
Kudos: 82
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 37

Re: Possible failing hard drive? Z560 - Seagate ST9500325AS

I would back-up, and call in, explaining the weird circumstance:

1) There are a huge amount of reallocation events on the hard drive, even after restoring the system to factory state (since running the bootable SeaTools is about as equivilent)

2) There is a continuous harmonic buzz that is not coming from the speakers.

This should get you a replacement.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Fanfold Paper
SpyderPride

Re: Possible failing hard drive? Z560 - Seagate ST9500325AS

Thanks!