Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
BrunoB
Accepted Solution

Sata AHCI Inf for XP not detected & BIOS

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to install WinXP Pro on my Y510. As I don't want to loose AHCI features, I have integrated the drivers on my XP Pro CD with nLite. I integrated the Inf files according to the FAQs of this support forum.
XP installer does not detect any hard drive. What could it be?

* I integrated the folder "All" present in the downloaded file. Other folders have x64 and Vista drives. (I'm assuming that "All" means previous OSs)
* BIOS version:  06CN30WW (I have not updated the BIOS as I think this BIOS is newer. I bought the Y510 two weeks ago)
* Intel T5550, 4GB RAM, nVidia 8600M, Hard drive Hitachi HTS54 250GB)

Suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
BrunoB.

Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: Sata AHCI Inf for XP not detected & BIOS

Very strange.
Try integrating this universal AHCI driver that I usually use to integrate drivers. After install remember to install Lenovo driver.
//help will save the world
Serial Port
Fulong

@BrunoB :smileyhappy:

Just out of curiosity, if you had integrated the drivers, what drivers are you referring to here? And secondly, do they support the Intel 965M chipset which contains the AHCI driver for Lenovo Y510 IdeaPad? Also, are you slipstreaming Windows XP service pack 3 here as well? Don't forget nLite version 1.4.5 supports XP Service Pack 3.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/lenovo/drivers/2412/291.html (AHCI driver is inside chipset driver)

www.nliteos.com nLite version 1.4.5

Also don't forget to check your BIO settings for AHCI mode.
Y510-6 59012693 X86 XP-SP3

同一个世界同一个梦想
Fanfold Paper
BrunoB

First of all, thanks to both of you for the prompt answers.

I just integrated the intel drivers skripatch suggested. XP installer did detect hard drive and its partitions. Haven't installed XP yet as I have to back up some things first, but I don't think there will be any problem later. I'll let you know how it goes.

Answer to Fulong:
First I had integrated the drivers from lenovo site for Y510 as posted in the Y510 FAQs (The same for the link you provided.) Downloaded, extracted the infs and integrated de "All" folder. (The other folders were "Vista" and "x64".)
The "All" folder contained files named 965m.cat and 965m.inf and all the other cat's and inf's. So I think the chipset was covered. nLite integrated all the inf's for that folder.
nLite reported the drive as Intel PNP.
I used nLite 1.4.5 and a XP SP3 CD as base.

As this didn't work, I tried skripatch drivers. When integrating, nLite gave me the option to integrate them as PNP or text based drivers. I chose text based (50% chance :-))
This worked and setup detected the drive.

Question to skripatch:
Why do I have to install Lenovo chipset driver after XP has been installed? Are they better suited than those drivers from Intel?

Thank you skripatch.
Thank you Fulong.

Cheers,
BrunoB.

Retired Guru
skripatch

[ Edited ]
Fulong, great job =)
Look in FAQ - the same information there =)

BrunoB, in theory Lenovo chipset drivers are somehow optimised to work with otehr Lenovo drivers - ACPI for example, and that means improved energy consumption... Don't know exactly, since it's a deeply tech info, not opened for public, including me...
I recommend that just on case. Just to be sure that Lenovo drivers are for Lenovo hardware used.

Message Edited by skripatch on 06-01-2008 01:46 PM
Fanfold Paper
BrunoB

After struggling with audio drivers, I managed to finish the XP Pro installation. Apparently Windows remained in one piece.

If it is useful to other persons, I ended up installing the audio drivers posted at Lenovo's site and then, after realizing the small front speakers were not working, I installed the HD drivers from Realtek R1.94. Now they work.

The AHCI interface seems to work Ok. Thanks Skripatch for the files.

Cheers,

BrunoB.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
peeJ1029

I installed Windows XP on my IdeaPad Y530 with Windows Vista preinstalled. When I try to boot XP with AHCI enabled under SATA options in BIOS, it gets to the Microsoft Windows XP loading screen than my screen flashes a couple times and my system restarts. When I have IDE enabled instead of AHCI, I have no problems loading XP. However, whenever I try to load Vista with IDE enable, I get the same problem.

How can I get windows XP to work with AHCI enabled?

I have tried to install intel drivers in XP but during installation, it wants to replace files on my C drive (which is where Vista is located). XP is installed on a different partition (F).

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks.

Retired Guru
skripatch

peeJ1029, you have to update your HDD controller driver in WinXP. To update use that driver in archive.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
peeJ1029

skripatch, I'm not sure I understand when you say "use that driver in archive". Are you referring to the one you gave a link to above? The universal intel driver requires me to install the driver during XP install (which seems inevitable at this point). Is there any way to update the HDD controller without reinstalling XP?

Thanks.

Retired Guru
skripatch

peeJ1029, go to Device Manager in Windows and press "update driver" on HDD controller. After that always choose "I'll manually install driver, I have a disk" and point installer to unpacked driver from that archive in first post, if link is still working =)

You need SATA HBM/HEM controller if you're given a choice there.