Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
idumlupinar
Accepted Solution

Problems with Lenovo's Policies and Lenovo Turkey Customer Support

Please Read carefully, two cases in this message:

Yesterday, i noticed a big issue within my notebook. I have a Y550 (P8700 cpu, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD, GT130M) and interestingly the battery only lasts 5 minutes before saving state of computer and turning of.

I called Customer Support, because it has only been approximately one year since my purchase. The support staff (don't remember his name) told me to use Lenovo Energy Management Program to check to capacity of battery. Well, i did try that but it didn't help my case. He also told me that Lenovo gives only 6 months warranty for battery, but other components has 2 years warranty.

It is totally unacceptable and false information. Because, i checked several online forums and resources and finally looked at Turkish Commercial laws and website fo industry and trade ministry.

The statement is: Batteries and Recharging Tools are under two years warranty.

So, Lenovo's policy is 6 months, but offical statement by Industry and Trade Ministry of Turkey is two years.

I read a user's topic (he owns another company's high end laptop) and he had a very similar case like mine. After receiving a reply like mine, he applies to a court against company and company had to replace his battery under warranty, even after 6 months.

Today, i called Lenovo Turkey again, (toll free line) and a madam (her name is Saadet) responded to my call. She tried to help. However, her responses was same as the day before. So she strongly says, it's Lenovo's policy to support batteries only for 6 months.

But, i don't understand this part. From her response:

"If your battery can last 10 minutes, then it means it is functional and we won't replace your battery under warranty. However, we can replace it for a cost. But, if your battery can't last even 10 minutes, then we replace it with a new battery under warranty."

So, the message above clearly states that, i can't get benefit of warranty now. It also means, i can't get the benefit of mobility of the product. Because under battery my system only lasts 5 minutes.

This is clearly unacceptable. Do i have to go and apply the court, in order to replace my battery under warranty?

Mark or someone please respond to this topic or pm me. I'm very nervous since i couldn't use my notebook with battery.

NOW THE SECOND CASE:

I'm a Microsoft Certified Trainer. I had a lot of classroom trainings last year. And i decided to purchase a good laptop (this one). In my mind, i decided to purchase a laptop which supports a lot of things.

By default, P8700 cpu supports the Intel Virtualization technology.

See the link below:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37006

However, i realized very late that i purchased a notebook which does actually support virtualization under theory, but comes as disabled by bios because of Lenovo's interesting sale policy.

The guys i talked before adviced me to purchase Thinkpad series to have virtualization benefits, after purchasing my y550.

You should have specified that intel virtualization is not supported with Y550 (even it has P8700 cpu) under brochures. While purchasing my laptop through the store (Vatan Computer, Izmir Store, Turkey) sales represantive and i discussed following:

ME: Does this model support virtualization?. Because i know that P8700 cpu supports virtualization.

Sales: Yes, P8700 supports virtualization. So, this model too...

I purchased my notebook after this chat. I couldn't have enough time to test virtualization feature at first several weeks. Because i had to manage my classroom trainings and documentations. Anyway, when i decide to test virtualization feature, surprise happens. A big let down by Lenovo.

I immediately called Lenovo Turkey and asked about the issue, they said: "We will report this to our headquarters and reply to you". I waited several days, weeks,months... Monitoring Lenovo Forums, calling Lenovo Turkey and so on... The BIOS update never come out officially. Then a guy released an unofficial bios update which claims to support virtualization. I desperately had to test it, but couldn't risk my notebook for it. So never installed that bios update and continued waiting for a offical BIOS update from Lenovo.

Many people around the world owns Lenovo Y550 with P8700 or similar cpus. And those computers still does not support virtualization. Right?

Because of these two cases (battery and virtualization) i'm going to apply to a court for refund and compensation.

Reasons: Lenovo clearly never told that virtualization is not supported with this product before selling it. Customer support delayed my requests about virtualization support. And finally, they provided misleading information about battery warranty.

Although i was quite happy with other features of my notebook, i am going to consult a lawyer and apply the court. If other ways to solve my problems, please respond to this topic.

Sorry it is a quite long post, i couldn't summarize my problem. But i had to add all related information.

http://www.ismetdumlupinar.com
Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Problems with Lenovo's Policies and Lenovo Turkey Customer Support

[ Edited ]

p8700 supports vt but you need bios update which there's not any available for vt.

