Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jbgrzy

U310 Unboxing and first impressions

[ Edited ]

The day started as any normal day, except that this time, the first thing I did was to check the UPS tracking number for my new Ideapad U310. It was previously scheduled for delivery that day, but of course, I needed to make sure that nothing changed, right?

Well, of course, nothing changed. It was indeed scheduled to arrive that day, but unfortunately I live at the end of the UPS delivery route, so we don’t usually get our packages until sometime between 5:00 and 7:00pm.

That morning was spent picking up my nephew to hang out with my family for the day, and other odd jobs. (And periodically checking the UPS tracking number. I know, I know, tracking information doesn’t usually change much on delivery day)

That afternoon, my brother and I went out to see a movie. (The Avengers was awesome!) The movie succeeded in distracting me from the excitement of my new laptop. However, on the way out of the theatre, it hit me again. “Oh yeah! My laptop’s coming!”

I drove the last half hour home and when I pulled on to my street, there was the UPS truck, a few houses past mine. YES! That means he just delivered it! I tried my hardest not to speed the rest of the way home, and quickly went inside to my package.

It was a box about a foot tall, and just big enough width and lengthwise to fit the Ideapad U310 box. I opened that, and threw aside the crumpled paper packaging and . . . there it was. A thin black box with a profile picture of the U310. Beautiful.

I pulled that out, cut through the seal, and opened the box. I swear I saw light-rays coming from in the box, and heard a chorus of angels singing. Of course, to keep the excitement drawn out, I decided to unpackage the power cable first. It was nice and small. Smaller than most other power adapters. Then I moved on to the “ship group”; the manuals and warranty information. That quickly bored me, so I decided to move on to the piece de resistance, the laptop itself.

It was in a black protective sleeve made out of recyclable materials. I opened that up and slid out the laptop. “Darn! That’s thin!” It was beautiful. The graphite gray looked very nice. I spent a minute turning it around and admiring the weight, thinness, and overall design. “Beautiful.” Then I opened it up. “Wow!”

Ideapad U310Ideapad U310 Open

I tested the island-style keyboard and loved the feel of it. Then I couldn’t wait any longer; I pressed the power button.

It moved through the BIOS POST screen very fast, but then got bogged down as Windows 7 got its act together. So, after waiting what seemed like forever for Windows to set itself up, I was finally at the desktop.

After using it for a week now, I still love it. I love the thinness. I love the weight. Sure, it could be thinner, it could have weighed less, but then I would have paid several hundred dollars more for it. As it stood,  with an i3, it was a little on the slow side for me, but that was because I was used to an i5 machine running off of a Solid State Drive, with 8 GB of memory. So I bought a SSD and 8 GB of memory to suit my needs, but the normal user won’t need to.

I would recommend this Ultrabook to anyone, and has even more reinforced my love for Lenovo products.

[Edit] Just to clarify, I purchased the 8 GB memory and SSD separate from the U310 and installed them myself. (I do not recommend the average user doing this.)

Also, on boot/resume speeds.

Using the original configuration (Windows 7, 4 GB memory, 500 GB 5200 rpm HDD), the boot was anywhere between 30 seconds to 80 seconds. I was a little disappointed that it couldn't seem to settle on a boot time, even after several runs of the boot optimizer. Also with this configuration, the resume appeared to be 1 second, but was more like 3 seconds. What I mean is, when I opened the screen, it would take 1 second to show the desktop, but around 2 more seconds until it would let me move the mouse.

However, with my new configuration (Windows 8 Release Preview, 8 GB memory, and 128 GB SSD), I was getting boot speeds of around 10 seconds, and resume time of 2 seconds. Pretty slick.

Thanks, and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: U310 Unboxing and first impressions

Nice. Good machine. So i3 CPU?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Great!

Please keep us up to date as you explore your new system ... I'm sure others will appreciate hearing about about your thoughts on build quality, weight, performance, keyboard and touchpad feel,  recharge and run times.

First boot (out of box) setup for windows probably takes longer than subsequent boots... lt would be interesting to get your thoughts on this - to see how much improved normal boots are.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 79
Kudos: 260
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

jbgrzy,

Nice sharing! Yes the SSD is super awesome as it everything is so fast with it! We have a u300s in the lab and it's very thin too with SSD. Thumbs up! Now you get 8GB for it! I must say you really have a good deal indeed!

Maybe you can share how many secs it takes to start up, resume from sleep/hibernation, etc. :smileywink:

Remember to create recovery discs!

- Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
pinsicchio

Does opening the PC to put an SSD into it void warranty? I'd like to put one in mine also, but I don't want to lose the warranty...

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Paper Tape
pinsicchio

what a pity... And do you know if changing the partition table voids it? I'd like to install 2 operating systems in it and I'd like to delete all the "useless" partitions like the lenovo recovery one and the LENOVO one
Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Pinsicchio, changing the HDD partition and installing new OS should not void the warranty,

but please save first an image of the original HDD, so you may go back to OEM installation any time you like.

Zehn

Paper Tape
pinsicchio

I made a backup image of windows, but how can I make an image of all the hard disk?

Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Pinsicchio, may create recovery discs and/ore use a software like Acronis...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/OneKey-vs-Acronis-True-Image-Home/m-p/150114#...

Zehn