Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
boyle

Recovery DVD without Recovery partition?

I'm new owner of Y510. I just re-partition the harddisk to try XP.(30G+20G+the rest,recovery partition deleted)

I was disappointed that it had some flaws in XP. brightness fn./multimedia bttn/EQ modes didn't work like they should.
I'm thinking of reverting back to vista. but i'm not sure what the recovery DVD will do to the system.
Will it re-partition my HDD or just copy the system to the first partition?

I have some valueable data in the larger partition now, if the recov DVD will harm it,
I will wait until I can dispose that data before trying to revert to vista. thank you.

Punch Card
wernst

Re: Recovery DVD without Recovery partition?

[ Edited ]
Weird. The brightness hotkeys are literally the ONLY thing that XP on the Y510 has a problem with in my experience.

I have both XP and Vista on my Y510, and while Vista is surprisingly OK on this machine, XP just flies along like a rocket ship. I'd say my ratio of XP to Vista usage is 95% / 5%.

Perhaps try reinstallation again?

-Warr

Message Edited by wernst on 03-07-2008 11:23 AM
Punch Card
boyle

thanks for your comment.
but that's not my point to discuss xp/vista compat.
I just want to know if the recov. dvd will re-partition the HDD?
Retired Guru
skripatch

It's not clear, what you've done. You deleted Vista? Or you didn't? What 're you going to recover? What kind of DVD are you going to use - Vista DVD or Acronis/Norton etc ? Have you got an image of your Vista or only an install DVD?
//help will save the world
Punch Card
boyle

why, I don't think i can be more clear than this.
I re-partition the HDD and install XP.
That means vista is gone, along with the hidden recovery partition at the end of the HDD.

I ask if the recovery DVD provided with the notebook itself will re-partition my HDD again?
or just install a fresh copy of vista into the first partition.
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Yes, the recovery discs will repartition the hard drive and remove the XP you already installed. If you want to dual boot using the factory installed Vista you must run the restore discs first and add the second OS later.
The restore discs will always delete all partitions on the hard drive, repartition the drive and then install the recovery partition. Then you reboot to the recovery partition and restore the Operating System.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Retired Guru
skripatch

[ Edited ]
    If you get an OKR (One Key Recovery) disks provided for service centres (I've dealed with them by MYSELF)  you won't get your data lost. They are acting in another way! 
    So, what they do:
    1)They are allocating space at the end of HDD for a service partition
    2)They copy all your data from system partition to service (make an image)

If you have two partitions , one of which is C (XP installed, 30 gb), another one D (DATA, rest of the space on HDD), and use OKR disk, the only D partition will be damaged and only in case if it wasn't resized beforehand.

So, attention! How to restore the service partition and backup your currently installed system there safely :

1) Get the OKR disc =)
    2) Use any program you like (PartedMagic for example) to change D configuration - make it smaller 12 gb (the amount of space needed for service partition by default - this one can be changed in according *.bat fies in OKR disc - just open them and write down the amount of space you think you'll have enough to have your system partition recovered into service one).
    3) Run OKR disc and execute acoording *.bat file to allocate the space for service partition  ("recover.bat" as far as I remember)
    //now you have 3 partitions - C(SYSTEM) , D (DATA), and hidden empty service one.
    4) Run OKR disc and execute according *.bat file to backup your system partition with system as is - with drivers, settings, tweaks and software you like (usually "backup.bat" file does it).
    //now you have your system backuped on service partition and you can again use your NOVA recovery function.

IMPORTANT!

If you don't free the space for service partition there will be a conflict between service partition and partition you had on thet space before! In this case your previous partition will be DAMAGED, either it is D or C(if you have only one partition for the hole drive).

All this can be done with Vista and XP, but I doubt that with any UNIX-like OS.

I don't know, whether you've got an OKR disc or not.

Message Edited by skripatch on 03-17-2008 03:23 PM
//help will save the world
Serial Port
shoguevara

I have a little remark:
If you not sure what to do you better go to service center. It would be easyer than recovering lost data or reanimating dead machine=)
Punch Card
boyle

thank you, carbon_unit.
that's all i wanna know.

no offence but why everybody else keeps missing my point?
I thought my question was quite simple...
thanks for your attention anyway.