( you can use feedback form to inform lenovo, but it may take some time and/or they may not publish new bios update )

for replacing battery, you should contact vatan computer, let them ship your laptop back to support line.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Serial Port
idumlupinar

Thanks Yigit, it is good to see your reply, however i don't believe it will be helpful in my case. I already contacted Lenovo Turkey, for all issues i had. For virtualization, i requested bios update, they told me to wait without stating it will be available or not. I believe i've waited quite some time. However i am going to fill the form if you direct me to the link. I see no reason to send my computer to store, since it will only delay the process of shipping. Lenovo offers free pickup, which i already requested once in a while because of wireless connection drop problem and they never picked up my notebook. Obviously Lenovo Turkey and headquarters are not getting in touch for such matters. Lenovo workers and headquarters, please wear my shoes for one minute and think about how would you be calm in this state? I simply paid for a feature that advertised by Intel as (supports virtualization) but Lenovo makes it impossible to use by disabling it under bios level, even not presenting an option to enable it. I have multiple valid reasons to go for lawsuit.
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

idumlupinar,

you might want to take a look at this post, Sorry for the short answer, but I hope it helps.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

andy came up with solution for vt, here's the solution for wireless issue :

right click my computer > manage > device management > network adapters > find your wireless adapter > double click > on power management tab, make sure "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" unchecked

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/driversdownloads/drivers_show_2576.html

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/driversdownloads/drivers_show_2577.html

click the one of the link below, and use feedback form.

for shipping and other issues, i'll also try to contact with lenovo, let's see if i can do anything for you.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

idumlupinar,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I appreciate the way you have explained these issues.

I'd like to look into the situation with your battery - could you please send me a private message with your name, address, phone number, and the serial number of your system.   I need to check the warranty status on your system and will investigate with service.  While batteries do wear down and are considered consumable,  you should have more than 10 mins of run time during warranty.  In most countries I am familiar with, our battery warranty is 1 year, however, it is possible that local country laws could supercede this and provide additional time.  I'm not familiar with a 6 month provision, which is why I need to look into this.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

On the virtualization - this has been discussed a number of times in the forum and escalated to the Idea development teams and the position has been that VT is not supported on IdeaPad.   However, there have been some instances where subsequent BIOS versions, notably on the U330, did enable this function.   Lenovo has not represented the product as support VT, however if you had that specific conversation with the store and they made that incorrect representation to you, then perhaps you have a claim against them?  

If not, perhaps Andy and Yigit's suggestions can provide alternative for you.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Serial Port
idumlupinar

Hello Mark, thanks for your detailed reply. For pm, I'm going to send it today.

Please reply to this message, as far as i remember Lenovo has a product catalog for stores right? So has it really been noted in those brochures that Lenovo Ideapad Y550 with specific cpu's does not support virtualization?

Let's say i am working in a store, how could i know that  a notebook with P8600 does not support virtualization? I would look for product brochures and review cpu specs. The guy, that i talked before buying my laptop was an average sales person. In Turkey Sales people can't do the magic, the statement is also valid for customers.

I read somewhere on this forums, that Ideapads are designed for people who surfs, plays, watches etc... Then why did Lenovo implemented a cpu that actually supports virtualization and disabled it, without clearly informing customer?

From ethical perspective, this is also a complex case. I can't find correct words to desribe it, but if a lawyer would read here, i believe he could give us more valid examples.

I paid approximately 1400$ to purchase this notebook to have all features that i need.

About battery i am going to contact you. However, i won't apply the virtualization workarounds which Lenovo does not support officially.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

let's say i am working in a store, how could i know that a notebook with p8600 does not support virtualization? i would look for product brochures and review cpu specs.

i also have y550 and checked user manual ( v1.0 ) but couldn't find anything about vt.

Serial Port
idumlupinar

Yigit, are you saying you are with me on this problem? If not: However, this link http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37006 clearly states P8700 supports VT (actually i own P8600 and it also supports VT) It must have been stated in Lenovo's Y550 User Guide initial release that that brand does not support virtualization. However it didn't include that critical information. So a sales representative could really use the reference of Intel's specs for questions about Virtualization. Btw when i bought this product, it had just been released in Turkey. And it didn't had too many fans, so i couldn't review user feedbacks on famous Turkish hardware forums. And people buying laptops for several reasons.
Community Moderator
yigit

in a way, yes but i wonder when did you notice that vt is not enabled?

didn't andy's solution work?