Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
o0TMS0o
Accepted Solution

Solution for Multimedia Play/Pause button opening Windows Media Player on IdeaPad

Hi everybody,

As i'm fond of music and good music player, i don't use WMP but the wonderful Winamp.
I really like the sensitive multimedia button of my ideaPad U330 BUT how disapointed i was to observe that each time i used the Play/Pause button it opened WMP.
I did succeed to map all the keys with winamp by activating the hotkeys, but each time i tried to use play/pause it actually paused or played winamp but opened WMP ...

After some research i found i nice way to disable the opening of WMP, i will first explain how I did it so maybe some people could edit the method or go further with lenovo utilities. At the end of the post you'll find the very simple solution.

I spent some time on the forum where i found similar threads saying to use "SharpKeys" to remap the play/pause button to another keys, and map that another into winamp, but ... i didn't like it ... .

I used process monitor, which is a wonderful tool from Sysinternals (Microsoft Technet), which shows you everything, and especialy everything that happend in the registery in real time.

And i discovered that when you press one of the multmedia Keys it fires an application called "utility.exe" which is located here : C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Energy Management ....

which does that:
before
As you can see the first thing utility.exe does, is to locate the installation folder of WMP
then it tries (a lot of times) to create the file (i didn't add this part to my screenshot as it was about 50 lignes ...) after that it does some other registery thing i don't understand and finaly it fires wmplayer.exe..

in the first thread i read on the subject , someone said that when he deleted the "wmplayer.exe", pressing the play/pause button recreated it, it's because this "utility.exe" file is able to regenerate the exe from a repository in the some obscure windows folder ....

But well you see the process.

and then here is another screenshot after my modification :
after
As you can see it didn't fired wmplayer just because ... i change the installation directory in the registery ^^ so it says "NAME NOT FOUND" and wmp does pop up anymore ...

Well i don't really know what other consequences it makes, but as i hate WMP i don't really care ^^ but  guess it could hurt some update process or stuff like that.

So Here is my solution
1) Open regedit
2) go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer
3) locate the key called "Installation Directory" and rename it to "Installation DirectoryBAK" to make a backup
4) create a new string key called "Installation Directory" 
5) edit it and put whatever path you want, but different from the one from "Installation DirectoryBAK"
6) close the registery and give it a try !!

This solution works very well for me, but the "pro" solution would be to substitute wmplayer to any other player. But for that i guess it is needed to edit utility.exe in assembler langage or something like that, and it's way too complicated for me.. but if someone have those skills it would be great ^^

Hope this helps
thanks for reading

sim
What's DOS?
sim

Re: Solution for Multimedia Play/Pause button opening Windows Media Player on IdeaPad

THANKS ! I spent a good 2 hours trying to resolve this, and I am really dissapointed that Lenovo doesn't let you pick a program to hotkey.

I am very thankful for your work on this, I can now like you enjoy winamp again to my hearts content.

Paper Tape
budyn

Re: Solution for Multimedia Play/Pause button opening Windows Media Player on IdeaPad

Hello,

and please excuse my English   :-)

I was surprised too when I saw that in my IdeaPad Y530 isn't possible to set other application for "Play/Pause" button than WMP :-(

Like you wrote, "utility.exe" is searching registry for path to WMP and then launch it.  There is a "wmplayer.exe" string in "utility.exe" file so it is unchangeable, I think . I can't understand it.

Is possible to patch "utility.exe" but this is Lenovo job - to give customers good working app.

I think changing registry key is now only one fast method.

One question: I see in "utility.exe" string "Right-click the icon to select the program or file that you want assigned to the hotkey". When/where app shows this text ?

Serial Port
o0TMS0o

I guess it is for changing other hotkey, as you can link other apps to other hotkey.

BUT, just go for Win7 .. i'm running  it since july and i just installed winamp and the play/pause button works out of the box. WMP works as well.

Maybe they did a change in the utility.exe for the win7 version.

that's all i can say.

Have fun

Fanfold Paper
MFoxBR

Thank you man! Worked perfectly here! :smileywink:

Community Moderator
yigit

changing "default applications" not helped?

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
Lucas86

I'm also running on Win7 and I've installed the newest HOTKEYS driver from Lenovo site and set the "default applications" to VLC media player but it haven't helped whit the PLAY/PAUSE key which is still starting up WMP. What am I doing wrong?

Community Moderator
yigit

skripatch wrote:

you may turn these buttons off in device manager (rightclick on their driver and click "disable" ) i suggest.
seems like these buttons are firmly connected with wmp and there's no way for now to change that.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
paulkaye

I've just found this post as I'm having a similar problem. You say in item 5 to put "whatever path you want". Do you mean a random path so that WMP can't start or a specific path to your media player of choice?

Community Moderator
yigit

@ paulkaye

the one i posted here didn't work?