Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
alan93

Still Wireless Network Problems - Worst Ever

In the age of networking, which granted, is not very long, I have never experienced such trouble.
I started my new home running my own cat5 using the first D-link, then switched to a newer wireless D-link and ran my old Dell Latitude allover the house and on the back deck. I was a surfing fool.
Then got a new TRENDnet TEW-432BRP wireless last year. STILL NO PROBLEM.
Sold DELL on Ebay, bought LEVNOVO with VISTA HP ->>>>PROBLEMS (note capital P).

Router is centrally located in house in a closet btw

Sometimes it will  connect, sometimes it won't . It seems to just about always connect when I am standing 5 feet from the router. 20 feet things get flakey. In basement 15 feet away, disaster. Bedroom nada.
If connected it drops connection.

I have tried.
1.  Uninstalled Intel Driver and reinstalled. Suggested by LEVONO tech support (and this was all they knew to try unbelievably)
2. With security (WEP) and without.
3. Changing channel from 6 to 11 and back again.
4. Tried changing adapter settings on wireless settings by specifying IP address and setting ("Use following IP Address, subnet mask, default gateway) and using "Obtain an IP address automatically".
5. Deleting and adding new wireless connections manually.
6. more but can't think of it now.

What it does:
1. Connects at first, then when it is moved away more than 20 feet from router either loses Internet or lan both.
2. Connects when login automatically (rarely)
3. Shows red x on adadpter icon in task bar (ususally)
4. Always shows wireless network detected!!
5. Try to connect manually -> usually doesn't work and prompts to use vista diagnoses .
6. Connects locally but not to internet.
7. TRENDnet uses a program called network magic and was not able to install this on the LEVNOVO. This might be part of the problem but not sure.

Serial Port
djonepl

Re: Still Wireless Network Problems - Worst Ever

i had a simular problem but the fault was in the router, it had very weak signal it was Bussess router from Linksys VS200 or something like that it was brand new out of the box, when i put the laptop on top of the router  i didnt get 100% signal only 80% after replacing the router i had no problems.
Serial Port
alan93

I would suspect the router if it hadn't worked so well with older D-link card and older computer.
Routers can go bad but I'm not susptecting that.

I did find a suggestion on another wireless site about the Intel adapter drivers. So I downloaded that and installed it. Also the network drivers from lenovo site. It has improved remarkably.

It connects by itself but still drops connection when on battery and moved 30-50 feet away. I'm not convinced the issue could be Vista/wireless related because i've see a lot of registry fixes out for this topic.

ALSO, why don't the crazy computer companies but a driver update link on the desktop of their boxed computers so people don't have to go crazy the first week after they buy the thing. It might even cut down on their returns. It would be better than putting all the other garbage software they put on these things.
Serial Port
alan93

I just want to add , the reason I finally suspected the Intel adapter was that when i did the Intel diagnostic test (lower left on network sharing vista window) it failed on the first test and said adapter not installed even after connecting a few times.

also kept getting an ethernet driver did not update message. Where in the world do I get that?? Didn't see it on included drivers disk or the Lenovo support downloads website. !
Serial Port
alan93

Just an update, after the driver install, I now have 11.1.1.16 june 20 2007.
I still don't get an auto connection on boot up.
I have to constantly connect manually and that is still flaky.
If i put it to sleep , for get it I can't connect unless i reboot.
If I go on battery or 30-50 feet away, it disconnects.

Does anybody use the intel wireless tool in lower left of Network Sharing center?

I run the diagnose in it and it fails on the first one while i am connected to the ineternet.!?!?!
It says the wireless adapter is disabled or uninstalled.

Sometimes this first hardware test has passed but other times the Association test fails, what ever that is.

No rhyme or reason still on connecting wireless.
Punch Card
Solfire

Wow, it's unfortunate you're dealing with that mess right now. I can't really say I can help, I just wanted to add that my internet's been dropping aswell since I've done a recovery on my laptop.
Serial Port
alan93

[ Edited ]
I think i finally figured it out.
Got the newest INTEL driver

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

I think a crash undid my previous update.

First I had 10.0 , then 11.1, now the above.

Now it connects, stays connected, and the range is longer, and it works on battery.

Message Edited by alan93 on 03-10-2008 06:09 PM

Message Edited by alan93 on 03-10-2008 06:09 PM
Serial Port
alan93

Solved for good this time. Last problem was mpbs going from 1 mbps up to 38 but not 54. It mostly stayed at 11 but would often go to 1.

Changed channel on router to 1 after 6 and 11 didn't work.

Solution summary for this problem was:

Updated to newest Intel Drivers
Changed channel on router wirless seting.

Also updated firmware on router but not sure if that was a factor.