Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
xvaa

U110 Hardware Refresh?

The U110 is a gorgeous machine, but it's never lived up to the specs given at CES (SSD etc), and is no longer on the edge as far as high-end, low-heat-low-power components go (ie Centrino2 with X4500). Some of the reviews have made me worry about the screen (so thick with gloss as to appear grainy) and keyboard (key edge overlaps?) as well, discouraging me from making a purchase involving the first incarnation of the U110.

Will this be a one-time, one-run product or will refreshes come eventually?

The screen and keyboard quality is more of a concern for me than its computing power, if that has any bearing on the answer - it's understandable that engineering cutting-edge components into an 11" fashion notebook isn't always possible after taking TDP factors and desired features into account.

Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: U110 Hardware Refresh?

No refresh. New hardware in new models only. Old models stay unupdated.
//help will save the world
Serial Port
xvaa

[ Edited ]

They've refreshed the 17" (Y710 to Y730) and 15" (Y510 to Y530) Ideapads, though, adding Centrino2 components etc to the new models. The U110 is newer than those in terms of release date, but it's still the same-generation hardware as the other YX10 models.

"Will be an Ideapad U130?"

Is what I should've included in the first post.

Message Edited by xvaa on 09-11-2008 10:50 AM
Retired Guru
skripatch

Well, I can't say it's refreshing. It's another model within Screen Width Line Products.

I suggest no U130 - U330 and maybe Y330 are going to replace U110. I suppose thatproducing of cheap netbooks is more important worldwide now than making small expencive laptops. Maybe when netbook wave goes down there will be some new branch of expencive small laptops.

Serial Port
xvaa

[ Edited ]
That's what I imagine will be the case, but I'd like to get some official hint as to whether there'll be a discontinuation or update of the U110 line. I suppose a SSD or screen/keyboard change is the only refresh they could do in the current line.
Even if it's a *wink* "I can't confirm OR DENY that at this point in time" *nudge* I'd like to get some response from a Lenovo rep about an update or U130 etc.

edit: thank you though, skripatch - your responses are reasonable and very likely correct
Message Edited by xvaa on 09-11-2008 12:04 PM
Serial Port
xvaa

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/ipbook.pdf

The IPbook shows two new models for September 2008, but I don't see any difference aside from the date beside them. Does anyone know what the deal is? Will there eventually be SSDs made available, or would I need to buy a 1.8" ATA-100 SSD after market and add it myself?

(+ bump for answer to earlier questions) 

Serial Port
xvaa

two-month bump, still curious for official word
Retired Guru
skripatch

Well, U110 is an old Santa Rosa platform. It doubtly will be refreshed. If you want to insert SSD you'll have to find proper one. Doubtly you'll find one with PATA interface... It ill be costy anyway.

Maybe Lenovo will make another laptop like U130 in future, but nobody can tell for sure.

Serial Port
xvaa

CES confirmed, U130 is coming.

Nothing specific from what I've read, other than launch month of February.

Booya :smileyhappy: 

Serial Port
xvaa

[ Edited ]

From what I've found, it's mostly the same in terms of external design except for a matte keyboard and palmrest (U110 has glossy keyboard and palmrest). They're keeping the tendrils for the lid and patterned heat vents for the bottom, by all accounts.

Not sure why it isn't available yet, but I'll assume it's DDR3-based with either the x4500 + Core2 or they're holding off for Ion + i7. Either way, they'll likely go ULV for size and thermals. They're dropping price on the U110, but I haven't seen head nor tail of the U130 in terms of consumer availability.

Message Edited by xvaa on 02-22-2009 09:21 PM